CrowdSupport®
marnijones
Level 2: Rookie

QoS? ADSL2+ MODEMS DROP ALL CONNECTIONS - T-GATEWAY MAX (TG799) & T-GATEWAY (TG797)

Answered

(Yes I've given up calling Telstra)

Since 10th June experienced long periods (up to hours) being disconnected from internet, network, modem.

3 brand new modems quit all connections to them, then reset, / "hang" / refuse reconnections, for substantial periods of time, very often.

BEEN THERE, TRIED THAT: Chronologically, and in summary:

-Connecting my laptop via all methods

-connecting my devices as many different ways as possible

-Replaced, swapped all cables, filters, each time, incl. cabling I know works.

-connecting modem directly to phone port.

-connecting phone directly to phone port.

-connecting one device a time.

-UsedTelstra 247 chat app/website often  -got nowhere.

-Many hours on phone with Telstra, mostly repeating myself, and being told textbook answers, nothing to do with what my issue is - absolutely given up.

-lines/molds test -Telstra Level 1 Tech Support

-escalation to Level 2 Tech Support

- 8 hrs testing lines complete - recorded dropouts in connections, no reason. Absolutely guaranteed me it was not my modem - don't bother returning it to the store / swapping it. "Its a fault in your lines, its definately not a quality of serice issue. Absolutely not a congestion issue, nothing at all to do with the exchange". She sent a tech to our house.

-Level 2 Tech - replaced "a box" somewhere outside my house, "it could be the cause"

-Level 2 Tech also left a new TG797 and said if issue persists, swap modems, if it persists, ring Telstra. He closed my case "no line fault found".

-I swapped modems to the "reliable" TG797.The connection issues were identical and as often, and for as long as with the TG799.

-I returned both modems to the Telstra Shop 2 days ago,after 1 hr, the sales person tells me I must leave the store without a modem- "they will post one out to you, in 5-10 business days".... a deep breath and a pretty please = I left the store with a new TG 799 "you cant contact Telstra Level 3 Tech's. if issue persists contact the Ombudsman".

-2 hours to re-setup modem. A co-incidence that even my attempts to log into Telstra Webmail were refused?

-Telstra rang me at 1am to check if I was still having connection problems?!!

-TG799 #2 replicates identically, the same issues as modem #1 and the TG797, if not for longer periods of time between allowing manual reconnections.

Connections Drop, to all devices:

-Irrespective of 2.4GHz and 5GHz

-wifi / wifi direct

-wps

-usb(network harddrives)

-ethernet (laptop)

-AC(foxtel)

-Wifi usb adapter

DEVICES:

-laptop (ASUS  N53SV - purchased 2010)

-tablet (Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition - purchased May 2014)

-mobiles (LG Google nexus 4)

-AV Reciever (ONKYO AV696)

-Foxtel (IQ2HD box - new 10 June 2014)

-Camera(Samsung WB800F)

-Printer (Canon Pixma MG5460 - purchased 2013)

MY CURRENT ASSESSMENTS:

-Telstra Level 2 has no idea

-Telstra Level 3 sit at the table beside God/The Pope/all USA presidents/Mother Theresa-  nil communicado. Hope and Prayers for answers

-these new modems do not have a very long" wait" period in their settings?

Its like if theres nothing back in a tiny period of time, it drops out, and infact restarts/reboots/ freezes up/ etc?

-all modems seem to connect at a significantly slow speed, like 56k modem at peak times.

-all modems will not reconnect any device itself, when it restarts or unfreezes etc.

-all modems cause my laptop to lag heavily right at the point the modems "crash" - sometimes causing me to hard reboot my laptop!

-the admin menu of the TG797 is setup for the intellectually challenged, nothing is visible/ assessible!! useless

-the "log" of the TG799 is rediculous , hopeless, and only shows what is at most a few minutes old(limited "scroll back") and none once its reset/turned off. I cannot access any information to ascertain a cause.

...Surely its not just me?... is it?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
marnijones
Accepted Solution

Re: QoS? ADSL2+ MODEMS DROP ALL CONNECTIONS - T-GATEWAY MAX (TG799) & T-GATEWAY (TG797)

As usual, I have channelled my inner level 3 Telstra tech support and although I cant fix modems, I have resolved that there is a major issue with these T-Gateway modems- in the settings/parameters from the factory.

My 5 year old Thomson router connects without dropout issues, via ethernet to my laptop - Telstra tech level 3 just confirmed connection of nearly 4 hours without dropout.

