JB_WA
Level 3: Gumshoe

On my Gateway Frontier, is this the correct status for the Mobile Backup, or should I call support?

Answered

Last week we switched to Telstra Cable due to repeated, extended outages with our old ISP on ADSL. We decided to get the Telstra Gateway Frontier (technicolor DJN2130) so that we had the 4G backup.

So far the internet works fine, and the 4G backup status looked fine last week, but I have some worries about whether the backup will still work if needed. This is because the “Backup” light (signal strength indicator) is now “Off”, and I’m not sure whether that is its normal state when the primary network is available, or whether it is a fault with the Gateway - there are other posts on crowdsupport that seem to say this is a common problem. Can anybody set me straight before I try to call support?

As well as the “backup” light being off, when I log into the router a number of things have changed since the router was first installed. Then, I could log onto the router and in the “advanced” section see that the Mobile was “Connected”, then click on the link to get full mobile diagnostic (things like Cell Id, RSSI, RSQ) and there was a little chart showing the trends of RSSI, RSRQ and RSRP. Now, the router “Advanced” shows that the Mobile is “Enabled”, Status: “Connecting”, Radio Type: “LTE”, Quality: “Good” – when I click on “Mobile” the “Diagnostics” it just show: Network Status: “Searching for network”, Service Status: “Limited service”, Access Technology: “LTE”; there is no chart showing trends.

We are in the middle of the Perth metro area, but we live in a dip and the 4G signal is a bit weak. It is weaker still in the cupboard where our network equipment and patch panel live, so I installed an external mobile phone antenna. Using the internal antenna the Frontier Gateway diagnostics show that the signal is “weak”, however with the external antenna it flicks between “Good”, “Excellent” and “Superb”. The router is set to Auto select the antenna, and it is selecting the external one. Apart from the changes in signal strength, nothing else changes if I manually select the internal or external antenna.

I have power cycled the Frontier Gateway and nothing changed. I did a factory reset on the Router and “mobile” returned to how it was last week – “Connected” and with the full Mobile diagnostics. But that has now all disappeared, and further factory resets have not changed anything.

I’m reluctant to actually test the failover (for example by powering off the Netgear CM450 cable modem for an extended period), because that might be in breach of the “Service Limitations” in Telstra’s terms and conditions for the Frontier Gateway.

As I say the internet is working, it is whether the backup will work, if required, that I’m worried about.

After all that this is my question: Is the current state of the Frontier Gateway for Mobile Backup normal or should I contact support?

The current condition is:

Lights: “Backup”: Off, “Online”: Green, “Link”: Green

Logging onto Gateway: (also see screenshots)

Basic Screen: “Your Broadband service is working normally. You are connected online.”

In “Advanced” Menu:

- Mobile: “Enabled”,

- (I know that Radio Type: “LTE”, Quality: “Good” are fine)

In Mobile:

Device Status And Settings

-EnabledSmiley Surprisedn

-Device Status: Connecting

Diagnostics:

-Network Status: “Searching for network”,

-Service Status: “Limited service”

Frontier Gateway Mobile Configuration.jpgFrontier Gateway advanced.jpgFrontier Gateway Mobile Diagnostics.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JB_WA
Accepted Solution

Re: On my Gateway Frontier, is this the correct status for the Mobile Backup, or should I call suppo

I think that I have solved my problem with my Telstra Gateway Frontier not providing mobile backup, so here is a more concise summary of my problem and my fix so you don't have to read everything above.

The Problem

We signed up for a Telstra Gateway Frontier as part of our new cable broadband bundle, specifically so we had mobile backup in case the cable failed. Initially it appeared that the backup was available, but after a few days it appeared that the backup was no longer available. Note that our primary internet connection via cable has worked perfectly all along.

We had an external, roof mounted antenna that was connected to the Gateway to ensure good signal strength.

