CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
sunshine1707
Level 2: Rookie

NBN FTTC modem

Answered

Hi all - we are now being forced to upgrade to NBN FTTC. I have a few questions- 

1) Is the NBN Connection Device that plugs into the phone socket 'wireless' itself ? I just needed to confirmation please. Smiley Happy 

2) The Smart Modem that Telstra provides (which apparently has the Wifi off/on button) - does it actually switch off the wifi (signal and all) ? Smiley Happy I remember a while back, there was a Telstra Eco modem that switches off the wifi device ID but the wifi emr signal is still there (someone measured it). Just making sure this problem is no longer as well. Just trying to err on the side of caution haha.

3) The inbuilt back up sim card in the Smart modem - can that be disabled/removed? (Again, by choice). 

4) Can I use my own NBN modem? Really dumb question here - I am assuming that my current adsl modem router is not compatible with the NBN Connection Device?  Smiley Happy 

Ta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FTTC modem

1. NBN modem is not wireless.
  2. Can turn WiFi off on Telstra modem but modem still radiates EMF due to DECT base in modem that can't be turned off
  3. The SIM card in Testra Modem can be removed.
  4. If you don't require a phone you could use any third party router that supports IPv6 on a FTTC NBN connection. You might even be able to use your old ADSL modem if it has a WAN port or EWAN port (LAN port that can be set as WAN port) if it supports IPv6.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FTTC modem

1. NBN modem is not wireless.
  2. Can turn WiFi off on Telstra modem but modem still radiates EMF due to DECT base in modem that can't be turned off
  3. The SIM card in Testra Modem can be removed.
  4. If you don't require a phone you could use any third party router that supports IPv6 on a FTTC NBN connection. You might even be able to use your old ADSL modem if it has a WAN port or EWAN port (LAN port that can be set as WAN port) if it supports IPv6.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now