CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Desmond22
Level 2: Rookie

No 4G connection for Telstra Smart Modem

Answered

We want to get connected to the NBN soon (moving from ADSL2) but the Telstra 4G network at our location is very poor for a smart modem to connect to (as we live in a semi rural location in the Northern Rivers). We run businesses from home so not having an internet connection for more than a day in out of the question.

How long is the average wait for getting switched over in the Northern Rivers?  If it's more than 24 hours then what are my options for getting connected via a 3G network whilst waiting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: No 4G connection for Telstra Smart Modem

Normally should only take about 15 minutes to switch from ADS to NBN FTTN. I connected the new gateway before connecting to NBN and only lost the internet for about 15 minutes. The new gateway should work with the existing ADSL connection. You might have to log into the gateway and enter your Bigpond username and password if it doesn't work.
http://192.168.0.1 > Broadband

The only way to connect via 3G is to use a compatible 3G USB modem connected to USB port on the Gateway but you would have to would need to purchase a prepaid or post paid SIM.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

Normally should only take about 15 minutes to switch from ADS to NBN FTTN. I connected the new gateway before connecting to NBN and only lost the internet for about 15 minutes. The new gateway should work with the existing ADSL connection. You might have to log into the gateway and enter your Bigpond username and password if it doesn't work.
http://192.168.0.1 > Broadband

The only way to connect via 3G is to use a compatible 3G USB modem connected to USB port on the Gateway but you would have to would need to purchase a prepaid or post paid SIM.
Desmond22
Level 2: Rookie

Ah ok, it's more straight forward than I'd imagined, I feel mighty relieved by your answer. I was half expecting the advice that a dial-up account works wonders as a stopgap until someone flicks the switch LOL /feeling all warm and nostalgic.
I'll definitely do a little more investigating into time it takes to switch over, 15 mins seems incredible/impossible to me (due to past bad experiences) not that I don't believe you... even 24 hrs would be a breeze. ok well I guess we'll suck it and see.
Thanks for your response.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now