Symptoms

1. The “Backup” signal strength light on the top of gateway was OFF. (it should be red, orange or green to indicate marginal, average or good mobile signal strength)
  2. Logging onto the gateway (192.168.0.1), in the “advanced” menu:
    1. In the “Mobile” panel the “Status” was “Connecting” It appears that it should be “disconnected”. In our case the signal quality was shown as “Good”
    2. Clicking on “Mobile”:
      1. on the “Configuration” tab under “Device and Setting”:
        1. “Device Status”:“Connecting” (it should be “Disconnected”)
      2. On the “Diagnostics” tab, under “Most Recent Values”:
        1. Network Status: “Searching for Network” (should be “Registered”)
        2. Service Status: “Limited Service” (should be “Normal Service”)
        3. The chart area at the left was blank (it should show trends of some mobile signal quality parameters), and there were no other items shown below “Service Status”
      3. If an external antenna is connected, you may be able to get the Backup running by switching temporarily to the “Internal” antenna (backup light will come on), and it may continue to work for an hour or so, but then the “Backup” light will go off again.

Resolution – this worked for me, but I can’t guarantee it work for you. My Gateway had Firmware Version: 17.2.0219-820-RA but is now RB.

1. On the “Advanced”,“Mobile”, “Configuration” tab change “Antenna Selection” to “Internal” and wait (and wait and wait). Eventually, in my case it was 5 minutes in one case and a lot longer in another instance, the “Backup Light” should come on. It will be red, orange or green depending on the signal strength. On the “Diagnostics” tab the various parameters should be as described above, there should be a chart showing a trend of signal quality parameters. If the light doesn’t come on in an hour then you may have some other problem.
  2. If you have a single external antenna, then make sure that it is connected to the REAR antenna connector. The one directly above the ADSL/PSTN/Phone ports. You can then change the “Antenna Selection” to “Auto” or “External”.
  3. If you do NOT have an External antenna, then leave the “Antenna Selector” on “Internal”

My theories on what the problem could be.

1. My modem may have some fault on the front antenna port.
  2. There may be some sort of software bug associated with the antenna selector when it is selected to “Auto”:
    1. In the case where no external antenna is connected it eventually switches to the external antenna anyway, but gets no signal.
    2. In the case where a single external antenna is connect to the front port it eventually decides to disconnect from the network, but doesn’t switch back to the internal antenna because it getting a good signal from the external antenna.
    3. I’m not absolutely certain about the purpose of the two antenna ports, but it may be for diversity or MIMO processing, which can improve signal quality significantly in poor conditions. If this is the case then it may be that a single antenna must be connected to the rear port. The front port may only be for a second antenna, if installed. There is no official documentation so who knows. 
21 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Re: On my Gateway Frontier, is this the correct status for the Mobile Backup, or should I call suppo

Unless you have an external antenna the selected antenna should be internal. Try changing antenna selection to internal.

The backup lights should be either green, orange or red.

See section 25 of the document linked in this post for what to expect on Mobile pages

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Telstra-Gateway-Frontier-DJN2130-Unofficial-Do...

JB_WA

Thanks for producing the excellent manual.

As I mentioned above I DO have an external antenna. It is similar to the photo in your manual. It's mounted on the roof and it gives far better reception than the internal antenna. The signal is POOR on the internal antenna, but goes  to GOOD/EXCELLENT/SUPERB on the external. When it was briefly working, after I did the first factory reset,  the Advanced>Mobile>Diagnostic Tab showed that with the external antenna the RSSI was -75dBm. So signal and antenna selection are not the problem.

Currently the "Backup" Light is OFF. On Advanced>Mobile>Diagnostic, the chart with the radio quality data is blank. The Bar indicator show 4 Bars, but the "Most recent values" show:

Network Status: Searching for network (was "Registered" when it worked)
Service Status: Limited service (Was "Normal Service" when it worked)
Access Technology: LTE

and that is all. My phone is connecting to 4G as well and is working fine.

