CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
SilverStingray
Level 2: Rookie

Sagecom F@5355 DNS settings not working for Local Devices under DHCP

Answered

Hi,

THe issue is HOW come I have to set the DNS on ALL local devices manually rather than it picking this up automatically via the DHCP from the F@ST 5355? 

My F@ST 5355 has DHCP set, with some reserved addresses and the FIREWALL Set to HIGH.

I have PNP enabled to allow items like the PS4 to maintain full communication ports it needs)

All my local devices (Iphone, PS4, TV's, Computers, etc) were set to assigned automatically via DHCP, which 'was' working under the default Factory settings.  But isn't now.

I needed to establish some port forwarding rules and tighten the firewall.

If I assign my devices manual IP's and set the DNS to my gateway F@ST 5355 IP then browsing and DN Resolution works fine.  But realisically, I can't maintain this and it defeats the purpose of DHCP.

Can someone guide me to why DHCP is not allowing/respecting  the DNS settings for the local devices inside the network so that they may access the outside world?

Pinging IP addresses works fine -  just no Domain Name Resolution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Sagecom F@5355 DNS settings not working for Local Devices under DHCP

The default setting point to gateway. These settings are located at

Advanced > Gateway > Settings > DNS

Default is 10.0.0.1

If the LAN IP address range of gateway is changed or IP address of Gateway is change the DNS settings need to be changed to new address of gateway for DNS to work correctly. These settings can also be set to point to third party DNS servers such as Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

If changing DNS settings in Gateway, connected devices must be disconnected and then reconnected for new settings to take effect.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @SilverStingray

If you change the Firewall setting back to "Normal", does the DNS get applied to devices on the network?

- Justyn

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Accepted Solution

The default setting point to gateway. These settings are located at

Advanced > Gateway > Settings > DNS

Default is 10.0.0.1

If the LAN IP address range of gateway is changed or IP address of Gateway is change the DNS settings need to be changed to new address of gateway for DNS to work correctly. These settings can also be set to point to third party DNS servers such as Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

If changing DNS settings in Gateway, connected devices must be disconnected and then reconnected for new settings to take effect.

SilverStingray

HI J-Man,

Unfortunately this didn't work but thanks for your suggestion.   Though the result is below.

In terms of the proces for others reading i did the following:

Dropped the firewall setting to NONE.

Rebooted Router

Removed the DNS setting i had applied On my test machine and rebooted so that it was purely a clean attempt.

When both came back up the same issue resulted.

I then tried the soution below (which worked).

Thanks for your time and effort though it was appreciated.

SilverStingray

Thanks cf4.

This was the solution .. though I am a bit surprised I need to point my DNS to thrid Party servers.

My LAN Ip network is on a 192.168.y.z subnet .
I have pointed the STATIC DNS to google (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4), disconnected and rebooted EVERYTHING just to make sure and everything came up as expected.

Thanks for your time and effort, it's really appreciated.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now