CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Not sure if I have been told the correct info

Answered

Just got off the phone to support for a hardware issue with a Telstra modem.  The issue is faulty equipment and intermittent power loss. I was told that internet dropouts a few times a week is expected and normal behaviour - I would be unhappy with the service if this happened on a regular basis - is it correct and expected behaviour to have an Internet service as unreliable as this?  I hope not but I was told it is normal…

The second thing I wanted to check was who is responsible for the Telstra modem - again this is a faulty modem - I was told I would have to pay for a new one because it was out of warranty?  I thought this was Telstra hardware and their responsibility to replace not mine as it is part of the internet service (it is the Telstra modem not the NBN modem)…. does anyone know if the responsibility is mine or Telstra‘s to replace the modem?  I was told that as a once off and ”no one else would do this” I would get a replacement modem at no charge but this doesn’t sit well - I don’t want to be a whinger which is why I am following up here.

What should I expect from my Telstra service?  If I should have paid for the modem and it is normal for such an unreliable service so be it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Not sure if I have been told the correct info

If the modem is under 2 years old it is Telstras responsibility to replace the modem. Most other ISPs will only replace there modem's if they are still under warranty. You could argue that Telstra should replace the modem as you can only use there modem is needed for the phone service to work so you can't supply your own modem.

It is not normal to to lose the internet several times a week but NBN Co will only fix short drops in the internet connection if they occur more than 7 times in a day.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Not sure if I have been told the correct info

If the modem is under 2 years old it is Telstras responsibility to replace the modem. Most other ISPs will only replace there modem's if they are still under warranty. You could argue that Telstra should replace the modem as you can only use there modem is needed for the phone service to work so you can't supply your own modem.

It is not normal to to lose the internet several times a week but NBN Co will only fix short drops in the internet connection if they occur more than 7 times in a day.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more