CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
blondie2
Level 2: Rookie

NBN

Answered

Since switching over to the NBN 2 weeks ago, my Uniden Dect 6.0 phones dont work, they are plugged into the green port at the back of the Telsta Gateway Pro, the Voice light on the gateway isnt lit up, Telsta have told me this morning that I need to buy new phones that are compatible ??, please help I have a busy little business that need these phones.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN

You are 100% correct cf4 as usual. At least you didn't have to write a manual for this Telstra device! I honestly didn't notice that they were all IP phones.
However "if the phone light is off it indicates the SIP phone service has not registered". Had me confused so
Blondie2
Could you please check back in and let us know how you are faring? Have you tried the setup shown on p29-31 / Section 4 of the modem router manual?
Could you also please clarify with us what kind of plan you are on?
Many users setting up their phone system encounter problems. You are not alone. I happened to see on ABC News last night that many are having issues.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-11/nbn-phone-not-working-five-months-after-installation/9637478

Personally, I have yet to get the NBN. I got caught on the DECT standard confusion. I can't connect wirelessly to the TG797nv3.

"All Telstra gateways are DECT 2 (Australian Standard), which means your DECT 6 (US standard) phones cant pair wirelessly to it" which may explain why some are having issues.

from [https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/WILL-UNIDEN-DECT-6-0-1635-WORK-AS-A-SECOND-PH...]

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Id try factory resetting the modem. Do any other phones work when plugged in?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being

If the phone light is off it indicates the SIP phone service has not registered. There is either a fault in the modem or the service has not been configured correctly. The light should be blue even with no phone plugged into the gateway.
Factory resetting modem might fix the problem if it is a modem fault.
To factory reset modem insert a paper clip into the Reset hole and hold down for 10 seconds until all the lights on the front panel start flashing. Then release the paper clip
See Section 6.4 of manual https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/small-business/broadband/pdf/telstra-gateway-pro-v7610-u...

Have you got a copy of the manual?

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/small-business/broadband/pdf/telstra-gateway-pro-v7610-u...

Have you tried to use the advice on page 29-30 and have an ID and Password from Telstra? You also need to pay more for voice as well as data from Telstra? Your old router may still have these details or contact Telstra. 

This manual advises the compatible devices and Uniden isn't listed unfortunately.  Maybe you could borrow a compatible phone or just buy one and if it works that was the problem. 

Some phones like my VTech say they have DECT 6.0, but the frequency used is different to what is needed to use with a router.  They are designed to NOT work or interfere with wireless setups!  Big W or Target may have compatible phones like Panasonic ones listed in the manual.  From my experience I would try Target first. 

@mazinoz

This manual advises the compatible devices and Uniden isn't listed unfortunately.  Maybe you could borrow a compatible phone or just buy one and if it works that was the problem. 

Some phones like my VTech say they have DECT 6.0, but the frequency used is different to what is needed to use with a router.  They are designed to NOT work or interfere with wireless setups!  Big W or Target may have compatible phones like Panasonic ones listed in the manual.  From my experience I would try Target first. 

The compatible phones listed in the manual are IP phones which connect to yellow LAN ports on the gateway. The green ports on the gateway are for connecting normal analogue phones including the Uniden Dect 6.0. (See figure 8 in manual)

Target and Big W do not sell IP phones they only sell cordless DECT phones

@blondie2

One thing that could prevent phones working not having voice calling set up correctly. See section 4.4 of manual.

Accepted Solution

You are 100% correct cf4 as usual. At least you didn't have to write a manual for this Telstra device! I honestly didn't notice that they were all IP phones.
However "if the phone light is off it indicates the SIP phone service has not registered". Had me confused so
Blondie2
Could you please check back in and let us know how you are faring? Have you tried the setup shown on p29-31 / Section 4 of the modem router manual?
Could you also please clarify with us what kind of plan you are on?
Many users setting up their phone system encounter problems. You are not alone. I happened to see on ABC News last night that many are having issues.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-11/nbn-phone-not-working-five-months-after-installation/9637478

Personally, I have yet to get the NBN. I got caught on the DECT standard confusion. I can't connect wirelessly to the TG797nv3.

"All Telstra gateways are DECT 2 (Australian Standard), which means your DECT 6 (US standard) phones cant pair wirelessly to it" which may explain why some are having issues.

from [https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/WILL-UNIDEN-DECT-6-0-1635-WORK-AS-A-SECOND-PH...]

blondie2

I have been deaing with Telstra for over the last 2 weeks, and yes they have finally figured out that it is because the phone light is off, they are tring to sort out why the voice calling numbers in the voice set up on the Telsta gateway pro, are the correct ones, but dont seem to register.
I was told by another Telstra operator that I needed new phones, which is incorrect.
blondie2

Yes I have a CISCO phone that works.
blondie2

I have been dealing with Telsta for over 2 weeks with this problem, and they have finally come back and said it is because the Voice light isnt on, for some reason the numbers in the Voice Calling Set Up on the Telstra gate way pro are correct, they just dont want to register.
I was told by one Telstra operator that I needed new phones which is incorrect.
blondie2

Its all sorted, Telstra had to reset and make new logons and passwords to make the Voice Calling setting work, which then turned on the Voice light. We have have working phones.

Thanks for getting back to us all on this. It may help others who are having difficulties and come here for help.
Glad that you finally have a working phone system for your business.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now