CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Elviae
Level 1: Cadet

Red Eco light on Technicolor TG587n V3

Answered
Hi,
I've been unable to connect to the Internet all night. My modem is showing a red Eco light with the dsl, Ethernet and WAN lights all flashing. When I pull up my browser the technicolor gateway tells me the modem can't detect a DSL signal. I have unplugged everything (including phone lines) and plugged them in again as well as reset the modem and nothing has improved.

I have an assignment due tomorrow for university and I need to submit online so this need to be fixed URGENTLY.

Modem serial number: CP11325A0LH

What should I do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Red Eco light on Technicolor TG587n V3

Hi Benleroux,

If the lights are identical to the original post, this could have a number of causes.  As always with ADSL the first thing to check is that your equipment is configured correctly. Following this link will provide a guide to what to check

The next thing to try would be to return the modem to factory resettings and reconfigure. I recommend checking that you have the current username/password combination by logging in to https://myaccount.bigpond.com/MyServices.do 

Once you have these details, this is how you do it:

- click on the following link: http://10.0.0.138

- select Technicolor Gateway from the left hand menu

- at the bottom of the page, select Reset my Technicolor Gateway

- click on the button that says Yes, reset my Technicolor Gateway

It will take the modem a minute or two to complete the restart. Once completed you will then need to reconfigure the modem using the following steps:

- select Broadband Connection then Internet Services from the left hand menu

- click on the Disconnect button then the View More link

- delete the modems default username and password and enter in your full BigPond email address and password

- Click on Connect

If you continue to experience difficulties, then please contact our Tech Support team on 137 663 or via Live Chat to check for further faults in the network or replace the modem if you are within the contract period.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Level 22: Superhuman

G'day,  and welcome to CrowdSupport.

I assume you've pressed the Eco button and held it in. Does it change colour?

I'm assuming you can connect to the gateway at least.

If you can connect to it, go to home network>Interfaces>Wlan>Details.

Lastly, if you are desparate, connect using an ethernet cable. Can you now see the internet?

If none of this helps,  call support, and have them help you, but I suspect it's all local to you.

Good luck with your assignment.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Elviae

The Eco button doesn't change colour when J press it. The gateway information on the WLAN doesn't seem to be showing anything abnormal and the Ethernet is as crapped out as the wireless.

I have to head off to work now, so unfortunately I don't have time to sit on the phone for hours while people with terrible accents tell me to do everything I've already done over and over again.

Thanks anyway though.
hurlockj

Has this erro been fixed as I'm also having it?
benleroux
Level 2: Rookie

I Have the same problem - Yours been fixed ? - Telstra replaced my old modem with a new one like yours - Worked for a couple of days and now the fashing lights as with your modem

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Benleroux,

If the lights are identical to the original post, this could have a number of causes.  As always with ADSL the first thing to check is that your equipment is configured correctly. Following this link will provide a guide to what to check

The next thing to try would be to return the modem to factory resettings and reconfigure. I recommend checking that you have the current username/password combination by logging in to https://myaccount.bigpond.com/MyServices.do 

It will take the modem a minute or two to complete the restart. Once completed you will then need to reconfigure the modem using the following steps:

- delete the modems default username and password and enter in your full BigPond email address and password

- Click on Connect

If you continue to experience difficulties, then please contact our Tech Support team on 137 663 or via Live Chat to check for further faults in the network or replace the modem if you are within the contract period.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

sumfool

the problem i get is when my pc reboots or the internet is idle , the modem goes into eco mode .

how can i disable eco mode all together so it will never go idle and even if it does go idle it will stay connected always ?

please and thank you Cat Happy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Sumfool,

The modem shouldn't default to eco mode. If this is occurring I would suggest defaulting the modem to remove any settings that could be causing this.

Brodie

Brendan75
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Some excellent advice has already been given.

Red ECO light does not indicate "ECO" mode but rather a connection error.

The ECO light will go red when there is no DSL detected and the username and password is rejected.

(ECO mode is a BLUE ECO led and results in no WiFi.  WAN/DSL LED will still be solid on)

If the WAN /DSL LED is red also it indicates authentcation failure.  If the WAN/DSL LED is flashing it means the modem has no DSL sync or has dropped the DSL sync.

This usually happens if there is a line fault, but some modem settng changes can cause it (including a firmware update pushed through).

First thing you should do is an isolation test, removing all devices from the lne except the modem. 

