Highlighted
spider161
Level 1: Cadet

Netgear modem wont connect to Internet

Answered

I have a new Netgear D6300 (AC1600) modem router that wont conect to the BigPond internet account.

The wireless link is fine from the laptop to modem.

However I cant get the modem set up to make the connection to the internet.

It says either

- incorrect username and password (which I have checked is correct)

Or

- its accepts the username etc and then part way thru the update of the modem's internet connection settings it just cuts off the wireless link (the rest of the time the wireless link is stable)

??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear modem wont connect to Internet

Hi spider161

Welcome to CrowdSupport. To get around the problem(modem not accepting the username/password) it would be best to run the Install CD you received when signed up for BigPond. If that's not available the modem would need to plugged into the computer with an Ethernet cable and username/password manually configured by going into the modem interface through the Browser. The default IP address for modem interface would be printed on the Modem label.

-Faaiz

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Zhisong
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

1. From the left menu select 'Basic Settings' under 'Setup'.
  2. For the question does you internet connection requires a login, select 'no'.
  3. For the field 'Encapsulation' select PPPoA.
  4. Enter your BigPond email in login and BigPond password.
  5. In the field 'Internet IP address' select 'Get Dynamically from ISP'.
  6. The field 'Domain Name Server (DNS) Address' should be selected as 'Get Automatically From ISP'.
  7. Click 'Apply' and wait for the page to refresh.
  8. Reboot the modem and see if it connects.

yup, I have tried, works, problem solved

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi spider161

Welcome to CrowdSupport. To get around the problem(modem not accepting the username/password) it would be best to run the Install CD you received when signed up for BigPond. If that's not available the modem would need to plugged into the computer with an Ethernet cable and username/password manually configured by going into the modem interface through the Browser. The default IP address for modem interface would be printed on the Modem label.

-Faaiz

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

TheMilburns

Hi spider161
I have the same modem/router and exact same problem. I have been configuring the connection via the online interface, the cd Telstra provided stops it's own wizard once we say no to all the Telstra modems and we have to use that anyway. Same problem though - DSL connection is detected but I get incorrect username/password or it just times out or something. I've tried the netgear genie wizard and same thing. Any help is appreciated thanks
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TheMilburns

Welcome to CrowdSupport. Found this info on Netgear Support relating to ADSL setup, I've modified as per BigPond requirements:

Connect an Ethernet cable to the modem. Open a browser and on the address bar type 'http://www.routerlogin.com' or 'http://192.168.0.1' and use 'admin' for username and 'password' for password unless it has been changed.  Once the Netgear router GUI is open, follow these steps to configure:

6. The field 'Domain Name Server (DNS) Address' should be selected as 'Get Automatically From ISP'.

For other settings please refer to this link with more info on BYO modems setup: http://goo.gl/5TMjhl

If the above doesn't resolve, the issue could be firmware related and would be best to speak to our Premium support partner Telstra Platinum: http://goo.gl/QGnqrI

-Faaiz

TheMilburns

Hi Faaiz
Firstly your steps 2 and 4 are conflicting.
Secondly I think your instructions are for an old netgear menu.
Finally, after speaking with netgear support and then back to Telstra last night we were escalated to level 2 support. A technician flushed our line and then we connected straight away.
Thanks anyway
Zhisong
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

yup, I have tried, works, problem solved

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now