CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Port Forwarding

Answered

Hi, after a very stressful week dealing with Telstra I have received a new Gen 2 modem. I have been told by Telstra that setting up port forwarding is easy, but seen as 3 people at platinum support have been unable to help I am left wondering who it is easy for. I have set up my new modem and connected my alarm panel to the WiFi. I am now want g to set up the port forwarding so I can set it remotely. I have no idea which of the radio button options I need to choose. Can anyone advise on what I need to do to get this set up again. I am completely IT illiterate so need full instruction with baby steps. TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Port Forwarding

One of the things I discovered in modem's with the latest firmware is that if the alarm Is on 2.4GHz WiFi band you can access it from devices connected to the 5 GHz band. Suggest you disable band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz WifI settings. Disabling band steering adds -5G to the 5GHz WiFi SSID. Connect your phone to modem's SSID with -5G on end and see if you can access the alarm.

The only other thing you can do is temporarily turn WiFi off on the phone or connect using the alarms local IP address.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

There are instructions for how to set up port forwarding in section 9 of the documents linked in these posts

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231

If you have the Arcadyan Modem suggest you use the ipcam or servers button and modify the protocol and ports to those required by your device.
Highlighted

Thanks, I have entretd this details, saved & rebooted. I have checked to see if the port is open & it is, but I still can't connect by entering the IP in my browser. Is there something else I need to enable on the modem for me to get access to the port? 

Highlighted

Do you have the Arcadyan version of the Gen 2 modem. Arcadyan Gen 2 modem's with firmware earlier than 0.09.11r did nog support NAT loopback, even modems with this latest firmware update don't support NAT fully. If NAT loopback is not supported you can't test remote access to your device. To test remote access you need to test from a device not connected to modem.

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for the additional info. I think what you have put explains why I can get access if on mobile data therefore not on the netwotk but not when on WiFi. Is there anything I can do to get access when on WiFi? I would like to be able to unset my alarm when I arrive home from the car, but my phone auto connects to the WiFi when I pull into the driveway. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

One of the things I discovered in modem's with the latest firmware is that if the alarm Is on 2.4GHz WiFi band you can access it from devices connected to the 5 GHz band. Suggest you disable band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz WifI settings. Disabling band steering adds -5G to the 5GHz WiFi SSID. Connect your phone to modem's SSID with -5G on end and see if you can access the alarm.

The only other thing you can do is temporarily turn WiFi off on the phone or connect using the alarms local IP address.

View solution in original post

Thank you so much. I don't have 5g on my phone but can access directly via the IP. I can deal with having to have 2 short cuts on my phone. Will check out the 5g solution when hubby gets home. I have spoken to 3 people at Platinum support and they have had no clue on how to resolve this. Thanks again. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more