CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
natsbubbas
Level 1: Cadet

Red "internet" light, other lights green Telstra Technicolor

Answered

Hi, I just moved from an area which I think had NBN, to my old house which had regular cable internet. I brought my modem (Techniclolor TG797n) and plugged it into the wall ethernet cable port. So now the "wireless" light is flashing green and showing my devices as connected, the "ECO" light is solid green, but the "internet" light is solid red. 

There doesn't seem to be any problems logging into my account.

Is this modem compatible with regular cable?

Has the (non Telstra) electrician stuffed something up with the wall port? I used to have a cable with a port for Foxtel into the living room, and the internet in the dining room (on the other side of the wall). Has the electrician not connected the cable itself within the wall cavity to the ports on the wall? If not, is this a job for a (different) electrician, or does it have to be a Telstra technician who does this?

Thanks so much for your time.

Edit: I think the old modem I had broadband cable connected with used a screw-in type of wall-port, whereas the new modem and the new wall outlets are simple ethernet ports. So this leads me to believe this modem won't be compatible with the new ethernet port connections / AND the electrician hasn't connected the old cable inside the wall cavity to the new ethernet outlets... is this correct? Again, do I need a Telstra tech to remedy this or can any electrician do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Red "internet" light, other lights green Telstra Technicolor

Hey natsbubbas,

It depends on a few factors. Most of our NBN modems do have the capability of being used with ADSL services, but it will require a reconfiguration to update the details. Although, if you have an ADSL service there should be a phone socket (rather than Ethernet) that the modem can connect to. If you haven't already, give us a call. We can check this out for you.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey natsbubbas,

It depends on a few factors. Most of our NBN modems do have the capability of being used with ADSL services, but it will require a reconfiguration to update the details. Although, if you have an ADSL service there should be a phone socket (rather than Ethernet) that the modem can connect to. If you haven't already, give us a call. We can check this out for you.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ericomalley
Level 5: Eagle Eye

solid red light on modem internet means the connection is not activative.

Which could be maintence, Lost DHCP server connections or simple your account on that line is not offical registed with Telstra NBN or ADSL service you will need to ring them to confirm the chnage over.

Also solid red light can also mean the modem is in a reconfiguration of firmware stages takes around 20 to 30 minutes tops before it goes solid green again.

Also check you have to Filter between your inline and the modem some home still require the internet filters check all phone connections in house to ensure they all have filters,

other reason for solid red light is outage, fault modem, or simply your inline is damaged or if multi sockets try one of the others maybe be the socket is not activate to confirm this move modem to another room with the phone socket and test it that way first before calling tech support.

Also make sure you have your inline connections in right socket on filters and modem itself this can also cause issues.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now