Highlighted
Vinhead
Level 1: Cadet

Installing new asus DSL-ac68u modem issues

Answered
Hi I'm trying to install a new asus DSL-ac68u modem. I can't connect to the Internet even though I believe I am applying all the correct settings for the telstra service.
Currently using PPPoA VCMUX VPI:8 VCI:35.
When I try to open a website I get a reason for failed connection "the telephone cable or Ethernet cable is not plugged in" I have checked the cable it all works fine with the old modem.
It also notes that the ADSL link is up so I'm not sure what I'm missing.
Hope someone can help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesH66
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Installing new asus DSL-ac68u modem issues

I had the same problem but managed to solve it.

1. Do a hard reset. Press and hold the WPS button. Turn the modem off at the back. Keep holding the WPS button and turn it back on again keeping hold of the WPS button for 5 seconds.

2. The modem should automatically find your NBN settings and after about 5 minutes, you should have your power led, both wifi LED's, your ethernet LED and the internet LED.

3. Then open a browser and it should automatically take you to the welcome to ASUS setup page. 

**** I am with Telstra and did not have to touch the Internet Options. I just had to enter a new login for the router and change the WiFi Passwords.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Level 20: Director

Hello there mate,

Try this link - https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/advanced-adsl-set-up-instructions-for-byo-modem-models

Have a read and see how you go.

Could also try this - https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/troubleshooting-adsl-hng#cat=Broadband%20%26%20Email

Also reboot your modem by unpluging the power from the modem for 2 mins and plug it back it, wait for it to sync.

Vinhead

Hi Extendo,

Thanks for those links, I have already been through that first link, but I haven't been able to resolve the issue.

I have also rebooted the modem and reset it to factory settings a couple of times as well.

This might be a silly question but the username as mentioned in the advanced set up should be myusername@bigpond?

It shouldn't be myusername@bigpond.com? Also I believe the password would be the same password i use to log into my bigpond account?

I'm also getting in touch with ASUS in case the problem is with their hardware

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Vinhead,

I'm unfamiliar with that modem, but if the setup is asking for your login details, it will be the full <username@bigpond.com> and the password for that address. Give ASUS a call, it could be something they can assist with. 

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Shaunsmith

I'm having the same issue. Seems to be an authentication issue I think.. Keep us updated vinhead
Shaun
CrusaderRabbit

Hi Vinhead, Shaun

We are having the same problem as well. Would appreciate you sharing how you resolve your issues.

Thank you

Melinda

f4rt4cus

Guys changed mine to PPOE and encapsulation to LLC and it worked

Janidu18

I'm having issues with setting up the router

Any help? With the router setup?
Webbuddy

I was also having difficulty connecting and following the advice here did the trick

"Also reboot your modem by unpluging the power from the modem for 2 mins and plug it back it, wait for it to sync."

Use the Quick Internet Setup and at the prompt select 

(Australia) Telstra

Connection Type: PPPoA

Username:<yourusername>@bigpond.com

Hope this helps others.

First impressions on this Modem Router are very positive

ian66

I have spent a full day trying to get this modem to work getting messages such as:

• PPPoE, PPPoA or VPN authentication failed.
  • Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings.

Tried every variation of the settings I could think of and alsotried the telstra broadband assistant which assures me that I am on the net - all to no avail - so I have given up, life is to short,  and set the ASUS up as a router for my old Billion which runs flawlessly - I have a stronger signal strength but no 5ghz band.  So much for their 30 second easy set-up ad.

cyfoid

Hi ian66, I had the same issue with this router when I was setting it up for the first time. Do you know which firmware version you are running? The reason I ask is 'out of the box', this Asus model does not work with a lot of Australian ISP's. You'll need to update to the latest firmware before it starts working.

Once I updated the firmware, the router was flawless. Cheers
bazza68

Hi,

I have tried all of the suggestions updated the firmware but still cannot connect. I get the message "the telephone cable or Ethernet cable is not plugged in" I have checked the cable it all works fine with the old modem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that might work?

Thanks, Barry

Alex-Telstra

Go to Administration menu, DSL Settings and set Modulation G.Dmt.

This will give you in reality ADSL(1), MAX 8Mbps, but personally I can stream with no problem from Internet.

Quigs

I'm having problems with this modem router as well

i have updated the firmware but can't get a connection.

my previous Thomson tg782t settings said its connection was through IPoeDSL

If I choose this setting I have to add my own IP address, gateway address etc.

if I copy these from the Thomson it says I am connected to the Internet but in fact nothing actually works.

if I choose PPPoE or pppoa I don't even get any addresses allocated at all and hence get no connection.

i think I have tried every combination possible.

Please help.

Quigs

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Quigs, 

You may need to factory reset your modem to get it defaulted back to it's 'out of the box' settings.  Then try setting up it up again.  When you're asked for a connection type choose PPPoE and then enter your BigPond username and password. This is all you should have to do.

Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mikecamimo
Level 2: Rookie

Whilst I was connecting fine with my DSL-AC68U using PPPoA VC-Mux, I was getting random 'serial link appears to be disconnected' errors a number of times a day:

Line 5676: May 15 04:07:57 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 5710: May 15 08:33:14 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 5760: May 15 12:51:43 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 5798: May 15 18:54:01 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 5861: May 15 22:56:22 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 5900: May 16 03:21:49 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 5943: May 16 05:19:40 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 5977: May 16 10:26:36 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 6019: May 16 13:12:35 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 6059: May 16 16:47:01 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 6097: May 16 21:00:16 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 6141: May 16 23:51:57 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 6181: May 17 03:20:25 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Line 6220: May 17 07:08:15 pppd[835]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.

Yesterday after reading some Whirlpool forum posts I changed it to PPPoE LCC as suggested by some forumers. I've not had any disconnects since yesterday so its looking promising. 

Hope this helps someone else Smiley Happy

JamesH66
Accepted Solution

I had the same problem but managed to solve it.

1. Do a hard reset. Press and hold the WPS button. Turn the modem off at the back. Keep holding the WPS button and turn it back on again keeping hold of the WPS button for 5 seconds.

2. The modem should automatically find your NBN settings and after about 5 minutes, you should have your power led, both wifi LED's, your ethernet LED and the internet LED.

3. Then open a browser and it should automatically take you to the welcome to ASUS setup page. 

**** I am with Telstra and did not have to touch the Internet Options. I just had to enter a new login for the router and change the WiFi Passwords.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now