CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
FrankLen
Level 2: Rookie

Manual for Smart Modem

Can anybody advise where I can download a manual for my new Telstra Smart Modem?  Their so-called 'Tech" support persists in referring me back to the very basic installation instructions that came with the modem.  I am able to access the modem via 192.168.0.1, but would like to see a manual on its usage.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Manual for Smart Modem

This unofficial manual was created by @cf4, the Telstra Smart Modem are very similar. This should be of assistance

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Frontier-DJN2130-Unofficial-D...
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

FrankLen

In response to 343GuiltySpark,
Thanks for that info - it looks like the bees knees.
Butterfli
Level 1: Cadet

I need to access a manual for the smart Modem as I am having lots of problems. My ADSL line with the phone will  not connect and I only have signal on the modem.  Its a brand new modem sent out from Telstra and it lasted for 2 days and then I lost my internet. I want to check things out but cannot do this without a manual .So annoying!

Ericomalley
Level 5: Eagle Eye

FrankLen,

In a nut shell Telstra technical can not provide Manuals for there modem other than the package instructions,

reason for this is patent rights to the developers.

If you wish to know about the features of the modem and how to set them correctly you have to go to the Modem Venders website to get the correct manual,

I know this sound silly but its agreement between Internet service providers and the suppliers of the hardware device like modem due to the technical design and security features.

That not to say Telstra can not provide you with a basic manual its to say they prefer you to contact the venders website in order to prevent breach of their contacts with them on specification designs and features.

Level 24: Supreme Being

@Ericomalley wrote:

FrankLen,

In a nut shell Telstra technical can not provide Manuals for there modem other than the package instructions,

reason for this is patent rights to the developers.

If you wish to know about the features of the modem and how to set them correctly you have to go to the Modem Venders website to get the correct manual,

I know this sound silly but its agreement between Internet service providers and the suppliers of the hardware device like modem due to the technical design and security features.

That not to say Telstra can not provide you with a basic manual its to say they prefer you to contact the venders website in order to prevent breach of their contacts with them on specification designs and features.

Have you ever visited Technicolor's WEB site. If you had you would realize there are no manuals on there WEB site. If you ring Technicolor support you will be directed to your ISP.

It is not a breach of patent right for ISP to provide a basic manual for there equipment. In fact Telstra provides manuals for the equipment it sells to business customers and some ISP have a basic manual available for download on there web site.

@Butterfli

There is a link to a unofficial manual for the Telstra Gateway Frontier which has a similar GUI and features to the Telstra Smart Modem in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Frontier-DJN2130-Unofficial-D...

The basic manual is included in the GUI (via the help buttons)

If you want to know something more indepth, check @cf4 's frontier manual. The GUI's and features are practically identical
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
FrankLen

You will find cf4's unofficial handbook of great assistance, but your problem may be as simple as NBN changing you over to FTTN/FTTB (or FTTC - I assume it also works via VDSL2).

They did that to me without any contact or advice (Telstra had my Mobile number, and surely they do talk to each other), and I got home to find nothing working. It turned out that the ADSL line filter must be replaced with a simple connection for VDSL working, as shown in the "VDSL" drawing in the folder of the following link.
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Manual-for-Smart-Modem/td-p/755488

These drawings are slightly modified copies of the diagram on the back of the red "Get ready for take off" card enclosed with the Telstra Smart Modem. I hope I haven't infringed copyright by posting them here, but it is, after-all, on their website and for the benefit of their customers only.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now