CrowdSupport®
Bilbo63
Level 1: Cadet

Scanner no longer finding laptop

Answered

I have just replaced my old telstra modem with a smart modem gen. I reset all the wifi settings on my devices. I can print to my EPSON WF-4740 multifunction printer wirelessly, but am no longer able to scan direct from scanner as the scanner can no longer find my laptop. I plugged the old modem in...no worries. Is there a privacy separator feature on the gen 2 smart modem as Epson suggests exists in devices. If so how do you disable it. Cant find any info on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Scanner no longer finding laptop

The only thing that might be blocking connection is the firewall of the modem but this is unlikely to be causing the problem. Have you uninstalled the printer software and then reinstalled the software on the laptop? Also turn of band steering in the modems WIFI settings this results in separate SSIDs for the 5G and 2.4G WIFI bands.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

The only thing that might be blocking connection is the firewall of the modem but this is unlikely to be causing the problem. Have you uninstalled the printer software and then reinstalled the software on the laptop? Also turn of band steering in the modems WIFI settings this results in separate SSIDs for the 5G and 2.4G WIFI bands.

Bilbo63
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks very much for your advice on this. Band steering was indeed the issue. The Epson does not like the 5G, so i disabled it and it now finds our laptops. My old gateway had 5G as a separate SSID to connect to. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now