Juz70
Level 1: Cadet

Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1 Router

I just got back from my parents place in Mulgrave (VIC).  They were given a Telstra Nighthawk M1 4G modem to "tide them over" until the NBN is rolled out at their unit in a retirement village a few months back.  I just went over there with a Chromecast to try and set them up to stream Netflix from their PC to their TV.

It didn't take long to discover this was impossible...their wifi speeds were a nightmare!  I finally ended up going on to their PC, which is using a wifi dongle to their Nighthawk sitting about a metre away.  speedtest.net showed a download speed of 0.69mbps.  The device itself was showing 2-3 bars on the 4G connection indicator.  As you can imagine this made surfing websites almost impossible let alone streaming Netflix.  I read online that this modem should be able to deliver 1Gbps speeds, theoretically...but in real life seems to be giving people at least 50mbps or more...why would my parents be getting 0.69??  They pay a fortune for this thing!  I moved it to a few different locations around the house but couldn't get any better.  I didn't have an ethernet cable to try out with their PC, but would that help anyway?  I suppose if their wifi dongle on the PC is busted maybe.

The test was run around 5pm today, on a Saturday.  0.69!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1 Router

Id recommend removing the battery from the nighthawk for 30 seconds then place it back in and retest the connection. If could be the WiFi adapter in the computer, It wouldn't hurt to test on an Ethernet connection to the computer.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1 Router

Hi Juz70, Just checking in, is the issue still occurring?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more