CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN Connection to black Telstra Gateway Max

Answered

Can I connect my old Telstra Gateway Max modem to the NBN (only 6 months old)? The new modem delivered by Telstra only has 2 LAN ports and I need 4 to cover all the devices I have installed.

The telstra installer wasn't very helpful and just installed the new one and said to ring the help desk which I tried but couldn't get an answer as there was no technical staff available.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Connection to black Telstra Gateway Max

You should be able to use that modem instead of the new gateway.

Connect PC to LAN port of  Netgear C6300D and log in to C6300D ( http://192.168.0.1 )

Go to the 'WAN Setup'
Then a drop down menu will come down and one option is 'WAN backup
Once you click that the screen will give you an option to 'Enable - Wan Mode'
Select that option.
Router will reboot.

Connect WAN port of Netgear C6300D   to NBN box.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18

Depending on type of NBN connection and model of gateway max you should be able to use it. Even if you can connect it directly to the NBN the gateway max can be used as a switch when set to bridge mode and WAN port connected to LAN port of new gateway.

What type of NBN connection do you have (FTTP, FTTN, Coax Hybrid) and what model gateway max do you have? 

Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks I have FTTP connection and the modem is a Netgear model no C6300BD

Accepted Solution

You should be able to use that modem instead of the new gateway.

Connect PC to LAN port of  Netgear C6300D and log in to C6300D ( http://192.168.0.1 )

Go to the 'WAN Setup'
Then a drop down menu will come down and one option is 'WAN backup
Once you click that the screen will give you an option to 'Enable - Wan Mode'
Select that option.
Router will reboot.

Connect WAN port of Netgear C6300D   to NBN box.

View solution in original post

TommyTheTankEng
Level 6: Bloodhound

I think I have the same question. I'm currently on the Telstra/Foxtel cable and have a Netgear cable modem (in service for 6-12 months). It also has a (red) WAN port. Our building is being separately backboned for the NBN (FTTB) and every unit has its own NBN connection box. Once the NBN service is commissioned, I'm assuming/hoping that I simply disconnect the cable modem port and connect an ethernet cable between the NBN box and the existing Netgear modem, login to the modem, enable the WAN port, and rock'n'roll.

The phone connection will go into the UNI-V ports, but will my POTS service number port over to the NBN automatically?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

By default, phone services over the NBN uses T-Voice Advanced which will go through the phone ports on the Technicolor or Sagemcom modems that we provide. T-Voice Standard (which uses the UNI-V ports) is usually only offered if you meet set criteria. When you organise for your internet service to be migrated to the NBN, they should also discuss the phone service at the same time.

The Netgear modems that we provided for Cable services are not capable of supporting T-Voice Advanced configurations which is why we are supplying the Technicolor and Sagemcom modems. The Sagemcom F@ST 5355 is the base model that only has to LAN ports. The Technicolor TG800 & DJN2130 both have four LAN ports but will incur and additional cost. 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TommyTheTankEng

Thanks. Any idea of the additional cost for the 4-port modems? I should add that where possible I try to by-pass having to deal with Telstra as they mostly have NFI. So can I use my existing Netgear to swap over to the NBN without having to deal with Telstra all by myself and later on worry about provisioning the POTS (before the 18 months runs out)?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi, 

In regards to the additional cost for the 4 port modem you can find out the pricing and specifications here, the Telstra Gateway Max 2 is the 4 port one.  

Based on the NBN set up you've described you should be able to use your existing Netgear modem, if it has a WAN port. You'll connect this WAN port directly to your NBN connection box's active UNI-D port to access the internet.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

TommyTheTankEng

Thanks - but the Spec for the Telstra Gateway Max 2 doesn't have a WAN port, only ADSL & VDSL

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TommyTheTankEng,

All current Gateway modems have the WAN port as this is used for multiple connection types these days including NBN, Cable & Velocity. 

- Dane

TommyTheTankEng

@AlistairQWA wrote:

Hi TommyTheTankEng,

All current Gateway modems have the WAN port as this is used for multiple connection types these days including NBN, Cable & Velocity. 

- Dane

Might it be an idea for Telstra to update its Specifications page then otherwise the information given is misleading

Ricfish
Level 2: Rookie

Hi All,

had similar issues today and this solution was useful.  I also had to do a hardware reset of the Gateway max.  This is kind of last resort territory, but if you need to do this, insert a paperclip end or similar into the hole marked reset, and hold in for about 10 sec. The indicator lights on the gateway will go nuts and after about 2 mins settle down.  

The username and password on the side of the modem should now work to log in if they weren't previously.

Hope this helps.

TommyTheTankEng

I'm looking forward to testing this out in a couple of weeks' time. Our building - currently on Telstra/Foxtel HFC - has had a parallel backbone installed from the FTTB NBN connection. It's being commissioned in two or three weeks from now. I've logged into the modem and seen where I enable the WAN port, and already plugged one end of an Ethernet cable into the NBN box. So, assuming that works as advised, I can at leisure get one of the newer modems and port my phone service over to the NBN

TommyTheTankEng

Is the Telstra Gateway Max (with 4 LAN ports) still available? On the Telstra sign-up page the only options to select are the Gateway (2 "fast Internet" ports and a WAN port) or the Gateway Frontier ("4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports" but only ADSL2+ and VDSL with no mention of a WAN port), neither of which have any interest for me

The Gateway Max (ADSL and Cable Variant) and Max 2 are discontinued

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
RM123
Level 1: Cadet

Many Thanks, your advice was perfect, all that's needed now is a connector for the phone? any ideas?

TommyTheTankEng

The instructions above don’t say “disconnect the cable” but I’m assuming that’s required

How do you tell which is the active port on the NBN box? I have the standard 4. Does it matter?
TommyTheTankEng

Here's what happened:

I followed the instructions: lo and behold the modem said it was now an NBN modem

No connection to the NBN after 30 minutes

I'm guessing, from something later said by a Telstra consultant and in another context, that since Telstra didn't install the FTTP box (the body corporate did under NBNCo's direction) that Telstra, knowing nothing about the box, had not provisioned any services

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If your NBN connection still isn't working please contact our support team on 1800 834 273 (say faults when prompted) and they'll be able to investigate and resolve this for you.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now