CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Redridermx
Level 3: Gumshoe

Nbn PlayStation connection issues

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has a fix to the problem where all the PlayStation’s in my house now have trouble connecting to servers. All of them went down at the same time last weekend and all fail to connect to servers.

i have talked to the level 2 tech support and they sent out a new router but are still having the exact same problem was with the old router.

i have talked to PlayStation and they have told me it is on telstra side. I saw a crowd support topic the same as this in February but it had no way to solve it. Please if anyone has been through this help us out thankyou

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
31 REPLIES 31
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Nbn PlayStation connection issues

Suggest  you disable LAN IPv6 in the modem (Advanced > Local Network), disconnect and reconnect play station and then set the DNS in the play station to google public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

To do this

Choose “Set Up Internet Connection” under the Network menu in Settings.

Select either Wi-Fi (select your Wi-Fi network and enter password) or LAN Cable.

Choose Custom on the next screen.

Select your normal settings for IP Address Settings or Automatic if unknown.

Select your normal settings for DHCP Host Name or Do Not Specify if unknown.

Enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  for DNS settings

Select Automatic for MTU Settings.

Select Next to continue.

Select your normal settings for Proxy Server or Do Not Use if unknown.

Redridermx

Thanks for the reply

i did all this still failing at nat type it works sometimes but majority of times it fails

i just don’t understand why it all of a sudden started doing it a week ago out of nowhere something must have changed on their end

Which modem do do you have. If its a Telstra smart gen 2  there are two a Technicolor DJA0231 which has air cooling vents on the side and a Arcadyan  LH1000 which has no air vents.

Redridermx

I have the one with no vents

Check that UPNP is enabled.

Advanced > Local Network > UPNP

Redridermx

Where do I find that in the router?

Redridermx

Sorry just saw you already posted how

You will find UPNP on the UPNP TAB of the Local Network Settings of the Advanced Settings.

Arcadyan_Gen_2_UPNP.jpg

Redridermx

It’s already enabled

If the play station is failing at NAT Type this is usualy due the required Port not being open. If UNPN is enabled then the modem should be opening the correct ports. The only other thing that could block the ports is if the modem switches to 4 G backup. Has the modem been operating on 4 G backup which would be indicated by modem's front light being blue?

Redridermx

No it’s not operating on back up this new modem and the last modem were both having the same problem. The platinum team did the ports on the old modem still wouldn’t work. Look like it might just be time to leave telstra not paying for something they can deliver. 18 months no problem and then wiped out all 4 PlayStation’s and the wifi is slow and rubbish now as well

Redridermx

My Foxtel connected to lan is also rubbish so I don’t know what I’m paying for

What speed do you get when you do a speed test at a site such as https://www.speedtest.net/ or using speed test app on an IOS or Android device?

Redridermx

It either fails or I get around 23 dl and 10 ul. It’s all over the show that’s from the speed test app. 

If you have an FTTN connection could you provide a screen shot of the line stats. The stats are located here Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL. These will indicate if there problem with the FTTN link.

Redridermx

82ACD39E-F17F-4F55-A248-74DEA8333A76.jpeg

Thanks for posting the screen shot. There is an easier way to capture an image of the screen or portion of the screen on a MAC see link below for instructions.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

From the screen shot I can see that in the past 15 minutes you would have lost the internet for 2 minutes. (UAS 130). This would indicate there might be an intermittent fault with the NBN link.

Redridermx

Who do you recommend I talk to about this? Should I try battling Telstra tech support again?

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

That's the only way it will get resolved. They will need to monitor the line for dropouts and forward the request for NBN Co to send a technician out to check the line.

Unfortunately, it may take a few attempts to get them to come out and fix it.

The most likely causes are either a poor termination at the Node (most likely cause), or a faulty joint somewhere between the Node and your premises (less likely and harder to find).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Redridermx,

If @cf4 is correct, and I'm inclined to think they are, our nbn assurance team on 1800 834 273 will be the best team to discuss this issue with, however I would be tactical in my approach. They don't need to know that this stems from a problem with your Playstation connecting to PSN, all they need to know is that you've detected an intermittent fault with the nbn link. If pressed, say you've checked the log file of the router.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Redridermx

I rang them up and they are beginning monitoring of my internet for the next few days hopefully this will lead to some action. thanks to everyone for the help so far especially @cf4 . you guys have been much more help than the call centers can give me. ill keep you posted on what comes next.

