CrowdSupport®
Dogs1954-2016
Level 1: Cadet

Parental controls on Smart Modem Gen 2

I am trying to set time of day access rules for individual devices on the Arcadyan Gen 2 modem but the parental controls wont seem to let me set two different rules for the same mac address. So I cant for example set access until 10pm on school nights and midnight on weekends for the same device. The error message I get is "This entry has been in list" which doesn't make much sense but I think it means you already have a rule for this mac address so you can't add another. I could do multiple rules for same device with my Technicolor Gen 2 modem but it developed a fault and had to be replaced and I now have the Arcadyan. Anyone got any ideas?? Cheers...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Parental controls on Smart Modem Gen 2

This is a limitation of the Arcadian modem and there is no work around.

Hopefully if enough people raise this as a fault with Telstra, Telstra might include support for creating more than one time of day rule in a future update.

Julstar

Hi,

I have been trying to do the same thing with the parental controls on the Arcadyan.  I have resolved that it does not do what I want and I will try to connect my old DODO router/modem which enabled me to set these specific parental controls. 

Question is could you please help me connect these two devices so that I don't lose the ability to have 4G backup and my home telephone? I have read on other threads that I'm required to bridge these devices but I'm not sure how.  Any assistance would be most appreciated.

If you wish to keep the phone and 4G backup connect the Dodo modem's WAN port to a LAN port of the Telstra modem. Place Dodo modem in DMZ of the Telstra modem (Advanced > Firewall > Firewall DMZ) Make sure the LAN address range of DoDo modem is not the same as Telstra modem (192.168.0.xx) If the same change either the LAN address range of Dodo or Telstra modem so that they are not the same. If you use a dynamic DNS service sett up the service on Telstra modem only.

Julstar

Thanks cf4 for your reply.  I have made the cable connections as mentioned above and set the ip address of the dodo modem to 192.168.1.3 (telstra modem 192.168.0.1).  I activated the DMZ on the telstra modem. however when i add the destination ip of 192.168.1.3 it says its invalid.  I'm not familiar with setting up DMZ sorry.

To place the Dodo modem in the DMZ of Telstra modem use the LAN IP address of Telstra Modem that Dodo modem is connected to. It will be same as WAN IP address of Dodo Modem. You can find the IP address by going to Advanced > Local Network > Devices on the Telstra modem's GUI.

Highlighted
Julstar

Ok great that fixed the destination ip and its saved.  So now do I connect the home devices to the Dodo modem in order to establish parental controls?

Yes turn WiFi off on Telstra modem and connect all devices to Dodo modem.

Julstar

cf4 thank you so much!  I'm up and running and can now happily set parental controls that are more specific and flexible for the household devices than the ones on the Telstra smart modem Gen 2.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now