Highlighted
JMK2
Level 1: Cadet

Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1 Router

Answered

I'm thinking about replacing my HFC fixed broadband with a Nighthawk M1 Router. HFC gives me a steady 100Mbps performance. The Telstra product description for Nighthawk states that it has "typical speeds of 5-300Mbps in 4GX coverage areas". Is anyone getting poor performance, i.e. much less than 100Mbps? I can't afford to go backwards in speed as I work from home.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1 Router

The speed that you get is going to depend on the reception in your area. At work I get around 220Mbps on my phone but only around 75Mbps at home.

On my FTTN connection I get 27Mbps, which is more than enough to do my work. And that's with my wife watching Netflix at the same time. Unless you are constantly downloading massive files (eg for video editing), you don't really need massively high speeds. Also, if you were doing that you would go broke very quickly as mobile data is a lot more expensive.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

The speed that you get is going to depend on the reception in your area. At work I get around 220Mbps on my phone but only around 75Mbps at home.

On my FTTN connection I get 27Mbps, which is more than enough to do my work. And that's with my wife watching Netflix at the same time. Unless you are constantly downloading massive files (eg for video editing), you don't really need massively high speeds. Also, if you were doing that you would go broke very quickly as mobile data is a lot more expensive.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JMK2
Level 1: Cadet

Just a quick follow-up. I tested my Mobile data speed at 10pm last night, at home, and I got a download speed of 55.9 Mbps and an upload speed of 8.5 Mbps. That was on my Samsung A5 phone. Do you think I can get better speed with the NightHawk or is the network capability and signal strength the main factors here?

It will depend on the Towers in your area. If you have multiple towers that each have multiple LTE bands in use, then the Nighthawk might get higher speeds, but it may not.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now