Tude
Level 2: Rookie

Panasonic cordless phone doesn't work with Smart Modem Gen 2

Answered

I recently lost my HFC NBN connection.  To tide me over I bought a Smart Modem Gen 2 (Technicolor DJA0231) for mobile backup, replacing the Sagemcom F@st 5355 modem. 

NBN is now restored but my Panasonic cordless (model KX-TG8163ALB), which worked with the Sagemcom, doesn't work with the Smart Modem.  All I get when I try to connect is a faint buzzing - no dial tone, and if I phone home it doesn't ring.  The cordless base unit is hard-wired to the modem.  My basic Telecom handset works fine with the Smart Modem.  Any suggestions on how to get the cordless working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tude
Accepted Solution

Re: Panasonic cordless phone doesn't work with Smart Modem Gen 2

I tracked down a new 2 handset version of my old/current Panasonic cordless--which is good because the base unit can fit straight onto the existing wall mount--and replaced the two components that I suspected had been fried i.e. the base unit and the charging cradle for one of the handsets, and everything now works again as it should (and I've got some spare components for next time!).

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Mkrtich
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Tude - if your wired phone works correctly in the green Phone port, it is possible to link the Panasonic Cordless Base Station to the same socket in two ways.

1. Connect a telephone cable from the Router Phone to the wall outlet where your primary phone was connected to. That will link the router to all your internal telephone points that are in parallel - I am assuming you have at least two outlets - home phone and base station for cordless phone that are fabled in parallel. Under this arrangement you will have cordless phone only operation.

2. If you wish to maintain a traditional home phone working in parallel with the cordless system, buy a RJ11 Double Adapter and insert it into the Router green Phone Port - this will enable you to connect the home phone and the cordless base station onto the Phone Port under shared and simultaneous operation.

Hope this helps

Mkrtich

Tude - forgot to mention , not sure what model Smart Modem you have -

1.If you have Telstra Smart Modem - there are two green sockets - Phone 1 is only active, so that is your telephone line. Phone 2 socket is not activated by Telstra. 

2. If you have Smart Modem Gen 2 - that is easy - there is only one green socket. 

3. RJ11/RJ12 Double Adapters should be available at Officeworks, Big W, KMart or any retailer that deals with Telephones and Accessories.

Tude

Hi Mkrtich, thanks for your reply – unfortunately that’s not the answer.  The cordless is already wired in parallel with the old Telcom handset -- both hooked up to a new Gen 2 Smart Modem with 1 phone socket.  If I plug my old Telecom handset in by itself it works fine.  If I plug the cordless in instead, it doesn’t work – only a faint buzzing sound when I take it off hook.  Also, when I phone home, it goes straight to message bank – the cordless doesn’t ring.  And if I plug them both in in parallel, neither works.  The cordless and Telecom handset both worked perfectly well in parallel with my previous Telstra Sagemcom “dumb” modem. 

The NBN outage that started it all was the result (I believe) of a voltage surged from a lightning strike near our house which took out, among other things, the power supply to the cordless phone base unit.  I’m beginning to think that it may have damaged the base unit as well – the handset itself seems OK.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It sounds like the cordless base has been damage and is overloading the phone port on the Smart modem. Why it doesn't overload the F@st5355 is mystery as both the Smart Modem and the F@st5355 are rated at 3 REN.

Tude

Thanks cf4. The cordless and Telecom handset worked together on the F@st 5355 before the lightning strike. I didn't get to try them on the F@st 5355 after the strike because I left it with Telstra for recycling when I bought the Smart Modem. Looks like I should think of replacing the cordless. (BTW it was just as well I bought the Smart Modem -- it took 3 weeks and a lot of hassling to get the NBN back again!)
Mkrtich

Tude - sorry that it wasn't a simple fix and I apologise in advance if you have already undertaken what I am about to outline.
If you suspect base station may have hiccupped with potential power surge, it could be a hardware issue as you indicate or some indications of corrupt software which may be determined by further investigation.
1. Assuming with Base Station LEDs and Displays functioning, the Cordless Handset 1 shows the BS Icon and 3 signal bars, message icon and battery status and you can Intercom Cordless Handsets 2 and 3 - this verifies if DECT cordless phone is working. If not, try Deregistering and Reregistering the phone. My Panasonic BS has a speaker button for broadcasting to all cordless phones simultaneously - handy for locating them in the home when misplaced - this also verifies internal communications work properly.
2. Check Base Station Ring Volume Setting - I found on one of my cordless handsets the other day that the Speaker volume had mysteriously gone down from 3 to 1 - only discovered this when I had difficulty hearing people.
3. Check Power Fail Mode setting to see if the phone is stuck in that mode from potential power surge. I am not sure if the power supplies for the chargers are the same as for the BS on your model for any potential substitution.
4. Take Base Station and Cordless phone to non NBN premises and test it on a traditional telephone landline or analog PABX extension to see if it fully functions there - that way you will know if it truly faulty.
5. You have no other legacy devices on the parallel telephone cabling interconnected via ADSL splitters. I am assuming since all worked OK before that Telstra had previously disconnected the exchange line AC from your telephone line when you upgraded to NBN.
Mkrtich