Second test is change the Filter for a new one.  Bigpond often supply two ADSL2 filters with the modems.

Thirdly, factory reset the modem as described in an earlier post.

Try a dfferent modem/router if you have one, if it works then the BIGPOND one is toast, if not it could be a line fault.

Contact BIGPOND support, tell them you have done all the tests and often they will escalate it straight to level 2 for investigation.  The steps I listed are the ones Level 1 support get you to do.

WizardLAD

hi,

i am having a similar problem to the one already noted. My modem just dropped out for some reason last night. the eco light is a solid red and the wireless light is flashing. i can connect to the modem just have no internet connection. all cables are connected correctly and have tired multiple rests including  the below suggustion

- Click on Connect

this still doesnt work.

is there a way i can have someone disconnect the internet to my house then turn it back on again to see if this fixes the problem??

thanks 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi WizardLAD,

There is no way for us to do what you have asked via CrowdSupport.  I would recommend that you check out our Service Status page to see if there is an outage in your area. Service Status Page.

If there isn't then please try an isolation test.  http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

If you are still unable to get the modem online then you can contact our technical support team on 133 933 or via our Live Chat page to investigate this further.

- Ben

Optimus

I am have a very similar problem, the only difference is it drops in and out intermittently but regularly. How do I fix?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

The ECO light being red indicates that there is an issue with the connection and to refer to the other lights to help diagnose.

Without specifics *similar* issues are a bit tricky to advise how to fix. The following links provides general troubleshooting for ADSL services which may help you, but if the issue continues, you will need to contact Tech Support on 133 933 so that this can be investigated further for you.

ADSL Isolation: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

WiFi Troubleshooting: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516  

ADSL Line Profile http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Change-your-ADSL-Line-profile/ta-p/110182 [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.]

- Shelly

tam_knight

I'm having the same problem. I've rang Telstra support several times but they can't sort out what the problem is either. They have advised it will take at least a month before a technician can come and look at it.
SuckerPunch

For a whole week and several hours and reset after reset I still dont have the issue with the Technicolor modem sorted.
It started after the lines need repairs due to a lighting strike which took out ask sorts of things including My old Thompson gateway, it was replaced with the Technicolor one which did not allow the two desktop computers to connect one lan one wifi after trying to fix it through help from tech support nothing has worked since.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi SuckerPunch,

The TG587n V3 should be able to connect several devices to the the internet via a WiFi connection and a LAN /Ethernet connection.  

On the back of the modem you will see 4 yellow ports, one is labelled Gbe, this is a Gigabyte port and may not be compatible with some PC's, try connecting your device to the other ports, labelled 1, 2 & 3.

After preforming a 'Reset' to factory default, the TG587n V3 will remove any modifications placed into the user interface and start up using the 'out-of-the-box' settings.  This includes the username and password you entered in to the modem to connect to the internet.  

Are you able to check the modem interface to see if your username and password are correctly entered into the modem?

To do this: 

• Enter the following IP address, 10.0.0.138, into the address bar of your browser (or just click on this on the link if your device is connected via WiFi to the modem in question)

Browsers Address bars.png

•  Under the title Broadband Connection, click on the blue link titled 'Internet'. You will be directed to a new page titled Internet.

TG5x-Ustep1.png

• To top right of that box you will see a button 'Disconnect'
  • Click on the 'Disconnect' button. You will now see a Username and Password field which you can modify. (It will probably be newdsluser@bigpond.com for modems that have been reset to factory settings).
  • Enter in your BigPond email address and remove the dots in the password window before adding your password.
  • Click on the 'Connect' button.

Note: If your modem has been failing authentication for a long period of time, you may need to wait at least 5 minutes to confirm that the login has been successful.

TG5x-Ustep3.png

If you are still having issues connecting after trying these, I would recommend that you contact our technical support team on 133 933 or LiveChat so that they can investigate your issue further.

- Ben 

lmstearn

Here: ADSL: Thomson ST536 v6 upgraded to Telstra TG797n v3 Eco Gateway

The Eco is a wonderful piece of technology acquired from you guessed it, the Salvos!

Thanks for the info. Going into training and recovering automatically during busy times Friday 3:30-6:00. Probably just congestion?

Works perfectly other times. Smiley Happy

Crowd Support? What about support for the masses?
lmstearn

The drop-outs are continuing at peak times. Had a chat with a chappie from an O/S CC, he couldn't detect anything wrong with the line even while experiencing a drop out.