I chatted online to support on Saturday and they have now referred it on. There seem to be a lot of other posts with this similar problem, and in some cases it appear that people have been sent a new gateway.

The firmware on my gateway appears a bit old, don't know whether that is a problem. Firmware Version 17.2.0219-820-RA

17.2.0219-820-RA is the latest firmware. The last I heard was 17.2.0219-820-RB was still being tested.

The 4 Bars shown for the "Most recent values" was the received signal when the device was working.

Is there any chance the antennae lead is broken?
JB_WA

Firstly, about the antenna. I am fairly sure that it is OK. I don't have any proper test equipment, but to test things I've made a 700MHz quarter wave antenna (100mm of copper wire), which just plugs into the SMA female connector. I disconnect the antenna cable from the SMA to FME adaptor and plug the that into the end. When I hold it right up against the antenna area on the back of my phone the signal level increases significantly. It goes from about -120dBm to about -103dBm, which would indicate that cable is OK. The short FME/SMA adaptor cable is short and is OK. 

Secondly, I am now totally confused because whilst I was doing all that it has started working! I had switched the antenna from "Auto" to "internal" before I went and checked the cable. The Radio diagnostics were showing 1 bar and it was still "Searching for network". When I came back to the computer the Mobile diagnostics were showing the graphs and all radio statistics. There was 1 bar and the RSSI was -92dB. I have switched the antenna to "external" and it is all still working. It now shows 4 bars, RSSI is -72dBm, and all the other signal quality parameters are significantly better. That again confirms that the antenna cable is good.

The Network Status is "Registered" and the Service Status is "Normal service"

I wonder if there is some issue with the antenna selector being on Auto? I'll leave it on external for now.

Telstra may have done something in the background, though the timing is too much of a coincidence.

@cf4

RB has started being deployed and has been ramping up the last few days
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
JB_WA

I spoke too soon. The connection dropped out after about an hour, despite the good signal from the external antenna. That's annoying because I would rather have the better signal levels and more reliable performance if the cable drops out. Some people up the road say that they have had a few extended outages on their cable.

I eventually switched back to the internal antenna, and though it took a while, the Gateway reconnected to the mobile network. I then moved the external antenna to the other antenna port on the Gateway and switched back to "external" antenna. It has now stayed connected for over 10 hours. There may be some problem with the first antenna port that I was using. Alternatively, the two ports are there to provide MIMO capabilty with multiple antennas, maybe a single antenna needs to be attached to a particular port (which is of course not documented)

Out of interest here are some extracts from the logs:

Every 30 sconds the Gateway tries to attach to the mobile network, but fails:

Mon Feb 12 18:48:27 2018,daemon.notice [4880]: [mobiled] (RegisterNetwork) runs RegisterNetwork-Main.check(timeout, 1)

Mon Feb 12 18:48:27 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Attaching to network
Mon Feb 12 18:48:27 2018,daemon.warn [4880]: [mobiled] Failed to attach

I've switched to the internal antenna:
Mon Feb 12 18:48:55 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Using antenna 1 as main
Mon Feb 12 18:48:55 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Using "internal" antenna for main

Five minutes later it successfully attaches to the mobile network:

Mon Feb 12 18:53:56 2018,daemon.notice [4880]: [mobiled] (RegisterNetwork) runs RegisterNetwork-Main.check(timeout, 1)
Mon Feb 12 18:53:56 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Attaching to network
Mon Feb 12 18:53:56 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Network registration state changed to: registered

I've switched to the external antenna:
Mon Feb 12 19:01:44 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Using antenna 1 as main
Mon Feb 12 19:01:44 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Using "external" antenna for main

Just over an hour later it has unregistered from the mobile network despite the good signal levels..
Mon Feb 12 20:06:58 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Network registration state changed to: not_registered
Mon Feb 12 20:06:58 2018,daemon.info [4880]: [mobiled] Executing "ubus send mobiled '{"dev_desc":"1-2","pdp_type":"ipv4v6","session_id":0,"session_state":"disconnected","dev_idx":1,"event":"session_state_changed"}'"
Mon Feb 12 20:06:58 2018,daemon.notice [4880]: [mobiled] (Idle) runs Idle-Main.check(network_deregistered, 1)

After that I've switched to the internal antenna, it has reconnected (it took quite a while this time), I've swapped the antenna cable to the other FME connector, switched back to external antenna and it has stayed connected for over 10 hours.

