CrowdSupport®
AndyFry
Level 2: Rookie

My Gateway reboots itself every evening.

Hi,

I've noticed that my Internet drops out at around 9pm every evening. It started to happen last week and did it every day. It looks like the modem(Technicolor TG799vac) just reboots. Logs don't contain anything prior to the reboot. It's been running fine for months up till this point.

WiFi is disabled, there's only my Google WiFi device plugged into it.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening?image.png

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: My Gateway reboots itself every evening.

I have a similar problem with my modem rebooting about the same time each day. I  tracked it down to foxtel now box. Within an hour of the foxtel now box being turned on the modem would reboot and would reboot.

Do you turn anything on at 9 PM. It does not have to be connected to the modem it could be something that causes electrical interference such as a treadmill.

AndyFry

Hi,

Nope, everything her is pretty much always on. We work shifts so it's not like we regularly switch something on. We noticed when Netflix on our Telstra TV crapped out, or when the TV isn't even on and we notice that stuff stops working on our mobile phones connected via WiFi. I also have PC's connected to VPN which drops out at 9pm too.

Was thinking the gateway itself might have a cron job causing a reboot for some reason but hard to tell when the logs are emptied at boot time.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @AndyFry

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your modem dropping out. 

From what I can see, the Technicolor TG799vac is now end of life as it was launched in 2014 so it would be out of warranty.

If no disruptions are listed here, my advice would be to login here & complete the troubleshooting as it may help fix any issues you're currently experiencing, but also helps speed up the fault process if you need to call our fault team on 133933 if ADSL or Cable or 1800 834 273 if NBN. 

You should receive a reference number that can be quoted to our tech staff if the troubleshooting link doesn't resolve. If they're unable to resolve over the phone, they may monitor the connection or arrange a tech appointment. 

If you're consider upgrading to a new modem, I'd suggest checking out our Telstra Smart Modem.  

With these, if there’s a drop out in your home broadband, your modem will automatically switch to our mobile network if required, then switch back once the issue is resolved. Plus it uses your home data allowance.

The mobile backup connection is limited to speeds of up to 6Mbps for downloads and 1Mbps for uploads. Actual speeds will vary due to local conditions and content accessed.

The Telstra Smart Modem is $216 outright or $9/month for existing Telstra customers.

You can find information about these here 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AndyFry

I'd consider a new modem if that's what's required. It does seem odd though that a fault occurs at the same time every day.

Is there a modem only type gateway? I only use one Ethernet port and the wifi is disabled completely.

There are no Telstra only modems. They all come with WIFi and 4 Ethernet ports. Because it is occurring on a regular basis I don’t think it is the modem.

AndyFry

Just happened again. That's every night for the last 10 nights!

Cv8devil
Level 1: Cadet

My t799 is doing the same thing very day, although around 2:15pm and again a few minutes later.

has Telstra pushed out a new firmware or screwed with the modems.

Level 22: Superhuman

Have you done a reset?

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
AndyFry

Not done a factory reset yet. Happy to give that a go.

AndyFry

Not that I'm aware of.

Last firmware update for the TG799 that I know of was in August 2018 (17.2.0261-820-RA). Firmware can be checked by going to http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway

KC1212
Level 1: Cadet

Exact same problem for me too.

I also use Technicolor TG799vac with firmware 17.2.0261-820-RA

Every night at exactly 9.44pm the modem reboots by itself. Its been happening for over a week now.

AndyFry

Interesting. Mine started about a week ago too and reboots at approximately 20:52 Adelaide time.

AndyFry

Ok, well I factory reset the thing yesterday and it's been up for 26 hours without incident. So far so good.

Support Team
Support Team

Great news @AndyFry

Thanks for your time and please do reach out if you have any other questions or concerns moving forward.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now