Pal20
Level 3: Gumshoe

Portforwarding didn't work

After portforwarding, the ports I require access to still remain closed. 

Please help. I have tried turning off UPnP IGD and that still didn't work. I have already reserved my i.p. so I see no way in which this shouldn't work.

My modem is a Sagemcom F@ST 5355.

Portforwading..PNG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
49 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Portforwarding didn't work

Can you conect to the device from a device connect to the local network using the local address and port? What device/app are you trying to port forwarding? If you are trying to port forward a app on a PC might have to configure fire wall on PC. Firewall on gateway should be set to normal.
Pal20

I'm not sure what you mean. I am using the device that has the local address. I have did permit my firewall to use these ports but to be sure I have fully turned off my firewall and it still hadn't worked. I am trying to port forward a program.

If you are setting up port forwarding for a program on a computer will have to check that the ports are open on the PC
See .https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-open-firewall-ports-in-windows-10,3645...

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001324.htm
Pal20

I can assure you that the ports are open on the computer as the firewall is completely off.
Pal20

timedout.PNG

"Timed out" when connected to port 80. What is going on...?

Have you set up port forwarding on modem for port 80 and is there a device or app on your network listening on port 80? Port will not show open unless there is a device / app listening on port 80 and there port 80 has been port forwarded to the device in the modem.

Pal20

Yeah sorry about that. Port 80 isn't what I want open. I still need help with the other 2 ports I've shown. 

I can't see anything wrong. with your port forwarding rules  and port forwarding does work on the F@st5355 so the only thing that would stop the ports not being shown as open Is the ports being blocked by the connection or the PC I'd not listening on those ports.

What type of internet connection do you have and which program are you setting up the port forwarding for?

Pal20

I have an ADSL connection. My son has been experiencing internet lag while gaming online so I've been advised port forwarding was the way to fix it.

Port forwarding want fix internet lag. It will fix problems with some peer to peer games were other gamers are unable to join your game. Is the program running when you test if the port is open?

Pal20

Telstra support told me this and they wanted to shift me to platinum telstra to get it done. I knew something sketchy was up...

Level 22: Superhuman

Nothing sketchy. Standard support ensures your internet connection is working. Where as Telstra Platinum supports issues such as setting up port forwarding. However as CF4 has mentioned port forwarding isn't going have much of an effect on lag (latency). Can you tell us the ping that your son is getting when he games and where the server is based. General rule of thumb further away geographically you are from the server the higher the ping. So you'll get a better experience playing on a server based in Australia than one in Asia or America in terms of Latency.
If you're after me in particular add "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply and I'll get an email on my watch.

For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
Pal20

They told me to port forward and which is why I gave it a go. The server being accessed (in the US) has been used for a while and this lag only started appearing after change of modems. We changed modems because we were experiencing drop outs which is reasonable as the modem was quite old. I've diagnosed the issue to be loss of packets but Telstra was pushing me in a different direction and I'm honestly clueless. They have told me that the line is perfect but I don't understand why there is packet loss and connection disruption. 

Could you post the line stats. These will indicate how good the ADSL link is. The line stats are located here on the F@st5355.
Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Information > Statistics > WAN Layer 1 - xDSL
Pal20

cw1.PNG

Those stats don't look to bad. FEC errors are errors that were able to be corrected by the extra error correction bits in the data. CRC errors occur when the errors can not be corrected and require a re transmission of  the data. On a perfect connection would expect zero CRC errors but you always get some. The  267 CRC over 21 hours could explain the packet loss.

Do you here any noise on the phone line. You are more likely to get a the line fixed if there is noise on the line.

Highlighted
Pal20

No there isn't any noise. There was an outage recently and I honestly thought that was the reason why. The outage was there was around 2 months and it was apparently fixed recently but the conditions are still the same.

Does your sons pc/console connect via ethernet or wifi?

If you ping your modem from his device what kind of ping are you getting? Should normal be less than 1ms

Have you look at the status page for the gaming server if there is one to see if there are any issues there

If possible can you find the gaming servere IP and run a trace route to it and post the results.
If you're after me in particular add "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply and I'll get an email on my watch.

For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
Pal20

His pc connects via Ethernet.

After pinging the modem I do get a ping of 1 ms.

Here are the trace route results:

traceroute2.PNG

Jump is definitely between Sydney and the US. Though I'd expect around the 200ms mark. Do you know what the ping was before you were having this issue? Possibly could be the packets being dropped somewhere and not a latency issue.

Full Disclosure:
Pal20

We used to get 200ms which was completely fine but now my son's ping goes higher up to values of 400-500 or or sometimes even jumps higher. This wasn't the case before and no changes to the actual server have been made.

Could try a new ethernet cable or uninstall and reinstall the ethernet adapter on the computer. Alternatively if you plug in your old modem or if you borrow a friend's does that show any improvement?

At the end of day though there is no guaranteed latency on consumer services. In general with any ISP consumer services are best effort and get to there destination.

Full Disclosure:
Pal20

But if the issue was on my side - wouldn't it have shown on the first few lines of a trace route? I've browsed through threads of other individuals with similar issues and sudden ping increases out of no where due to some fault somewhere down the line. I will go ahead and try what you have suggested and update you about it though.

