CrowdSupport®
Support Team
Support Team

Pi-Hole and the Smart Modems

The original thread has been archived, but for background, have a read of this one: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Gen-1-Smart-Modem-and-Pi-Hole/td-p/829088.

I'm pleased to report that it truly was as simple as installing Pi-Hole, configuring the Pi with a static IP, turning DHCP on the Smart Modem off and activating DHCP in the Pi-Hole's configuration menu.

To give the best speed between the router and the Pi as possible I used one of the ethernet ports, and if it has resulted in a slow down, it's hardly noticeable.

I can even confirm it even works when the 4G backup is active - had a drop out long enough recently for the backup to kick in and it continued to work without missing a beat.

Pi-Hole does have it's limitations, like it won't block ads on Youtube before/during/after videos, but the web has been a much cleaner experience since turning it on. It even works on in app ads on my Android tablet.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now