CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Sagemcon F@st 5355 Manual

In setting up my Sagemcon F@st 5355 gateway I found it very frustrating that there was no Manual or instructions for this gateway on Telstra's Website so I created a manual to help others setting up there gateways.

The manual covers the following:

• Lights and Buttons
  • Login
  • Change Gateway’s Login Password
  • Telstra’s Internet User Name and Password
  • Parental Control
  • Connecting Wi-Fi devices
  • Address Reservation (Static LAN IP Address)
  • Port Forwarding
  • Backup and Restore Settings
  • Reset Gateway
  • Turn WI-FI OFF or ON
  • Bridge Mode
  • Dynamic DNS
  • Pair a DECT handset
  • Remote WEB Access
  • Wi-Fi MAC Filtering
  • DNS
  • Change Wi-Fi SSID and Password
  • Third Party VDSL Modem /Router
  • Specifications
  • Known Limitations and Bugs
  • Changing IP Address Range Bug Work Around.

The document is located here:   Sagemcom F@st 5355 unofficial Manual

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
120 REPLIES 120
DoogyHouser
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Sagemcon F@st 5355 Manual

Hi @cf4 thats an awesome document. My biggest complaint about the 5355 was the lack of a proper user manual. Great work.

I just needed to confirm the specs you have listed in the manual. My 5355 has 2x 100Mbps lan ports however your manual says these should be Gigabit ports. Has a newer version of this modem come out? I received my modem 2 weeks ago and would prefer the Gigabit port modem than what I have

Thanks mate

DoogyHouser

My mistake they are 100 Mb/s.Thanks for pointing out the mistake. I will correct it in the next update.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @cf4

Thanks for taking the time create a manual for the Sagemcon F@st 5355 gateway. This is certainly an impressive document and I am sure it will assist many people with future questions about the device.

This is exactly the type of contribution that we love to see here on Crowd Support.

Keep up the great work!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

philipj
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you very much, cf4, your "manual" proved very helpful today -- your efforts are much appreciated by me at least!

cheers

adjust

Give me a call any time you need a reference for a job writing manuals. Great work. .The disclaimer that you are not an IT person seems suspect however.....

OldBikerPete
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for the manual. Great work.
Questions about the general setup of Telstra's NBN-over-HFC service and the setting up of the connection.

1/  I have a Telstra Gateway MAX which is currently operating on Telstra's own HFC network. If I were to enter all the correct login IP, nameserver,  details stored in the NBN gateway, would it log in to the NBN service or is login restricted to a list of (say) MAC addresses.

2/  Does the NBN gateway act as an 'Analog Attached Adapter' (ATA) and is the 'phone service delivered using VOIP protocol and can I disble the ATA in the gateway and use my own VOIP system to attach to Testra's (assumed)VOIP service?

I didn't see any information about 'phone configuration in your manual and I haven't got NBN installed yet - trying to get ahead of the game.

Thank again for the manual.

Peter.

@OldBikerPete

There is no information about phone configuration in manual because there are no voip settings to configure it is automatically configured over the connection..For voice service you need to use a Telstra Gateway. You can't use a third party ATA as Telstra does not release its SIP settings.

Any router can be used for Telstra NBN HFC service including Telstra Gateway Max. The Telstra connection does not rely on the MAC address of the gateway, Telstra NBN connection do not require a user name or password. 

If Gateway Max is C6300 model see https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/gateway-Max/td-p/672031 for how to set it up.

OldBikerPete

OK, I guess I'll have to use a net sniffer and find those settings for myself!

Palmergaz

Hey there
Does anyone have experience with theF@st 5355 modem in different supplier (matecommunicate)?
I'm told my nbn line is activated but nada connectivity.

Not sure what if any info, other than logins and checking pppoe is selected, is necessary?

Thx
OldBikerPete

Is yours a Hybrid Cable/Fibre (HFC) connection? That modem delivered to me is for that type of NBN transport. If you have a coaxial cable feeding into your house for internet then that is HFC and the modem should work.

Peter

@Palmergaz

The F@st5355 is specificaly designed for Telstra and I am not sure wether it will work with other RSP but I would check that PPP is enabled and correct user name and password for Matecommunicate is entered under broadband.

On some F@st 5355 gateways there are also the same settings under advanced > Internet

Palmergaz

I don't know how to tell the difference. I don't have any information on it.
Is there a way to tell?
Palmergaz

That's interesting but annoying to hear.
Someone sold me this modem- they certainly omitted (.if they knew) to tell me it would only work for Telstra.

