CrowdSupport®
ReiTsu
Level 1: Cadet

My Telstra smart modem gen 2 speeds have dropped significantly over the span of 2.5 weeks.

Answered

I recently switched from a Foxtel modem to a Telstra SMG2. I live in an area where internet is pretty limited and we are a family of five that all you use internet extensively (e.g Netflix, YouTube and Online gaming etc.). When the modem first booted up we were getting speeds of about 6mbps on wifi 2.4ghz. Now this is not very fast at all. However, we used to experience 0.3 - 0.6 mbps so this was pretty good. After about 2 weeks though the speeds have dropped to about 0.3 - 0.1 mbps constant. This is when no one in the house is using the internet and after restarting the modem. I have tested to see if it is outside interference from neighbors etc. but to no avail. Thank you for reading this far. If you have any solutions I would really appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: My Telstra smart modem gen 2 speeds have dropped significantly over the span of 2.5 weeks.

Sounds like your modem has been working on the 4G backup instead of ghe main link. If the modem is on 4G backup the front light will be blue. On 4G  backup the speed is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up but if the 4G backup is used for an extended periid of time it gets throttled to 256 Kbps. If there is a fault on the main link the throttling can be femoved by ringing Telstra support and asking them to submit a web form to have throttling removed.

If modem's front light is blue suggest you ring Telstra support to have throttling removed and also for them to investigate why main link is not working. If you were getting 0.3 to 0.6Mbps with foxtel I doubt that your speed will be any faster with Telstra unless there is a fault on your link that Telstra can fix.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: My Telstra smart modem gen 2 speeds have dropped significantly over the span of 2.5 weeks.

Sounds like your modem has been working on the 4G backup instead of ghe main link. If the modem is on 4G backup the front light will be blue. On 4G  backup the speed is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up but if the 4G backup is used for an extended periid of time it gets throttled to 256 Kbps. If there is a fault on the main link the throttling can be femoved by ringing Telstra support and asking them to submit a web form to have throttling removed.

If modem's front light is blue suggest you ring Telstra support to have throttling removed and also for them to investigate why main link is not working. If you were getting 0.3 to 0.6Mbps with foxtel I doubt that your speed will be any faster with Telstra unless there is a fault on your link that Telstra can fix.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now