This morning, in 2 hours the level 3 Tech could only come up with this advice:

-change my Wifi channels on my modem (had no suggestions for ethernet, usb dropouts though)

-wait for someone from Telstra complaints to contact me in 24-36 business hours to see what they come up with.

I will buy a real, working modem/router , any modem. A non-Telstra modem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
mco35407

Re: QoS? ADSL2+ MODEMS DROP ALL CONNECTIONS - T-GATEWAY MAX (TG799) & T-GATEWAY (TG797)

No, me as well - I was told buy new computer, update plan etc. Still lousy access

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Marnijones,

That's quite the ordeal Smiley Sad I've sent you a PM to grab some details. I think we need to take this fault onboard. 

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

marnijones
Accepted Solution

As usual, I have channelled my inner level 3 Telstra tech support and although I cant fix modems, I have resolved that there is a major issue with these T-Gateway modems- in the settings/parameters from the factory.

My 5 year old Thomson router connects without dropout issues, via ethernet to my laptop - Telstra tech level 3 just confirmed connection of nearly 4 hours without dropout.

This morning, in 2 hours the level 3 Tech could only come up with this advice:

-change my Wifi channels on my modem (had no suggestions for ethernet, usb dropouts though)

-wait for someone from Telstra complaints to contact me in 24-36 business hours to see what they come up with.

I will buy a real, working modem/router , any modem. A non-Telstra modem.

DomenicMoretti
Level 1: Cadet

I Just received my Telstra R-Gateway (TG797nv3) modem and had nothing but issues. All lights are green but when browsing internet pages don't load. So I went back using my old billion 7800N and works fine. So I suggest to not used the modem telstra provides. they are useless. Spend 4 hours of my life to get it working and no luck

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DomenicMoretti

When you connected up your Telstra T-Gateway (TG797nV3) did you enter your BigPond username/email and password into it?  The issue you mention where all the lights are green but you are unable to access the internet in indicative of the following issue.  

The modem will connect and it will connect using  generic BigPond details, specifically newdsluser@bigpond.com, this will allow a connection and show all the correct lights, but not allow data flow because of the way the generic account is set up.  You can test this by reconnecting your T-Gateway and checking the log in details.  

To do this  go to the following IP address 10.0.0.138 (or just click on this link if your device is connected via Wi-Fi to the modem in question)

• Under the title Broadband Connection, there should be a blue link titled 'Internet' or 'PPPoEDSL', Click on that link and it will take you to a new page.
  • Click on the 'Disconnect' button, you should then see a username, it may be newdsluser@bigpond.com, it should be your mail BigPond email address/username. 
  • Change it to your BigPond email address, and underneath remove the dots and add your password.
  • Click on the 'Connect' button.  This should get you on-line using the correct detail and allow data to flow.

Hope this helps.

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Peeble04

I have an issue that is even crazier. My t-gateway TG797) is a second hand one which hadn't been reset to default. The first thing I did was to do that using the web browser. I then entered my username/password as above and all worked well for around 30 seconds. It then dropped the internet, although the DSL link was still OK. On checking I found that the username had reverted to that of the previous owner. I did another factory reset, this time using the reset button on the router. Same thing happened. I set my username, it connects and works for 30 seconds, then the username changes back again. This is very frustrating. Any ideas?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Peeble04,

Strange that it would change back again, and our Tech Support team will need to look into this for you. It's possible to call any time on 133933, and can also contact via live chat here: http://tel.st/gq6m

Peeble04

Thanks. I'll get onto support tomorrow. Yes, it is strange!
Support Team
Support Team

Let us know how you go. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Peeble04

I spoke to the Telstra support team member who was very helpful. We tried quite a few options but the fact that a full reset didn't restore the "newdsluser" configuration meant that there was a firmware issue and the modem was faulty. I am chasing a replacement.
Thank You
MaccaBull

Ditto to everything you have said. In other forums I have read it turns out that we need to be able to turn off or on the QoS settings if affected by Apple products. But I also use a windows laptop and still have same issues. Where is the NBN or whatever your pedalling Mr Turnbull. ADSL2+ may be good if your close to an exchange but more then 2klm and you're screwed. New modem works sometimes and great speed, but randomly I drop to half or even third speed and speedtest varies between devices too on same network.

Hamalot

Read your sad tale and can fully identify with your story. Can I ask what you purchased to replace the Telstra toy shop model, and if you can recommend what you purchased? Cheers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now