CrowdSupport®
MoB3
Level 2: Rookie

NBN and burglar alarm

Answered

Although I've cancelled my alarm monitoring contract, my alarm system is still sending test calls daily at an approx cost of 50c a day.  I'm about to connect to the NBN so I know that when the landline goes, the calls will stop.  I've done the right thing and asked the monitoring company to decommission the alarm but am getting nowhere with them. Will killing the calls by moving to the NBN cause any issues with ongoing use of the alarm? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN and burglar alarm

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3

It should not cause any local issues with the alarm but it might cause issues with your NBN connection. The alarm should be disconnected from your telephone cable before transferring to the NBN. It would be best to get a professional to disconnect the alarm and central splitter. Some of these alarms are wired so that if disconnected  all the other Telephone sockets are disconnected.

MoB3
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you for the speedy reply. The telephone cable is connected to the alarm board by a plug and jack. As a test, if I were to disconnect the cable, and the phone sockets continued to work would this indicate that all will be ok? If the telephone sockets didn't work, could I then just reconnect the cable (and get professional help)?
Accepted Solution

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more