@Palmergaz

If you have a router or an ADSL modem with a WAN port they will work witth all NBN connections except FTTN connections.

If the NBN connection is FTTN (uses phone socke no NBN equipment installed in house) could use the F@st 5355 in Bridge mode with Wi-Fi turned of and connect router or ADSL modem's WAN port  to LAN port of Telstra gateway,

Configure router or the ADSL modem with WAN port with Matecomunicate log in details

wwk

Can someone please tell what the connection slot under the reset button is used for - thanks

The USB slot under the reset button is a USB 2.0 port for connecting usb flash or external hard drives. The files on the drives can then be accessed by devices connected to the gateway's LAN using DLNA or SMB

wwk

Thanks

doncarajo

Thank you for this manual. I got the modem in the mail today and I tried putting into Bridge Mode. When I select "ON" and then "Apply", all it says is "Data successfully saved." There's no reboot or anything. If I manually reset the modem, I can still access it via its web interface. Doesn't seem to be accepting "Bride Mode". Any suggestions?

Crackles68

Thanks cf4 for the sagemcon manual, however it doesnt show how to change the DNS numbers in my web interface, it just wont allow me to change the numbers, any ideas?

Cheers,

Craig

Where are you trying to change the DNS settings? The correct place to change DNS settings is

Advanced > Gateway Settings > DNS (See DNS section of manual)

The DNS settings on the Basic > Broadband settings page and on the Advanced > Internet Settings page can not be edited.

Crackles68

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 9.44.45 pm.png

It doesnt allow me to change the numbers

@Crackles68 Do you know what software version you are running on the modem? (i think @cf4 posted a pic of where it is earlier in the thread)

EDIT: NVM it may of been in another thread..It should be in Advanced > Device Info > General

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Crackles68

The software version is SG7E10001028.

I still have the original software version SGE7E1000824. Looks like the updated software has broken the ability to change DNS settings.

Hasn't broken it, it was intentional

In SG7E10001028, changing DNS has been disabled. Probably to bring the modem in line with the other models on offer. Also NAT loopback should be working, and Bridge mode should now always work correctly

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

@Yastiandrie

Wouldn't it have been better to add this functions to the other gateways rather than remove the function from this gateway. Telstra removing all the basic functions from its gateways and forcing customers to use its gateways if they want a phone service is one of the reasons I will be moving to another provider at the end of my contract in a few months time..

@cf4 Those sorts of decisions aren't made by me im afraid

Lyn21

Does the DECT handset have to be wireless c apable. Ours is Telstra 9 year old

All DECT handsets use wireless.It needs to be a DECT 2.0 handset. DECT 6.0 handset can not be paired to gateway. Corded handsets and other cordless phones will also work if base is plugged into the green RJ11 phone jack on the gateway.

Matsta

Just wondering if anyone has had an issue of this router not broadcasting TelstraAir??? Keeps saying Disabled.

i have checked with Telstra and it is all working and I can connect when near a hotspot, but our router won't transmit it?.

DoogyHouser

I noticed the same thing a week ago when my opendns stats were not showing any data. Checked my device and saw the DNS set at the local router address. Checked the router and found the DNS had been changed to the local router ip and there was no way to change it to a custom value Smiley Sad {sigh}

Curiousiam

Hi cf4, when i first set up my gateway, the services tab, then traffic monitor when clicked showed my connected device usage in detail. Now when i try to access it there are no devices showing and the usage says zero. In quick view whether i choose the today tab or any from the drop down menu nothing changes, it shows no connected devices. Is there a reason for this and what could i have changed for it to be working when i set it all up, but not working now?

I noticed the same effect on my gateway. When I first set it up traffic monitor worked but after a few days their was no information displayed. I will add this to the list of gateway faults when I next update the manual.

i@Yastiandrie Is the Services > Traffic Monitor on the gateway fixed by the latest firmware update SG7E10001028?

There's no mention of it in the update advice i have

@Curiousiam which software version is the Modem running?

If I can get an example/picture of it happening on the latest software version i can forward it through as an issue

Curiousiam

Am at work will let you know this arvo
Curiousiam

software version is SG7E10000824

artywah

So to make sure I'm reading this ocrrectly

1. You can't change the DNS settings of the F@st 5355 
  2. There's no way to set up static routes
  3. You can't change to a non-Telstra router even if it's NBN certified unless you want to give up the ability to use the phone service because Telstra don't release their SIP details
  4. You can't put the F@st 5355  into bridge mode to use a gateway that does allow DNS and static routes, as the F@st 5355 won't bridge the SIP functions and Telstra don't relase their SIP settings
  5. Telstra don't provide the option of a gateway that does provide these fairly basic funtions

OkiPala

legend!!! thanks for the manual

barbart50

Thank you for taking the time to develop this User Manual, it's something you would expect should have been supplied with the Gateway Kit.

