toolsofpwnage
Level 1: Cadet

Netgear R7000 vs Smart Modem Gen 2 Wifi Capabilities

Answered

Does anyone know which one is better in terms of wifi performance. More specifically 5ghz wifi. I just got connected onto the NBN and I find not being able to change the dns on the smart modem to be quite a deal breaker. So I plugged my Netgear R7000 into the NBN box instead and it works just like before. Now I'm considering of keeping it this way and returning the smart modem back to Telstra. i know by not using the smart modem, I loose the 4G backup feature and the phoneline, but if that's the only compromises I make then thats fine. Would there be anything else I would miss out on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear R7000 vs Smart Modem Gen 2 Wifi Capabilities

If you have a non Telstra modem and a fault develops it will be harder to get support, also if you want to use Telstra Air hot spots you will lose free access to Telstra Air and Fonunless you also have Telstra Mobile phone or Broadband service, Apart from that there is nothing else you will miss. If you don't have to pay for the modem I would keep it as a spare.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

If you have a non Telstra modem and a fault develops it will be harder to get support, also if you want to use Telstra Air hot spots you will lose free access to Telstra Air and Fonunless you also have Telstra Mobile phone or Broadband service, Apart from that there is nothing else you will miss. If you don't have to pay for the modem I would keep it as a spare.

Highlighted
toolsofpwnage
Level 1: Cadet

In that case I'll keep the smart modem as a backup. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now