Erata - typo last sentence - that should have said exchange line DC.
Tude

Thanks Mkrtich. The intercom function works perfectly between all 3 cordless handsets; ringer volumes are all good; and all 3 handsets are charging (after I replaced the power supply for the base unit) so not a power fail issue. (Interesting: I couldn't find an Australian Panasonic one - 5.5v, 500ma - anywhere. Ended up buying one for a Karcher window cleaner - 5.5v, 600ma - and it works fine.) That leaves testing on a PSTN line. I'll be visiting a friend on Wednesday and will test there. I'll report back then.
Tude

Hi MKrtich
I got to test the cordless on my friend's PSTN line today and it didn't work there either -- same faint buzzing sound instead of dial tone when off hook and engaged when I tried to phone it. Looks like the lightning fried something in the base unit itself as well as the power supply so will have to invest in a new one.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Tude,

If you'd like someone to look into this further I would suggest engaging an NBN technician, you can get hold of one by calling 132200. 

Let us know how you get on.

Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mkrtich

Tude - Good that you now know that for sure. If you get the same base station (preferred even if you have to buy a system with 1 or 2 phones) or stick to the Panasonic family, they are all DECT 6.0 (Euro DECT & GAP ) compliant which allows you to use all three existing phones with the new base. Panasonic don't seem to assist customers by publishing a Base Station to Phone Compatibility Matrix in Australia for reusing legacy components on current systems which is a shame. 

The Telstra Router supports an Integrated DECT CAT-iq 2.0 Base Station function which appears to be designed for small personal home networks limited to one base station within the Router. This standard is made for Router Gateways and in theory allows third party phones certified for CAT-iq 2.0 to function in basic format only; 2.1 extends the functionality. Telstra market a CAT-iq 2.0 handset called the T-Voice 503 for approx $50. I have no experience with this and it seems within the price sensitive residential market they are pioneers in this field. Other vendors of these units seem to focus on the Private VoIP and business market and their phones are priced accordingly.  All the best. 

Tude

Thanks Mkrtich
And thanks for your helpful suggestion that I test on a PSTN line -- it confirmed where the problem lies. I think the circuitry in one of the handset cradles has also fried because the handset doesn't charge properly despite correct output voltage on the cradle and new batteries in the handset. (The handset charges OK on my third cradle). So it looks like I need a base plus at least one additional handset.

I note your point about the Telstra unit. I understand that CAT-iq 2.0 will pair wirelessly with the Smart Modem which is a possible advantage over DECT 6.0 which doesn't -- but then I need more than one cordless handset.
Mkrtich

Tude - the Telstra Gen 2 Router will support multiple DECT CAT-iq 2.0 telephones, possibly up to 6 handsets - not sure of the limit. Despite its lure of High Definition Voice Quality and unknown performance, the economics may not be consumable given your existing working phones. I have a Panasonic KX-TG8061 AL - BS with 3 Handsets and 1 Repeater to cover the home and outdoor area. Some time ago, my son gave me his unwanted KX-TG 6721 AL - BS with 1 handset. I deregistered one of my TG8061 phones and re-registered it to the TG6721 BS - all went well and it retained the original Phone Directory from the TG8061 system which was unexpected - I then copied the directory from the TG8061 phone wirelessly to the TG6721 Phone - all worked fine. I assume the same would occur with current generations of these units and expect that you would be able re-use your existing phones on a new model base station if you can't source the original model. Gumtree is also a good place to look for unwanted cordless phone systems. All the best.

Tude
Accepted Solution

I tracked down a new 2 handset version of my old/current Panasonic cordless--which is good because the base unit can fit straight onto the existing wall mount--and replaced the two components that I suspected had been fried i.e. the base unit and the charging cradle for one of the handsets, and everything now works again as it should (and I've got some spare components for next time!).

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more