CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Todd_Bryers
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have no internet and the Link light is switching between blue/white/off on my Gateway.

Answered

Hello! Hoping somebody can assist as getting very frustrated after 2 months without internet or phone! We moved into our new house (FTTN) and finally had NBN connection finalised today.

Telstra instructed that my previous FTTP gateway connection white box will work (white F@ST5355) despite it saying suitable for FTTP and Fixed Wireless on the box. Issue is Link light  is switching between blue/white/off. No lights for phone/online. Power and wifi lights are green.

we can see wifi signal but not access data. image.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Todd_Bryers
Accepted Solution

Re: I have no internet and the Link light is switching between blue/white/off on my Gateway.

Thanks again, Finally have internet! NBN returned and, in their defence, in turned out to be an error by the electrician when connecting the wires in the garage - something to do with stripping the plastic covering when he shouldn't have. Fortunately the NBN person was kind enough to do the (seemingly simple) electrical fix that was required - and we are all set. Good to have internet again after 2 months !

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: I have no internet and the Link light is switching between blue/white/off on my Gateway.

The F@st5355 can be used for all types of NBN.

The link should be green. If it is switching from off/white/blue/off it means that the gateway is connecting to the node but can not synchronize with the node.

Connect the DSL port on gateway directly to phone socket without using an ADSL filter.

Todd_Bryers

Thanks for quick reply cf4! Good to know about gateway. I actually have two the same, so was able to eliminate that as the likely cause. I have done as you said and still get blue/white/off. Should I give up? Do I complain to Telstra or NBN - unless of course the electrician is at fault !? I really appreciate you taking the time out to try and assist.

It hard to say who is at fault in your situation with new house wiring. It could be NBN Co or the electrician.

The wires in the cable are arrange in pairs. The electrician might have used two wires from different pairs by mistake instead of using wires in a single pair. The electrician might have made a loose termination.

It could be a cable fault which would be NBN Co responsibility, but you would have to contact Telstra to get that fixed and not NBN Co and if a NBN technician is called out and the fault is in the house wiring they would charge you for there time.

If the electrician is local I would call him back. As a last resort he could temporarily connect the street cable in the shed to a phone socket plug the gateway into the socket and see if Link and Online light turn green. That would prove weather it was house wiring or the NBN cable.

You said in your previous post that
"The NBN person said we are now live (and I confirm we can see internet signal, but not access data)"

How do you know that you had internet signal?

Todd_Bryers

Thanks cf4!
I meant that I could see the wifi on my devices and could enter my password - so probably wrong to say I could see internet signal.
Wifi is working for (say) networking computer to printer or smart Tv.

If NBN Co Tech had never actually tested the signal from Node to your house then it is more likely to be a cable fault and I would contact Telstra NBN support.

Todd_Bryers

Thanks cf4. I have contacted Telstra support as you suggested. They believe the fault will be NBN external to property. They have promised a 24 hour fix. Fingers crossed! I will let you know outcome..
Support Team
Support Team

Glad to hear there's a fix on the way. Please keep us in the loop, Todd - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Todd_Bryers
Accepted Solution

Thanks again, Finally have internet! NBN returned and, in their defence, in turned out to be an error by the electrician when connecting the wires in the garage - something to do with stripping the plastic covering when he shouldn't have. Fortunately the NBN person was kind enough to do the (seemingly simple) electrical fix that was required - and we are all set. Good to have internet again after 2 months !

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now