We both came to consider the possibility of a faulty cable. Have some spare ethernet cables but they are not yellow. The ethernet cables have to be yellow don't they? Or perhaps is it the modem?

Basic ViewSign in
Gateway

Version Amber (16.1)

Serial number: CP1242TARNR

Uptime: 50min 59sec

Broadband

WAN Sensing L2: ADSL
DSL connected
0.38 Mbps

8.16 Mbps

Ethernet disconnected
Internet Access

WAN Sensing L3: L3PPP PPP connected
WAN IP is 58.166.97.133

Wireless

Wi-Fi enabled
Wireless network name is
Telstra6C927D (2.4G)

Local Network

DHCP enabled
Gateway IP is 10.0.0.138 and netmask is 255.255.255.0

Devices

1 ethernet device connected

0 Wi-Fi devices connected

WAN Services

DMZ disabledDynDNS disabled
0 port forwarding rules are defined

0 upnp rules are active

Firewall

Firewall level: normal
Telephony

Telephony enabled
4 Unregistered Accounts

Diagnostics

dsl
ping/trace
connection
network
Telstra Air

Telstra Air down
Mobile 3G/4G

Disconnected
Management

Remote assistance disabled
Content Sharing

File Server enabledDLNA enabled
Parental Controls

Site blocking disabled
0 site blocking rules are defined

Time of Day

0 Time of Day rules are defined

© Technicolor 2014

Event Log help refresh data
xDSL
Ping & Traceroute
Connection
Network
Log viewer
Filter

