CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
AndrewWolfen
Level 2: Rookie

NBN HFC: Replacing Telstra Gateway with Something Better

Answered

I've done a little bit of research on this and got a bit of conflicting info.

I currently have the Technicolor DJA0230 gateway and it's not too good. The firmware is lacking logical features (like being able to name white-listed mac addresses), the range is only about 10-15m with these crappy internal antennas and the internal transfer speeds aren't all that great.

At the time my NBN was installed the guy said that the NBN box (black box) and Modem/Gateway were set up specifically to talk to each other and that other modems wouldn't work with the NBN box, although he mentioned he wasn't 100% sure.

However; I've seen on this forum that some people have replaced it but mainly with routers or that they've used the router in bridge mode. Unfortunately, I don't have enough power points left in the room to get an access point or bridge a router (nowhere else in the house I can really put it either). So, I'd rather just replace the Gateway and I want to be sure before I spend the money.

Am I safe in assuming that any Modem supporting VDSL2 (e.g. ARCHER-VR500V or DSL-AC87VG) with VOIP/RJ11 ports, would work with the NBN Box? Or am I screwed and stuck with this Telstra Gateway?

I need to be able to use the phone lines still and I'm not 100% familiar with VOIP. Do I need to know anything important about VOIP if it's possible to replace the gateway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN HFC: Replacing Telstra Gateway with Something Better

If you have a HFC connection you can use either a router or a modem providing the modem has a WAN or EWAN port.

If you need a landline phone you will need to keep using the Telstra gateway and use it as a VOIP adapter with its WAN port plugged into the new modem/router LAN port. Telstra don’t provide SIP details so even if new modem/router has a VOIP function will not be able to configure it.

If you are short of power points use a power board.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

If you have a HFC connection you can use either a router or a modem providing the modem has a WAN or EWAN port.

If you need a landline phone you will need to keep using the Telstra gateway and use it as a VOIP adapter with its WAN port plugged into the new modem/router LAN port. Telstra don’t provide SIP details so even if new modem/router has a VOIP function will not be able to configure it.

If you are short of power points use a power board.

AndrewWolfen

I am using 2 power boards.... that's the problem. I can't add any more and even if I could, there's already too much plugged into the 1 spot it's so crowed.

So I'm pretty much stuck using the crappy modem they give then, that's so bad the way they've chosen to do all of this NBN crap.

Thanks for the help and answer, it saves me some time & money.

Actually just a bit of a off topic question: couldn't I just plug 2 antennas onto the external slots for them? Cause it has the mountings/threads but they never provided the antenna, I'd assume they were the same as any other antenna threads on a modem/router?

The two antenna slots are for the 4G backup and will not improve the WiFi signal. The regular router antennas do fit the slots but will not improve the 4 G signal. The are for use with a antenna designed for 4 G signals.

AndrewWolfen

That sucks super bad. Thanks for all your help though.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now