Stephen999999

That user manual is partially out of date.  I was able to use the ip and yes my default password is admin.  But I do not have a user setting tab.  In fact I don't have any tabs, just a range of icons.  None of them are for user settings.  So how do I change the deafult admin password?

Stephen999999

Ok so the correct login address is
http://10.0.0.138/0.1/gui/#/simple

Now I can see the user settings tab.

the first time I logged in I couldn't see it. Just in case anyone else has the same problem
rftex

Thanks so much for this manual. Telstra is so good they charge premium prices and rely on the goodwill of their customers for support.

janestod

Thanks so much for the manual.

Am I correct in understanding that there is no way I can use a third party VoIP service using this modem Smiley Sad

Am I able to replace this modem for my Telstra NBN service with one that supports a third party ATA?

If not, I shall finally be terminating my service with Telstra.

You cannot use a third party VOIP service with this modem but you can connect a VOIP ATA  or handset that supports a third party VOIP service. VOIP apps supporting third part VOIP services can also be installed on devices connected to this modem.

The modem can be replaced with one that supports a third party VOIP service, but if you wish to continue using Telstra voice service will need to connect WAN port on Telstra Modem to LAN port of replacement modem and use this modem as a ATA..

Alex36

Hello CF4, well done thats a Fantastic Document you created this helped me so much.

I was looking for something like this to allow me to disable DECT and Wireless remotely.

There are now approximately 5-8% of humans who are whats called EHS and can't be around RF/EMF

I used this PDF to help someone who had a Telstra Sagecom F@ST 5355 and disabled all Wireless Comms.

Cheers Alex

janestod

Thanks so much for the reply.

i understand I can't use Telstra VoIP with this modem in bridge mode. I don't want to use Telstra VoIP as it is expensive on my plan.

i have a Netgear ATA that I have used up until now for a third party VoIP service.

i can successfully use my Apple Airport wireless router with the F@st 5355 in bridge mode, however whenever I try to add the ATA by connecting to a port on either the F@st 5355 OR the Airport I lose my internet connection. The online light is no longer lit and the link light alternates between light blue and a darker blue.

VoIP support queried the SIP ALG settings on the modem. Is this information available?

thanks

If the F@st5355 is in Bridge mode only one device can be connected to the gateway as there is only one external IP address. So the ATA should be connected to the Apple Airport and not to the F@st5355.

I don't understand why you would lose the internet connection with ATA connected to Apple Airport. I use a My Netfone ATA connected to my F@st5355 gateway working in normal mode (Not Bridge) with no problems. The only time the ATA would not work is when the firewall on the F@st5355 was set to High or Custom. The internet still worked. I have also used ATA with Modem in Bridge mode using another router.

I don't know the SIP ALG setting on modem but theoretically  these should have no effect with modem set to Bridge Mode.

catfish82

Telstra really chasing that paper, they want to control DNS so they can point your traffic at their CDN's to save big on bandwidth costs (without passing this onto the consumer might I add), which would be OK except for the fact that you are paying for crippled technology. I advise everyone who doesn't need VOIP to Bring Your Own Router.

Anyone feel like putting a JTAG onto the 5355, and dumping out the key that is used to encrypt the config files? Should be easy enough for anyone with a BusPirate and a multimeter, and about a day of messing around. Once you have the key we can 'backup' the config file of the router, decrypt it, modify the settings we want, and reupload it.

Timikan

I’m forced onto this device for the plan that I have joined with Telstra. I’ve loved Telstra when it comes to mobile and found them above and beyond expectations and very impressive.
It’s currently just passed midnight, two months after my place has begun, and I’m over dealing with this piece of sh@t device. Unfortunately, I’m stuck with it as I live with my elderly grandmother who still requires a landline phone. As it seems I can’t use another device, it looks like I’m stuck with patchy, unreliable internet connectivity.
I think I will be on the phone with cancellations and telling them that a contract goes both ways - I pay, they provide. Not I pay, they lock me in to a device that I locked down to the point of crippling my system. That’s a disgusting way to treat a customer.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now