Date Facility Process Message
Nov 17 15:15:19 daemon.notice transformer [wansensing] (L2Sense) runs L2Main.check(timeout)
Nov 17 15:15:14 user.notice pppoe-relay-hotplug Interface wan ifdown
Nov 17 15:15:13 daemon.notice hotspot hotplug "ifdown wan "
Nov 17 15:15:13 daemon.info dnsmasq[11951] read /etc/hosts - 2 addresses
Nov 17 15:15:13 daemon.info dnsmasq[11951] using local addresses only for domain hotspot
Nov 17 15:15:13 daemon.warn dnsmasq[11951] warning: interface fonopen does not currently exist
Nov 17 15:15:13 daemon.info dnsmasq[11951] compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack dns-filterno-ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC loop-detect inotify
Nov 17 15:15:13 daemon.info dnsmasq[11951] started, version 2.75 cachesize 150
Nov 17 15:15:13 kern.emerg kernel [ 3264.447000] (unregistered net_device): pppoe-wan netdev_wait_allrefs refcnt=0
Nov 17 15:15:13 daemon.notice transformer [wansensing] (L2Sense) runs L2Main.check(timeout)
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[11907] read /etc/ethers - 0 addresses
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.info dnsmasq[11907] read /etc/hosts - 2 addresses
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.warn dnsmasq[11907] no servers found in /tmp/resolv.conf.auto, will retry
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.info dnsmasq[11907] using local addresses only for domain lan
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[11907] DHCP, IP range 10.0.0.1 -- 10.0.0.137, lease time 1h
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[11907] DHCP, IP range 192.168.2.1 -- 192.168.2.125, lease time 1h
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.info dnsmasq[11907] compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack dns-filterno-ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC loop-detect inotify
Nov 17 15:15:12 daemon.info dnsmasq[11907] started, version 2.75 cachesize 150
Nov 17 15:15:11 daemon.info dnsmasq[11100] exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Nov 17 15:15:11 daemon.info dnsmasq[11066] exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Nov 17 15:15:10 user.notice root intercept setup (action=ifdown)
Nov 17 15:15:09 daemon.notice netifd Network device 'pppoe-wan' link is down
Nov 17 15:15:09 daemon.info pppd[10744] Sent 4468626 bytes, received 50640092 bytes.
Nov 17 15:15:09 daemon.info pppd[10744] Connect time 13.6 minutes.
Nov 17 15:15:09 daemon.notice pppd[10744] Connection state changed to disconnecting (phase 9)
Nov 17 15:15:09 daemon.info pppd[10744] Terminating on signal 15
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.warn dnsmasq[11066] no servers found in /tmp/resolv.conf.auto, will retry
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.info cwmpd[4524] PROT_TRACE: LAST STATE:
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice netifd Interface 'wan6' is disabled
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice netifd Interface 'wan6' is now down
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.info cwmpd[4524] PROT_TRACE: Effective retry wait time 2874
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.info cwmpd[4524] PROT_TRACE: Max retry wait time 5120
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.info cwmpd[4524] PROT_TRACE: Min retry wait time 2560
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.info cwmpd[4524] PROT_TRACE: Nb of retries 12
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.crit cwmpd[4524] CONNECTION: Failed to resolve.
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.err cwmpd[4524] APP_TRACE: bad address 'tg797.technicolor.cwmp.bdms.telstra.net'
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.info cwmpd[4524] CONNECTION: Connecting to server retry 11.
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.info cwmpd[4524] PROT_TRACE: Events are waiting, need to contact ACS
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice netifd ipoe (10735): Entering released state
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice netifd ipoe (10735): Received SIGTERM
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] setting brightness to 255
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] writing to /sys/class/leds/internet:red with action none
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] applying action on internet:red
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] setting brightness to 0
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] writing to /sys/class/leds/internet:green with action none
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] applying action on internet:green
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] writing to /sys/class/leds/power:green with action none
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] applying action on power:green
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] writing to /sys/class/leds/power:blue with action none
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] applying action on power:blue
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] setting brightness to 255
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] writing to /sys/class/leds/power:red with action none
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] applying action on power:red
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] writing to /sys/class/leds/powerSmiley Surprisedrange with action none
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] applying action on powerSmiley Surprisedrange
Nov 17 15:15:08 user.debug mmpbxd[3909] [SIPDEV_APN] :I: apnInterfaceUpdateCb:307 - apn interface "wan" IP address updated to 127.0.0.1
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] setting device_name to eth4
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] setting mode to link
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice netifd Interface 'wan' has link connectivity loss
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice netifd Interface 'ipoe' has link connectivity loss
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice netifd Network device 'atm_8_35' link is down
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice transformer [wansensing] (L2Sense) runs L2EntryExit.entry()
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice transformer [wansensing] The L3PPP exit script is using transition L2Sense using l2type ADSL
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice transformer [wansensing] (L3PPP) runs L3PPPEntryExit.exit(ADSL,L2Sense)
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice transformer [wansensing] The L3PPP main script is checking link connectivity and DHCP on l2type interface ADSL
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.notice transformer [wansensing] (L3PPP) runs L3PPPMain.check(ADSL,xdsl_0)
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] writing to /sys/class/leds/broadband:green with action netdev
Nov 17 15:15:08 daemon.debug ledfw[1130] applying action on broadband:green
Nov 17 15:15:08 kern.warn kernel [ 3259.397000] bcmxtmcfg: Connection DOWN, LinkActiveStatus=0x0
Nov 17 15:15:08 kern.warn kernel [ 3259.393000] HOST XTM tx ch 0 disabled.
Nov 17 15:15:08 kern.warn kernel [ 3259.389000] bcmxtmrt: DSD(8714fcbc) - 128
Nov 17 15:15:08 kern.warn kernel [ 3259.380000] bcmxtmcfg: XTM Link Information, port = 0, State = DOWN, Service Support = ATM
Nov 17 15:15:08 kern.crit kernel [ 3259.377000] Line 0: xDSL link down

Searching for that last message turns up little- perhaps a bad node at the exchange?

Thanks for reading!

paulparker
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

IF your connection cables are (upper/lower-case)  "cat-6" or "cat-5"  they will be fine.  

The colours are not as important as the "N" in cat-(N).

Cat6 should provide 10 Gbps speeds for ~100 metres of cable, cat5 supports 1 Gbps "gigabit" speeds, so in theory, cat6 faster than cat5, the cat6 may help IF you heard crosstalk interference (humming or talk between wires inside the cable).

Each cat-(N) has improvements to provide faster, more reliable speed.

Better explanations:    https://customcable.ca/cat5-vs-cat6/

Every dawn is a brand new year...
lmstearn

Prolonged hours and hours of line fault interrupted & aborted conversations along with repeated troubleshooting with the dear O/S CC agents in the 24/7 chat ended with an epiphany from one of the line staff that there was indeed a problem already registered for this area at the local exchange hub.

The CC staff don't have very reliable tools for detecting such line issues, unfortunately, and communication by email in such situations isn't allowed.

The whole process ends up being a very painful.operation for all involved. Smiley Sad

Let's hope they (and us) are better served in future.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now