mal2
Level 2: Rookie

Intermittent connectivity issue beyond Modem

This will be a long winded post and may not be the appropriate area but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have NBN FTTN at home with the new Telstra Smart Modem. I have two NAS devices at home running Ubuntu. I also have a google compute service (in the US) running debian. I use a monitoring solution calles Anturis (www.anturis.com) to check services between home and the google service. Since Friday evening 5 Jul, I have been getting random Anturis outage notifications (cannot connect or service unavailable, this is for bother Anturis tcp ssh checks), It is only the service check from home to google that errors. Subsequently internet access seems to pause for up to a minute or two then resumes, IE web browsing pauses then recommences, access to apple store shows cannot connect then on retry connects. Foxtel now at times cannot show live tv then when you retry it works.

The issue is apparent on wired windows 10 desktop, IPAD, IPAD Pro, IPHONE, Telstra TV, HP Proliant N54L and Dell laptop with windows 10. As I have a strong networking (gateway) background I commenced troubleshooting.

Checking the modem my internet stays up and shows no disconnections or errors in the log.

My established ssh sessions between home and google stay up (even during the periods when I receive outage notifications).

A ping session and tracerouter (cron at 30 sec intervals) between home and google over 24 hours shows zero packet loss and similar path.

Troubleshooting steps

Replaced modem with my older model modem for 24 hours, the issue persisted

change DNS providers and forwarders, problem still exists.

Swapped out home 8 port switch, problem exists.

turned off each NAS for a few hours (testing to see if any buggy issue with ethernet interface), problem still exists.

TCPDUMP during issues shows requests going out but nothing coming back then all of a sudden it works again.

Chatting to blokes at work here, they have noticed issues with gaming services, pauses, cannot connect etc.

Gut feeling it is upstream of Telstra or something with state tables (established is ok but new fails)  but I have not been able to pin it down any more than that.

I have been reluctant to call the Telstra help desk as I will have to repeat the troubleshooting I have already done. I have completed the online Telstra checks which show no issue. I have checked the outage or network issues again no issue.

Hopefully someone out there can shed some light or point me in the right direction

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Intermittent connectivity issue beyond Modem

Hate to state the obvious here, but have you turned off the monitoring service temporarily to check to see if it is causing the problem itself?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
mal2

Yep that too.

4 of my work mates are experiencing a similar issue with intermittent connection problems, IE doesnt  work then 2 minutes later works.

mal2

Just to clarify as well

Friday 5 Jul my uptime report was 100% for all services.

Sat 6 Jul onwards 90% - 97% uptime.
A distinct change betwen 5 and 6 Jul

My first guess would be that there has been a change in the routing on the 6th July. There may be a link that is getting congested and is queuing requests.

Unfortunately Telstra support is not going to be able to help with that as it is beyond their scope and there is no latency guarantees for consumer connections.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
mal2

Unfortunately this is the worst experience  I have ever had with NBN or ADSL. I would doubt the congestion as it also occurs randomly overnight, IE 3am. There is something whacky going on that is impacting reasonable use of the internet.

If the link that is experiencing the congestion is not in Australia, or our part of the world in general, then the time is irrelevant. We make up a very small percentage of global traffic (at least until the SKA comes online, which will produce as much data in a day as the entire internet currently does).

mal2

Yes however it is all content that is affected, both local and international, including telstra servers itself. 

mal2

So far over 20 people in ACT have identified the same issue (both on internal Telsra Yammer and on Whirlpool). All symptoms are the same. All believe it occured around the same time 4/5 Jul. 

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

You're best of continuing this on yammer. I'd also recommend looking at the Telstra Social media policy link in my signature, as you need to declare you are a Telstra employee when posting/commenting on Telstra related issues on social media forums such as crowd support and whirlpool
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now