Matt189
Level 1: Cadet

Modem not appearing on available wireless networks

Answered

Sorry if there is a post already answering this but I’ve looked and troubleshooted thoroughly with no luck.

I received my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 today, and my suburb has been NBN ready for a couple of weeks now.

I connected my devices to the new modem (PC, phone, Smart TV) and all worked fine. But after about an hour my PC lost connection, and now the modem is no longer appearing on my list of available networks to connect to. The other devices still work.

Did the obvious things of restarting the PC and modem, and went through to whole of Telstra’s troubleshooter until it just ended by telling me to pay for one of their service providers to solve it. Also tried various online suggestions.

I’ve brought my PC into the lounge room, so it’s now half a meter away from the modem and still not working, but does work when connected by Ethernet cable.

Anyone with ideas on what’s causing this and how to resolve it? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Modem not appearing on available wireless networks

On your other devices can you see the SSID with the -5G on the end and the normal SSID?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

It is likely that your PC WiFi adapter only works on the 2.4 GHz WiFi Band and the the modems 2.4 GHz band has developed a fault and is no longer transmitting.

I suggest you disable band steering in the modems 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This will result in -5G being added to the end of the 5 GHz WiFi band SSID. If you can see the normal SSID and one with -5G added to the end then both WiFi bands are transmitting and the 2.4 GHz WiFi band is not faulty. If 2.4 GHz WiFi band is not transmitting you will only see the normal SSID with -5G added to the end and will have re connect your devices to the new SSID and you will have to contact support and report modem as faulty.

Matt189

Just tried disabling band steering but I’m still not seeing the SSID appear in my available networks, with or without the -5G on the end.

Might see how it looks in the morning and talk to support then.

Accepted Solution

On your other devices can you see the SSID with the -5G on the end and the normal SSID?

Matt189

Only the -5G SSID appears in my other devices now. So based on what you’ve said that would suggest that my 2.4 GHz band is faulty and needs to be reported and replaced.

Thanks!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now