Dougal_McBear
Level 1: Cadet

Netgear Nighthawk Data Offloading IP Address

Answered
Hi I have set up my M1 for wireless offloading via my Samsung Note 8. The IP address for the phone is 192.168.1.70, but on the Settings>Status page for the router, it shows "Offloading by Wireless", "IP Address 192.168.43.49". A nonsensical address with no way to edit it. Can anyone help me please?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear Nighthawk Data Offloading IP Address

(note: I'm detailing this out just in case you've got the wrong idea about offloading, but mainly for anybody else who reads this)

The "Offloading by Wireless" is for the Nighthawk to connect to a wifi network in order to use the Internet connection of the Wifi network. The IP address is controlled by the DHCP server of the Wifi network that the Nighthawk connects to.

eg. you are working in a cafe that has a wifi hotspot. You connect the Nighthawk to the cafe's wifi and connect your devices to your Nighthawk (handy if you have a printer or wifi hard drive).

If you want the Nighthawk to use the internet connection of your Samsung Note 8, then your need to turn on tethering on the Note 8 and set the Nighthawk to connect to the Note 8 for offloading. The Note 8 will supply the IP address to the Nighthawk.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear Nighthawk Data Offloading IP Address

(note: I'm detailing this out just in case you've got the wrong idea about offloading, but mainly for anybody else who reads this)

The "Offloading by Wireless" is for the Nighthawk to connect to a wifi network in order to use the Internet connection of the Wifi network. The IP address is controlled by the DHCP server of the Wifi network that the Nighthawk connects to.

eg. you are working in a cafe that has a wifi hotspot. You connect the Nighthawk to the cafe's wifi and connect your devices to your Nighthawk (handy if you have a printer or wifi hard drive).

If you want the Nighthawk to use the internet connection of your Samsung Note 8, then your need to turn on tethering on the Note 8 and set the Nighthawk to connect to the Note 8 for offloading. The Note 8 will supply the IP address to the Nighthawk.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now