Highlighted
Neel747
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Smart modem

Answered
Can someone please help me to explain what are the main differences between Telstra Smart modem vs Smart modem 2?

Both technical as well as user experience point of view.

I have FTTP at home.

Appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Neel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Smart modem

As far as the user is concerned they are almost identical in performance but are physically different.

They have same default IP address 192.168.0.1.

By Default there no password on Telstra Smart Modem but GEN 2 has user=admin pass=telstra

Both have 4G backup.

Both are suitable for all NBN connections.

The GEN 2 only has one phone port, the Smart Modem has two.

The GEN 2 when on backup support VOIP the Smart Modem does not.

Both have 4 Gigabit LAN ports.

WiFi performance and features are similar

The Smart Modem has Power. Pair, and WiFi light on front and Signal, Link, Online and Phone light (VOIP) on top. See this post for what the lights indicate

Smart_ModemJPG.jpg

Smart_Modem_ConnectionsJPG.jpg

The Smart Modem GEN 2 has Power light on front. Online, WAN / DSL (Link), Mobile Mode, Mobile Signal and Phone on back

Smart_Modem_Gen_2.JPG

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG 

The Telstra Smart Modem is produced by Technicolor. There are two manufactures of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Technicolor DJA0231: 18.1.c.0215-950-RA
Arcadyan LH1000: 0.05.04r

The Technicolor Modem has an almost identical GUI to current Telstra Smart Modem. The Arcadyan is very similar but has settings in different locations.

From what I have seen of the Arcadyan the USB port only supports DLNA and does not support network drive or printers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Smart modem

As far as the user is concerned they are almost identical in performance but are physically different.

They have same default IP address 192.168.0.1.

By Default there no password on Telstra Smart Modem but GEN 2 has user=admin pass=telstra

Both have 4G backup.

Both are suitable for all NBN connections.

The GEN 2 only has one phone port, the Smart Modem has two.

The GEN 2 when on backup support VOIP the Smart Modem does not.

Both have 4 Gigabit LAN ports.

WiFi performance and features are similar

The Smart Modem has Power. Pair, and WiFi light on front and Signal, Link, Online and Phone light (VOIP) on top. See this post for what the lights indicate

Smart_ModemJPG.jpg

Smart_Modem_ConnectionsJPG.jpg

The Smart Modem GEN 2 has Power light on front. Online, WAN / DSL (Link), Mobile Mode, Mobile Signal and Phone on back

Smart_Modem_Gen_2.JPG

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG 

The Telstra Smart Modem is produced by Technicolor. There are two manufactures of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Technicolor DJA0231: 18.1.c.0215-950-RA
Arcadyan LH1000: 0.05.04r

The Technicolor Modem has an almost identical GUI to current Telstra Smart Modem. The Arcadyan is very similar but has settings in different locations.

From what I have seen of the Arcadyan the USB port only supports DLNA and does not support network drive or printers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more