Highlighted
BoTimes7
Level 2: Rookie

Portforwarding Not Working

Answered

Hi All

I've been looking for answers for a couple weeks now, however, to no avail.

Some online game servers need port forwarding to host, however, when going through the gateway, to advanced, WAN Services and port forwarding, it never seems to work. For reference, I'm trying to port forward port 27015, and every time open port checkers all show that the port is closed. I'm completely lost.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BoTimes7
Accepted Solution

Re: Portforwarding Not Working

So Thanks for responding, however, I had just fixed it! thank god, I changed the DNS server by going to network connections, right clicking on the Wi-Fi adapter, clicking on the "Internet Protocol Version 4" , then check "Use the Following DNS server adresses:", and change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and leave the second one blank! Hopefully that helps anyone else who comes by!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

For the port to appear open at a port checking site the app and device that use the port must be listening on the port.

If the app is on a windows PC have exception rules been set up in the windows firewall so that app and port are not blocked by firewall?

Which modem are you trying to set up port forwarding on?

BoTimes7

Thanks for responding so fast!
The app and device are both on and are attempting to listen to the port, however, both the game and the website do not show the port as being open, and Windows Exception Rules are open for the port.
The modem model number is DJN2130 telstra modem.
Thanks!

BoTimes7
Accepted Solution

So Thanks for responding, however, I had just fixed it! thank god, I changed the DNS server by going to network connections, right clicking on the Wi-Fi adapter, clicking on the "Internet Protocol Version 4" , then check "Use the Following DNS server adresses:", and change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and leave the second one blank! Hopefully that helps anyone else who comes by!

I have the DJN2130 and have no problems setting up port forwarding. I use the Basic > Services > Port Forwarding setting to setting up port forwarding rules  and set a static lease for the device in the Advanced > Local network > Static Leases.

BoTimes7

Do you need a Static Lease or is that just for convenience?

Yes I need a static lease because although device tend to get the same LAN IP address each time the connect to gateway it is not guaranteed. The Port Forwarding rules in the Basic > Services > Port Forwarding settings are based on the LAN IP address of devices whereas the Port Forwarding Rules in the Advanced > WAN Services > Port forwarding are based on the MAC address of the device.

I also use static lease because were I can I make the last set of digits of the IP address the same as port number or part of the port number. Example if I am port forwarding port 8085 I make the IP address 192.168.178.85 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more