JoeJV
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Redrider,

Since the 5th July 2019, I have had ongoing issues with my Telstra NBN FTTP connection.

I know 5 other people (2615 postcode) that have Telstra NBN who are having the same issue... I can only assume more of you out there too.

Web pages will freeze when loading and need to be refreshed (sometimes more than once) to load.

bank apps won’t load properly and need to be shut down and try again to get a connection.

PS4 PSN won’t load correctly to play games online (BO4, Apex, Fortnite), May have to keep trying for 30min or more just to get in. Always a problem with PSN servers did not respond/ or ea server or time out errors.

BUT.....as soon as I hotspot my Optus mobile and try..... no issue at all!!??

100% a Telstra / NBN issue, but only started to make progress today 18/07 with platinum support my complaints officer provided. I hope he solves it, seemed like a good one.

If you have the same issue, make some noise and hopefully it can be resolved soon.

JoeJV

After 12 hours on the phone, it is being taken seriously by Telstra.

Looks like civic, melba, mawson, deakin, qbn, jrra exchanges all affected.

This has been escalated to level 2 support, with this forum used as proof also.

Also this one: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3xkmymv9

I think a fix is very close

Redridermx

still not fixed here at 2630. was told by Telstra that NBN techs would be checking my connection to the node over the weekend. twice they were meant to ring me no call either time great customer service. Its been over two weeks now two weeks of school holidays I don't know what I'm paying for. the customer support is rubbish hopefully knowing more people have this problem it might finally be fixed instead of just getting lied to all the time. we need this fixed it affecting everything now including my business but they don't seem to care I have written this about six times on my phone but it wouldn't let me post it due to errors so hopefully, it goes through this time. 

Redridermx

as far as I know, Telstra never even contacted the NBN to check the node connection. if I knew that leaving Telstra would fix the problem I would be long gone after the way they have treated me. I don't see them fixing it anytime soon but I hope they do

JoeJV

Agreed, each time Telstra escalated it to NBN, NBN did nothing and said everything was good. I’m assuming they performed basic line test that did not identify the issue at the exchanges.

Im not sure why it has taken Telstra so long to progress this issue, it’s a failure for Telstra’s Faults people. They are only trained to read a script and perform basic line tests that focus on the problem being on the customers side.

Telstra also seems incapable of grouping all the faults reported together to understand a bigger issue is at play.

Telstra is yet to even acknowledge that there is an issue online, to let its customers know its being looked at.

Im hopeful it is only days way from a fix, but as always the more complaints the better.

Redridermx

would going to another provider fix the problem do you think? I only have 3 more months left on my contract and I'm not going to pay for a service they cannot provide

JoeJV

From what I understand, it is a Telstra only issue. But I could not say 100% for sure.

For me, it’s dragged out this long I may as well ride it out, but I will make sure Telstra properly compensate me.

Redridermx

Is it still dragging on?

JoeJV

Hey mate,

Still no new info, finally spoke to my case officer, who had no update. Said still with level 2 support.

I requested they release me from my contract, which they did (free of charge) I’m now going to another ISP Smiley Happy

Telstra are literally no help with this issue and I have zero confidence with them. New ISP = no problem.

AnthonyB73
Level 1: Cadet

Have been having similar issues for about two weeks as well. Finally got around to plugging in the new supplied Smart Modem 2 (Technicolor model) to start the transfer over to nbn (am in 2906). Plugged in our Netgear R7000 which is configured to act just as an access point. Waited until all lights had returned to normal. Then tried streaming to one of the PS4s in the house, Foxtel Now, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. All appear to have connectivity issues. Also tried to connect to some game servers but got timeout errors. Tried the Telstra TV2 we have and repeated issue with connectivity/buffering there too. In frustration I unplugged the Smart Modem and returned to the Netgear D1500 we had been using successfully beforehand,  and ask works as it should again.

I guess I'll be waiting until we get cutover to our FTTN connection and trying all again, and then ring support when we experience issues. Not looking forward to that. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now