Skynet
Level 1: Cadet

NAT Loopback on Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Broken

I recently had to "upgrade" from a Telstra Frontier Router to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 due to a hardware fault and I have discovered that the "upgrade" has broken my networking setup.

It seems that NAT Loopback is not currently supported on the Gen 2 router and I cannot reached a DDNS address that points to a device in my network from within my network.

Is there a chance that NAT Loopback can be enabled in an update?

It seems strange that a Gen 2 device takes a step backwards, especially when home automation is becoming more popular.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NAT Loopback on Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Broken

It is a known problem with the Arcadyan modems, but there is no fix yet. It should be remedied in a future update.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AMHeath
Level 2: Rookie

This NBN thing is gold! 

I had 100Mbps Cable Extreme for I reckon close on 10-12 years. I have moved over today to the new all-singing, all dancing NBN. Why? Because I had to, before I got disconnected.

My speed on my old coaxial cable connection 100 - 120 Mbps. It very rarely dropped below 100Mbps. I now get sub-50Mbps on my new HFC (coaxial cable) connection. For that priviliege, I get to pay an extra $20/month.

I need to use a fax machine (I know, I know - who uses faxes, right? I do because I need to) so now I have had to go and buy a virtual fax - that's another $10/month.

I have had to go our and buy a pack of cordless phones because my modem is no where near where I need telephones - more money.

By far the biggest annoyance is that my new Telstra "Smart"Modem Gen 2 does not support NAT loopback. I use NAT loopback a lot! I have now had to set up a new DNS server to kludge together a split brain DNS.

Rant over!

AMHeath70
Level 24: Supreme Being

The only Telstra modem that does not support NAT loop back is the Arcadyan version off the Gen 2 smart  modem. I think the latest firmware 06.07r that has just been released adds support for NAT loop back. You can check firmware version by logging into modem and going to Advanced > Info Summary.

AMHeath

Thanks @cf4. That is the exact modem that I have.

I was so upset once I worked out what it was that I didn't even think to check firmware version.

My version is reporting 0.04.14r

Any ideas as to how I can get the firmware upgrade? Do I just need to be patient and wait for them to update it? Can I force it somehow?
AMHeath70

Unfortunately there is no way you can force the update, you have to wait till it is your modems turn to be updated. Your modem has the original version off the firmware. There was a previous update to version .05.04r that was released three months ago and I am surprised your modem has not been updated to this. There might be a problem preventing the firmware update. You could try factory resetting the modem and leaving it run overnight with factory default settings.

On my Testra Sagemcom F@st5355 modem I discovered that with custom settings it would not update and had to do factory reset before the modem downloaded any firmware updates. This was fixed in one of the firmware updates. 

AMHeath

Thanks @cf4. I might give telstra a call and see if I can get some attention, given this is a brand new service.

I really appreciate your help on this one.
AMHeath70

NAT loopback hasn't been implemented in v6.07r. More then likely it won't be implemented until at least the next update

If it is a new modem, it may take a few days for it to update to v5.04r then to v6.07r. Regular front of house teams will not be able to speed this process up. I'd suggest manually rebooting the modem each night as there was a bug in FW versions prior to v6 which would prevent the modem from receiving commands (E.g FW updates) if it isn't rebooted
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
AMHeath

Thanks for everyone's help.

Modem received a firmware upgrade at some point, and I am now on 0.05.04r

Telstra Telstra tech support (level 1 I presume) had not even the foggiest idea what I was talking about. The representatives suggested the best resolution was to buy another modem. Hmmppph!

I think I will just need to be patient.

My only hope is that I am not alone. It appears to be an issue that many are experiencing. Example at
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Setting-up-Dynamic-DNS-on-Arcadyan-LH1000-Mod...
AMHeath70
AMHeath

'Nother firmware upgrade a few nights ago. Now running 0.06.07r. As stated by @Yastiandrie, still no NAT loopback.
AMHeath70
petersun

hi AMHeath
can you advise how to upgrade firmware from version 0.05.04r to 0.06.07r? reboot modem each night? or reset to factory setting?
thank you

They are part of an ordinary update routine, so it will do it automatically. You will probably end up with the newer firmware that has just started rolling out. Give it a reboot just to be sure, but it should normally not require it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
bedo2405

I'm on 05.04r, NAT loopback not working, thus all my DIY home automation not working, very very frustrating.
bedo2405

What's worst is no Telstra representative is telling us when it will be fixed. Thinking I might change providers.
hammerstan

No you are not alone.  Let us know when the firmware fix arrives ... if it ever does, or yes, bye bye Telstra 

Level 22: Superhuman

You're on an older firmware version, the roll out to 0.06.07r is currently under way for the Arcadian variants of the Smart Modem Gen 2.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

bedo2405

According to others, 0.06.07r doesn't fix NAT loopback. So my questions are, how long will it be before the next firmware update? and is it guaranteed to contain the fix?

Unfortunately I don't have the answers to those questions.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Next firmware update is already out, v7.05r, and it doesn't contain it either.

Currently no timeframe on when it will be implemented
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

KalJade

It's a shame we are too small a use case to be a priority, otherwise if Telstra were to put pressure on the manufacturer to include it, it would happen.

The next firmware update will provide NAT Loopback support.

spu

Yes, please post if you hear any more about NAT reflection/loopback being available. My old Telstra modem had it but this new one doesn't ( firmware version: 7.05r ) !

Still no ETA on the next update at this stage

lowey71

This is a real negative for smart home users. Plugged one of these units in yesterday and removed within 1/2 hr due to missing NAT loopback.
JasonSS

So told by Telstra that I needed a new modem to support the so-called "Premium Speed for Velocity". This is within a month of me buying a new Netgear Nighthawk modem. Everything was going well, NAT Loopback was functioning perfectly, but apparently my new Netgear modem wouldn't support the speed upgrade. Now Telstra has sent me a new modem (Gen2 Gateway) free of charge; however, it doesn't support NAT Loopback, and there is NO speed difference. Luckily I convinced the velocity tech that if I didn't get any actual speed upgrade, I shouldn't be paying the so-called "Premium" for it. So here I am again back on my old modem until the Gen2 finally has an update to support NAT Loopback so I can apparently get higher speeds. Thanks Telstra. 

How about an update please.

A smart modem is not required for any speed boosts

JasonSS

I know that, we're not all Telstra noobs. How about telling us WHEN NAT loopback will be enabled instead of telling us well known facts.

The release date has yet to be confirmed.

Dnaml

Any update on the nat loopback feature and when it will be released?

There's no update on when NAT loopback will be fixed via a firmware update.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now