Which antenna socket does it work okay on? The back or front socket
JB_WA

It's remaining connected to the mobile network on the back one, directly above the phone/PSTN/DSL ports. See photo. It was previously connected to the other one.Frontier Gateway Antenna Connection.jpg

ThanksSmiley Happy

Wayne666
Level 2: Rookie

Hi
I'm have the same problem, with the "Backup" light not showing. Recieved a new modem last Thursday and it work fine up untill yesterday when the light went out, the screen shots above displaying the faut are the same mine are showing.
I'm using the internal antenna.
Any clues will be great, been the phone to Telstra for the last 1 and a haft hours, transfered 4 times and they can not seam to be able to help.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you
Ozmoz
Level 16: Secret Agent

@Yastiandriewrote:
@cf4

RB has started being deployed and has been ramping up the last few days

@cf4 Yep, got it on my modem this AM.

Will be interesting to see if it fixes the DHCP I had with my Plex PC.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
JB_WA

You could try going into the gateway ->advanced> mobile and change the antenna from "auto" to  "internal". 

Wayne666

Yes I have tried both settings, "Auto and Internal" waiting for support to call me back today. I was on the phone to them yesterday for 2 hours. They were very insistent that I give them the phone number of the SIM card, and did not realise that the user dose not have that information, so they asked me to pull the SIM out and give them the number on the SIM card, that was more confusing for them as the number starts with a "9" and once again insisted it should start with an (8).

Gee it would be great if I could find some one who really knows about these modems in the support team.

Thank you
Ozmoz
Level 16: Secret Agent

@Wayne666wrote:

Yes I have tried both settings, "Auto and Internal" waiting for support to call me back today. I was on the phone to them yesterday for 2 hours. They were very insistent that I give them the phone number of the SIM card, and did not realise that the user dose not have that information, so they asked me to pull the SIM out and give them the number on the SIM card, that was more confusing for them as the number starts with a "9" and once again insisted it should start with an (8).

Gee it would be great if I could find some one who really knows about these modems in the support team.

The ICCID starts with an 8 and if available in the Gateway/Mobile/Sim info.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
JB_WA

It can take a long time before anything happens after changing the antenna selection. When I was changing things around, the first time that I changed to "internal" it took 5 minutes to connect, another time it took almost an hour. In both cases I though that it hadn't worked, but was surprised to find it working when I came back after doing other things.

So when you change it, wait for a long time (even overnight).
Do you know what sort of signal levels you are getting? On the "Advanced" screen the "Mobile" box should show some bars and describe "Signal Quality". Even when mine was not backing up, it showed 4 bars and Signal Quality: Good, but the Status was "Connecting". That was with the external antenna. When I switched to the internal antenna it (eventually) started showing backup with a "poor signal quality.
JB_WA
Accepted Solution

I think that I have solved my problem with my Telstra Gateway Frontier not providing mobile backup, so here is a more concise summary of my problem and my fix so you don't have to read everything above.

The Problem

We signed up for a Telstra Gateway Frontier as part of our new cable broadband bundle, specifically so we had mobile backup in case the cable failed. Initially it appeared that the backup was available, but after a few days it appeared that the backup was no longer available. Note that our primary internet connection via cable has worked perfectly all along.

We had an external, roof mounted antenna that was connected to the Gateway to ensure good signal strength.

