Bazza4
Level 4: Private Eye

Pairing my HP printer with my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

My printer is side by side with my modem. I alert the printer wifi and depress the pair button on the modem for 5 seconds. They both keep flashing green but nothing else happens. If pairing occurs the printer should display a solid green light. I believe the printer is 2400 ghz but the modem should detect this. I am pulling out the little bit of hair I have left.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Pairing my HP printer with my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Try Turing off band steering in the modems 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This will result in -5G being added to end of the 5GHz WiFi band SSID. IP address of modem is http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra.

Bazza4

Thanks for the reply cf4 I have turned off band steering on 2.4Ghz and has made no difference. To correct myself the printer wifi light is blue and stays on for about a minute whilst the green modem flashing light stays on much longer. I previously had this printer connected through a Telstra Max but it was installed through an hp CD which does not work on Windows 10. By the way when I reached the IP site I just tapped login and it took me straight in. No password needed. 

The modem you had before was it the Cable version off the Max CG6300D or the DSL version TG799. If the old modem was the TG799 the problem might be due to the printer being set with a static address 10.0.0.xx instead of 192.168.0.xx.

Which model printer do you have?

Bazza4

Previous modem was theTG799 and my printer is HP laser Jet Pro M12w which has buttons only.

Suggest you reset printer and then use installation software which can be downloaded from link below

https://hpsoftwaredriver.net/hp-laserjet-pro-m12w-driver-download/

To reset

1: Turn Off Printer

2: Turn On Printer

- but hold BOTH buttons on the Printer: The Red X (Cancel) and the WPS button, until you see the lights flashing!

Bazza4

Hi cf4

1. I tried your reset tip, if I know what I’m doing, and tried to download the software from your suggested IP address. Stalled at 53% after one hour however I have downloaded the same software four times and each time I go to enable it, it extracts, sticks on 71% for some time then finishes extraction and goes nowhere. I use the email address on the printer as neither my pc nor my iPad will connect and guess what.......I got one printout so something must be connecting somewhere however I’ve been unable to duplicate that result. I think I might just try another printer, but not HP.     Cheers.      Barry

The HP server is a bit slow. Before running "hp_LJPM11-M13_Full_Solution-v20160225-10229428-signed.exe" right click on the file select properties, select compatibility, Tick run as administrator then click on OK.

Make sure printer is plugged into PC via USB.

If that doesn't work right click on the hp_LJPM11-M13_Full_Solution-v20160225-10229428-signed.exe file, select Troubleshoot  compatibility and use recommended settings.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now