CrowdSupport®
Brinrac
Level 2: Rookie

Problem connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 WPA2

Hi there,

Wondering if there is any update to fix the Android One wifi connection problem connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. ? If you try to connect via the standard WPA2 5ghz freq it never connects, and only connects when you enable combined WPA & WPA2 on 2.4ghz.

If you try to connect to 5ghz the wifi connection just says (Saved) in Wifi mobile settings  on Android One Mobiles and never tries to authenticate ?. I have 2 Nokia 8.1 Android One mobiles and both have the same problem.

My Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 details - 

Firmware Number
18.1.c.0384-950-RB
Modem Make Model
Technicolor DJA0231

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
PaulC3
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Problem connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 WPA2

Hi Brinrac

Same problem here with my Nokia 8.1. Glad to meet someone with the same problem. Will not connect to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 modem. Work fine until end of September and now no longer connects.

Telstra cannot solve the problem. Even sent a new modem, doesn't fix the problem.

Phone has no problem connecting to other WiFi connections. Telstra blames the phone. Nokia Australia wants me to spend money sending a phone that does work but not on Telstra Modems.

So will try a new service provider when the Telstra contract ends.

Regards

Paul

Brinrac

Hi Paul,

Yes seems like a firmware issue in the Telstra Gen2 modem with certain Android 10 mobiles & WPA2 5Ghz like the Nokia 8.1.

I too can connect to other WPA2 5ghz routers no problem so it's not a Nokia Android 10 os issue.

I will get back onto Telstra about it & hope eventually to get it fixed.

PaulC3

Hi Brinrac

Nokia replied today to me. Known issue and gave me this solution which worked:

Thanks for contacting Nokia Mobile Care!

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your device!

In order for us to assist you better, we need you to provide us with the following information - your devices IMEI number. To find the IMEI code on your phone, go to Settings > About Phone > Status > IMEI Information. If your phone has two IMEI-codes, please provide IMEI1!

We are aware of this issue and the problem is with the router, but nevertheless we are working on a fix. 

Until then please enter the routers settings: (username: admin, PW: Telstra) and go to WiFi > Security mode and change from WPA2 PSK to WPA+WPA2 PSK. 

Let us know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

Best regards,

​Danny

Hope it works for you and Telstra TechHelp - take notes.

Regards

Paul

Nokia Mobile Care

PaulC3

Second Post of Solution from Nokia:

Thanks for contacting Nokia Mobile Care!

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your device!

In order for us to assist you better, we need you to provide us with the following information - your devices IMEI number. To find the IMEI code on your phone, go to Settings > About Phone > Status > IMEI Information. If your phone has two IMEI-codes, please provide IMEI1!

We are aware of this issue and the problem is with the router, but nevertheless we are working on a fix. 

Until then please enter the routers settings: (username: admin, PW: Telstra) and go to WiFi > Security mode and change from WPA2 PSK to WPA+WPA2 PSK. 

Let us know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

Best regards,

​Danny

Nokia Mobile Care

Brinrac

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the Nokia info. I will keep using WPA/WPA2 PSK for now till fixed by Telstra firmware update.

As Nokia advised this is a router issue and not Nokia phone related.

Brinrac

See also earlier Telstra Thread on this same issue. Again the only thing users could do is change the modem to WPA/WPA2 PSK to connect in 5Ghz wifi mode.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Android-not-connecting-to-Telstra-Smart-Modem-...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more