CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
DunkyMonkey
Level 2: Rookie

NBN HFC Network Configuration

Answered

Hi Crowd Support, 

I'm being connected to the NBN HFC network tomorrow (hopefully) in preperation I'm attempting to make my transition as smooth as possible from Cable. My whole house is CAT6 cabled as I don't like to rely on wireless unless i'm actually on a mobile device. Now looking at the brand new telstra gateway that i have been sent (Sagemcom F@st 5355) there are some gripes that I have. Firstly there are only 2 ethernet ports (means this isn't going to be a swap and go with my CG3100D-2) and secondly these are only base 100 ports meaning if used to route my network traffic it become the choke in my network.

Never-fear I do have a gigabit network switch for which I use to connect all of my devices that hard wired through this device. So this is where my question is, If NBN are providing the actual Cable modem (HFC) which has a gigabit network port, does this need to plug into the telstra gateway device or can it be plugged directly in to the switch (assuming have a device i'm using on the network to manage the network)?

If the answer to the above question is "no" then in turn can the NBN supplied modem be connected to the WAN port of my existing CG3100D-2? (given this device both possess' a WAN port and currently manages my network)

Seperate to this I understand that the VOIP telephone service that is included in my bundle will only work if plugged into the telstra modem, thus if either of the above two are a possibility if I wanted to connect a telephone could I then plug the new router into any ethernet port i have in my house that is connected to the switch and then plut the phone directly into that device at that location? And if so would this work if I plugged in the ethernet port so the wifi could become part of my exisiting network or would it have to plugged into the WAN port creating a completely seperate network again (obviously for the former I would have to disable DNS on the device). 

I appricate any information anyone can provide to the above question, I do understand that I can order the Gateway Max 2 router (which i did ask for when i ordered the service and was told i would be provided with a capable modem for HFC), but why order additional devices if i don't need them. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN HFC Network Configuration

A router can be plugged directly into NBN modem but not a switch

The WAN port of CG3100D-2 is disabled so that can not be used.

I have been able to plug WAN port of F@st 5355 into LAN port of VDSL Modem/router that was connected to FTTN NBN connection and still use phone without using any special settings. As far as I know no one else has been able to do this without experiencing problems with phone. Some have had success with port forwarding ports 5060-5061 TCP/UDP, 5004 UDP & 3478 TCP/UDP

The maximum speed for NBN is 100 Mb/s so why not use F@st 5355 as gateway and plug switch into LAN port on gateway

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

A router can be plugged directly into NBN modem but not a switch

The WAN port of CG3100D-2 is disabled so that can not be used.

I have been able to plug WAN port of F@st 5355 into LAN port of VDSL Modem/router that was connected to FTTN NBN connection and still use phone without using any special settings. As far as I know no one else has been able to do this without experiencing problems with phone. Some have had success with port forwarding ports 5060-5061 TCP/UDP, 5004 UDP & 3478 TCP/UDP

The maximum speed for NBN is 100 Mb/s so why not use F@st 5355 as gateway and plug switch into LAN port on gateway

DunkyMonkey

Thanks for the quick reply, are you saying that i could just plug the NBN modem directly into the LAN port of the CG3100-2? (if so why does the installation of the F@st 5355 specify that it should be plugged into the WAN port).

Yes the maximum speed of the NBN is currently 100Mb/s, however later this year if the promises are true we will have DOCSIS 3.1 and potentially faster speeds (meaning having to update two devices rather than one.

No

The LAN port of CG3100D-2 can not be plugged in to NBN modem. The CG3100D-2 can not be used because its WAN port is disabled.

A third party router WAN port can be plugged directly in  to NBN modem for Internet to work, but the switch cannot be connected directly to NBN modem.

From what I have seen of previous post on cable NBN you will be lucky to get 100 Mb/s

DunkyMonkey

Fair enough, 

Thanks for all the info. Guess I will plug the new gateway in and configure it to run the network. 

Edit: isn't is possible that once i swtich over I can enable the WAN port under the settings, heres what the gateway pages says: "Enable - WAN Mode : If "Enable - WAN Mode" is selected, data traffic will pass through WAN port instead of cable RF interface."

Cheers.

You can try and enable the WAN port. If it can be enabled you should be able to use it with NBN connection, but you still have problem of trying to get phone to work.

Below is link unofficial manual for F@st 5355

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzrqIis29Do9bTFxRUFjU3ZoWE0/view?usp=sharing

DunkyMonkey

Thanks again, I'll have a play tomorrow once its installed. To be honest we don't even own a phone to plug into the port.....

If you do enable WAN port on CG3100D-2 set connection type as IPOE (DHCP) no user name or password required.

jl44
Level 1: Cadet

Hi DunkyMonkey,

I too am switching over to the nbn from telstra's HFC and also plan to use the existing cg3100d-2 modem...

let us know if it all worked ok?   ....

makairageo

Hi there possible telstra NBN FTTN phone users,

We are using a Sonicwall TZ series router, and the connection from the NBN Modem is 1Gbit, which will enable DOCSYS3.1 if/when it ever comes.  We placed the Telstra supplied device a Sagemcom F@st 5355 on the Lan behind the Sonicwall (connect the red WAN port to a  switch on the LAN segment with DHCP activated) and the telephone port works with the default Telstra and Sonicwall settings.

The Telstra phone connection works ok on a defined DMZ segment as well if you are worried by the security of the Sagemcom (or any device that comes with default username/password = admin/admin)..  I haven't had to redirect particular ports to the device nor had any problems with the load balancing switching between connections to date, but expect this to be an issue in the future.

For serurity we have disabled the SAGEMCOM wireless and DHCP, and disallowed remote access, and changed the admin password of course.

We are migrating our two ADSL lines and Telstra cable to three NBN connections, and while Telstra business have been awful, their consumer side has been accurate and delivered as promised an on time, and we have a working phone and 100/40 network connection that delivers close to this speed

jl44

Just thought I'd update for those who are interested....

Got NBN connected today with the NBN HFC modem (CM8200) and used my existing cg3100d-2 - just flicked the config (on cg3100d-2) to switch from "RF" to WAN backup and enabled the WAN port plugged that into the connection of the NBN modem and everything is working with no changes on my network.

Tested the Sagecom F@st 5355 on my network with everything turned off (DHCP, Wireless) also for security reasons and yup makairageo is correct phone works (land line) for now.

For those who want to use their fixed land lines existing phones, you will need to use the Sagecom F@st 5355 or equivalent Telstra supplied modem/router with the SIP info already programed in them.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now