CrowdSupport®
gem
Level 2: Rookie

Need to Restart Gateway Modem/Router

Answered

Hi,
In the last month I've found that everyday I need to reboot the Telstra Gateway  to get WiFi speeds back to normal. Before reboot, we still have WiFi just extremely slow (like several minutes to load page online slow). Once it reconnects we are back to pretty fast internet speeds (we NBN cable internet), however within 24  hours it needs to be rebooted again. Before this, maybe once a month it needed rebooting but now much more frequent. Any ideas - is it the hardware, or a Telstra thing, or an NBN thing  
Also, is there anyway to automatically reboot the modem everyday eg set it to reboot at 4am everyday so that it works through the day?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gem
Accepted Solution

Re: Need to Restart Gateway Modem/Router

Just contacted Telstra Tech Support and explained the problem, new modem on the way.

Thanks for help, 

Cheers

Gary

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Just to discount a possibility, does your Telstra Gateway have a 4G SIM in it that automatically connects if problems exist on your NBN service? Is it a Smart Modem Gen 1 DJA0230, Gen 2 DJA0231 or an earlier DJA2130 model?

If your Gateway is previous to the above models - is it all Wi-Fi devices or just the same one that slows down? When slow Wi-Fi occurs, does a PC connected to the Gateway with a LAN cable suffer the same condition?  If not, that would indicate the Gateway modem is the culprit - suggest you report to Telstra as a suspected faulty unit for replacement. If you have another used compatible modem, you could test to see if things improve. If the PC also suffers from slowness connected to the same web page/s, then that would indicate a possible network issue that needs to be reported to Telstra.

Are the slow loading page/s, the same one/s or is it a general condition when you connect to any web site? Clearing out your device's browser data cache and history may also assist. Are the slow Wi-Fi devices connecting through to their respective Telstra 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz Wi-Fi  SSIDs. Are there many Wi-Fi SSIDs broadcasting near your area? Does it happen any time during the day or only at peak night times?

I am not aware of any Time of Day resetting function within the modems in general - this could be achieved with an external timer but it is not a proper resolution to the problem.

gem

Yes, the modem does have a sim card and is a model DJA0230DLS, Further to my earlier post,

at 4:30am today I ran three Telstra wifi speed tests which all failed as there was no download or upload speed registered, I then initiated a restart of the modem and after it had ran through its cycle I ran the speed test again and I got 27mbs download and 17mbs upload speeds, back to normal and it will probably stay that way all day, I am also having problems printing from my wifi printer and have come to the conclusion that its the modem, I agree with you that the modem is faulty. I had an online chat with Telstra techs yesterday and explained the problem and all they came up with was to change the wifi channel, which I did and it fixed nothing. A funny thing just happened, The modem just shut it self down and is restarting, this also happened yesterday around the same time, very weird things happening. Well the next step is to try and convince Telstra that the modem should be replaced. Thanks for your reply Mkrtich

@Mkrtich wrote:

Just to discount a possibility, does your Telstra Gateway have a 4G SIM in it that automatically connects if problems exist on your NBN service? Is it a Smart Modem Gen 1 DJA0230, Gen 2 DJA0231 or an earlier DJA2130 model?

If your Gateway is previous to the above models - is it all Wi-Fi devices or just the same one that slows down? When slow Wi-Fi occurs, does a PC connected to the Gateway with a LAN cable suffer the same condition?  If not, that would indicate the Gateway modem is the culprit - suggest you report to Telstra as a suspected faulty unit for replacement. If you have another used compatible modem, you could test to see if things improve. If the PC also suffers from slowness connected to the same web page/s, then that would indicate a possible network issue that needs to be reported to Telstra.

Are the slow loading page/s, the same one/s or is it a general condition when you connect to any web site? Clearing out your device's browser data cache and history may also assist. Are the slow Wi-Fi devices connecting through to their respective Telstra 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz Wi-Fi  SSIDs. Are there many Wi-Fi SSIDs broadcasting near your area? Does it happen any time during the day or only at peak night times?

I am not aware of any Time of Day resetting function within the modems in general - this could be achieved with an external timer but it is not a proper resolution to the problem.

Mkrtich

Telstra should be able to verify is there have been constant drop out problems with your NBN link when they remote in to your modem. If that was occuring , your modem would be swicthing to the slow 6Mbps/1Mps 4G WAN and then throttled down to 256 kbps once 10 GB allowance exceeded. That would explain slow Wi-Fi speeds possibly. 

Your Gen 1 modem may be doing an automated firmware update initiated by Telstra. Have a look at the log-in screen and take note of the version - it may say something like Ver 17.2 Mint or 18.1 - I don't know what the current version is on this model. Helpful to know for you, when talking to Telstra, get them to verify it at the latest version. If they send you a new modem, it will be a Gen 2 - either the Technicolor DJA0231 or the Arcadyan LH1000 variant. The Technicolor one seems to be less troublesome, but this can vary from time to time.  

gem

I have unlimited internet and therefore no throttle down, my internet speed should not alter except in high usage periods, certainly not at 4:30am, software ver 17.2 is loaded. Thanks once again for you advice

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The latest firmware version for Gen 2 modem is 18.1.c.0384-950-RB

The latest firmware version for Gen 1 modem is 17.2.0468-820-RA

Both these firmware versions were released this month which lines up with when you started having problems.

gem
Accepted Solution

Just contacted Telstra Tech Support and explained the problem, new modem on the way.

Thanks for help, 

Cheers

Gary

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

Hopefully things will improve. The throttling described in earlier post only applies in relation to when the NBN is down or is unavailable for extended period/s of time over a period of a month and the 4G LTE WAN port is constantly being used as the back-up service for data and voice communications. All the best. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now