CrowdSupport®
Jumona
Level 2: Rookie

Internet dropping out every 40 or so minutes.

Internet drops out Every hour or so yet can still connect to the modem whilst everyone else in the house still has internet, I called Telstra they don't know how to fix it so send out a technician and he say's it's my cords fault so i buy a wireless adapter and guess what... still dropping out for both cord and wireless adapter, to re-establish connection to the cord i must un-plug then re-plug in the cord and for the wireless adapter i have to click on it in my task bar at the bottom right disconnect and reconnect.

I have tested if this would happen if i take my computer to my cousins home and connect via a cord for the weekend working fine without an issue no dropping out, when i returned to my cousins another weekend to play games etc... i purchased a wireless adapter and we installed it tested and worked fine with no dropping out still it wasn't until i returned home that it continued to drop out.

(Notes,
In a local network game with friend in the same house i still dropped out at the same time.

Different cord used at cousin's then the one used at home.

I didn't believe cord was the issue due to it being relatively new though didn't rule it out.

I have tried many different driver versions etc... for network adapter's.

I don't remember noticing the dropping out when we first got Telstra and never happened whilst with Internode using a store brought modem

I listed as Modems & Hardware for i believe it may be the router doing it or something else along those lines though could easily be mistaken.)

Please if you can assist me in any way to resolve this issue i would be grateful.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Internet dropping out every 40 or so minutes.

Hi Jumona,

Can you check the Power Management setting for your USB?

These are located within the Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

- right click on the USB hub, click on the Power Management tab

- remove the tick next to where it says "allow windows to switch off the USB to save power"

- repeat for each USB 

Let me know if you continue to have this difficulty.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jumona

Alright, thanks for the response i followed what you said though it gave me the thought to take it a step further and do the same for the network adapter. (will reply later with results)
Jumona

No good :/
It disconnected again 54 minutes after the changes.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Jumona,

Have you check the power management features within the Control Panel?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Jumona

Everything is on maximum performance etc...
The only power saving option i have is my display turns off after 10 minutes of no use.
Is there anything in specific?
Nothing i could find seemed related under advanced power settings.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Jumona,

Shelly was referring to the Power Settings for your USB wireless controller devices and not for your display.

So if you go to your Device Manager in Windows and right click on your USB wireless controller devices and follow Shelley's instructions below. Thanks Jumona,

"These are located within the Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.  

- right click on the USB hub, click on the Power Management tab

- remove the tick next to where it says "allow windows to switch off the USB to save power"

- repeat for each USB"

Jumona

I did that if you read the above post's. Thanks for replying anyways...
Jumona

Oddly today it hasn't disconnected yet, will update further if this is a one off thing or somehow resolved.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jumona,

With the power settings within the Control Panel, I was wanting to ensure that it was not set to a mode to save power.

It's great to hear that you had a smooth run, hopefully this continues but let me know if you need any further assistance.

- Shelly

Jumona

Yep nvm it started again :/ odd.
Jumona

Love how the post died without a resolve.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jumona, 

I recommend sending Shelly a private message asking for further assistance, or send through your Telstra account and contact details via the below online form:

www.telstra.com/24x7help

- Luis

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now