Trace routes arent 100% conclusive. You're saying it gets up to 500 but the traceroute unfortunately doesnt show that. It also wasnt running continuously. So it could be a problem with the modem dropping packets under load, or the particular ethernet port on the modem or the ethernet cable struggling under the load its being put under. Hopefully one of these solutions fix the issue.

Full Disclosure:
Pal20

After changing ethernet cables and ethernet ports, there was no change. Using another device and running trace routes supplied the same connection issues. Changing back to my old modem resulted in the usual ping that we would get before. My old modem however is extremely old and we have had experienced some unrelated issues with it which is why we have decided to change.

Pinging directly from the modem to the server results in this:

pinging.PNG

How many times did you try pinging from the modem? I tried pinging the same destination on a F@st5355 gateway and got 0% loss of frames and a ping time of 208 ms. It could be your link was receiving CRC errors when you run the test.

Pal20

I have done this test many times and every single one of those times I have received this same result.

Tried the ping test again today and had the same results as you, 100% Frame loss. Tried pinging using a 4 G mobile connection and had same result, 100% Frame loss which indicates the server has disabled respond to ping. Because server has disabled respond to ping the ping test is meaningless. I can't explain why the ping test worked yesterday with a delay of 208 ms.

Pal20

That would explain the trace route as well but this also tells me from the last lines of the trace route that the server is completely fine. I still have no clue what is causing the issue.

Do all 3 lights on the modem have to be green? Just curious because there isn't a light on for the phone one.

Pal20

Sorry, I realised that the phone line was only for NBN connections.

I've been using programs to check the pathway of packets etc to a simple site like www.google.com. It works similar to a trace route.

I think this shows quite a lot.

Connectionsisue.PNG

To narrow down the problem run a test to your central gateway. To find the address of central gateway log into the modem and go to Advanced > Internet > Gateway. If you are still seeing the high packet loss every few minutes then it is the ADSL link that is the problem.

Pal20

Are you sure that's how you get there?

After going to advanced there's both a gateway setting and an internet setting. When going to the internet settings no gateway there so I'm assuming you mean the gateway settings?

I'm not sure where to go from there.

Are you using a proxy server or custom DNS? I noticed that there are quite a few more international hops to www.google.com than in my trace. There are only two International hops on my trace.
Pal20

I'm not using anything different than what was set at default.
Pal20

Is the address of the central gateway also known as the default gateway? If so, I did the test for that address.

The results for this were really bad.

connectionissue.PNG

Yes Default Gateway in the Advanced > Gateway Settings is the same as the Gateway in the Advanced > Internet Settings.

Those results definitely indicates a problem with the ADSL link. It could be the modem, the street cabling or the ADSL port in the exchange. Are you using the same ADSL filter you used with old modem? ADSL filters can go faulty. To eliminate ADSL filter do a test with modem DSL port connected directly to phone wall socket.

Pal20

I can't remove the filter though? I'm using the filter that came with the modem because there is no way you can use the filter from any other modem because you can't disconnect it from the wires it is connected to.

The DSL port on the modem is a standard RJ11 port. Should be able to use any telephone cable.
Pal20

So you want me to remove the phone cable from the phone port and plug it into the DSL port?

Yes connect the phone Wall socket to the modem's DSL port using a phone cable.

Phone Wall Socket------Phone Cable----------Modem's DSL port

Pal20

So I have to disconnect my phone temporarily?

Yes the phone has to be disconnected temporarily.
Pal20

The results without a filter are still very similar and very bad.connectionissue1.PNG

It looks like the filter is not the cause of the problem but the cause either a line fault, a faulty modem or faulty DSL port in the exchange. Your old modem might not have been faulty the drop outs that occurred with old modem might have been caused by a fault on the line or DSL port in the exchange. I not sure if Telstra will investigate a fault that is only causing 2.7% packet loss and the high spikes in latency. Your ADSL link is showing spikes of up to 1610ms which would explain the high latency your son is experiencing in games. The packet loss would also cause problems in fast action games.
Pal20

I'd be quite annoyed if they don't look into this matter.

Pal20

I've contacted them numerous times before and they've always said that everything was fine and that the line was perfect. What is up with that?

Your link is not perfect. A perfect DSL link would have no CRC errors. On my FTTN link I have only 1 or 2 CRC errors per day compared to your 267 CRC errors. As a result on all my measurements today there was no packet loss and maximum latency spike on DSL link was 300 ms. High latency spikes and packet loss below 5% is not noticeable on normal internet activity. It is only noticeable when you play fast action game, use a VOIP service or video messaging app.
Pal20

I went onto the outage site before I was going to talk to someone about this issue and the same outage has suddenly reappeared on the site. This was the same outage "caused by construction" previously and they had said it was fixed before which is so odd? It was confirmed on the website that the outage had ended and now it has reappeared  again. 

So it turns out this same outage has been going on for months now. This really astounds me...

outage...PNG

Pal20

EDIT: After talking to someone on the technical team, they had told me that this is a mass outage and that there are multiple outages affecting many, many customers due to cuts and damages in the cables and more and so this issue is definitely high on their priority list.

On that note I would like to thank you cf4 for helping me so much. You really are a valued member on this site. Thank you 343GuiltySpark also.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more