Symptoms

1. The “Backup” signal strength light on the top of gateway was OFF. (it should be red, orange or green to indicate marginal, average or good mobile signal strength)
  2. Logging onto the gateway (192.168.0.1), in the “advanced” menu:
    1. In the “Mobile” panel the “Status” was “Connecting” It appears that it should be “disconnected”. In our case the signal quality was shown as “Good”
    2. Clicking on “Mobile”:
      1. on the “Configuration” tab under “Device and Setting”:
        1. “Device Status”:“Connecting” (it should be “Disconnected”)
      2. On the “Diagnostics” tab, under “Most Recent Values”:
        1. Network Status: “Searching for Network” (should be “Registered”)
        2. Service Status: “Limited Service” (should be “Normal Service”)
        3. The chart area at the left was blank (it should show trends of some mobile signal quality parameters), and there were no other items shown below “Service Status”
      3. If an external antenna is connected, you may be able to get the Backup running by switching temporarily to the “Internal” antenna (backup light will come on), and it may continue to work for an hour or so, but then the “Backup” light will go off again.

Resolution – this worked for me, but I can’t guarantee it work for you. My Gateway had Firmware Version: 17.2.0219-820-RA but is now RB.

1. On the “Advanced”,“Mobile”, “Configuration” tab change “Antenna Selection” to “Internal” and wait (and wait and wait). Eventually, in my case it was 5 minutes in one case and a lot longer in another instance, the “Backup Light” should come on. It will be red, orange or green depending on the signal strength. On the “Diagnostics” tab the various parameters should be as described above, there should be a chart showing a trend of signal quality parameters. If the light doesn’t come on in an hour then you may have some other problem.
  2. If you have a single external antenna, then make sure that it is connected to the REAR antenna connector. The one directly above the ADSL/PSTN/Phone ports. You can then change the “Antenna Selection” to “Auto” or “External”.
  3. If you do NOT have an External antenna, then leave the “Antenna Selector” on “Internal”

My theories on what the problem could be.

1. My modem may have some fault on the front antenna port.
  2. There may be some sort of software bug associated with the antenna selector when it is selected to “Auto”:
    1. In the case where no external antenna is connected it eventually switches to the external antenna anyway, but gets no signal.
    2. In the case where a single external antenna is connect to the front port it eventually decides to disconnect from the network, but doesn’t switch back to the internal antenna because it getting a good signal from the external antenna.
    3. I’m not absolutely certain about the purpose of the two antenna ports, but it may be for diversity or MIMO processing, which can improve signal quality significantly in poor conditions. If this is the case then it may be that a single antenna must be connected to the rear port. The front port may only be for a second antenna, if installed. There is no official documentation so who knows. 
Wayne666

Hi 

Will change the antenna to internal, from the Auto setting, and leave it over night.

The Mobile tab at the moment.

Network Status:Searching for network

Service Status:Limited service 
The Quality: Fair but varies between Fair and Suburb

A new modem number 6 should arrive in the next day or two, will be interesting to try it out.
Will let you know now it goes.

Thank you
VMAXXY
Level 1: Cadet

Hi There,

I am getting a similar error where there is no backup light and in admin page, it is stuck in connecting! I have tried changing the antenna to Internal but with no luck! Any suggestion to fix this?

You will have to call Telstra support 132200. If this is a new modem it could be the SIM has not been registered or you might be in an area without 4G reception. The only other thing you could check is that Link profile is "Telstra Hybrid "
Advanced > Mobile > Device Status and Settings
VMAXXY
Level 1: Cadet

Hi There, I have called the support and getting no luck. It is a new modem where the SIM was registered and it worked while I had a network outage. Post outage, it stopped working so I think either my service has been barred or there's an issue on the router.
Support Team
Support Team

Ok, if tech support were unable to assist and they think it might be barred come through our secure billing chat line here and ask them to check the account -  http://tel.st/49kl.

They will be able to confirm if there has been any barring put on the account.

- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines