CrowdSupport®
Direct57
Level 1: Cadet

Set up Nighthawl D7800 for ADSL

Answered

I am trying to set up a Nighthawk D7800 for ADSL as a modem/router and it won't connect.

I gaet an error asking me to check my ethernet port on modem and router and make sure there is a cable??

I do not want to use a separate modem and router and wonder what the correct settings would be to configure this modem for Telstra business broadband.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 14: Field Agent Mkrtich
Level 14: Field Agent
Accepted Solution

Re: Set up Nighthawl D7800 for ADSL

Hi - if you are a current Telstra Business Broadband customer, are you replacing a Telstra Gateway Pro V7610 with the Nighthawk D7800? Not sure about Business customers, but with Residential customers on ADSL, it is usual to select PPPoE and enter your User Name and Password into the Internet Settings. The error you are receiving implies a setting may reflect a different service configuration - a WAN cable connection from the Nighthawk to a third party front end modem/connection device, per NBN installations that use NBN HFC or NBN FTTC. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Accepted Solution

Hi - if you are a current Telstra Business Broadband customer, are you replacing a Telstra Gateway Pro V7610 with the Nighthawk D7800? Not sure about Business customers, but with Residential customers on ADSL, it is usual to select PPPoE and enter your User Name and Password into the Internet Settings. The error you are receiving implies a setting may reflect a different service configuration - a WAN cable connection from the Nighthawk to a third party front end modem/connection device, per NBN installations that use NBN HFC or NBN FTTC. 

View solution in original post

Direct57

No -have never had a telstra modem.

I am trying to configure a new modem to replace a modem which is slow, but still working.

We have experienced a major Telstra outage for three and a half weeks, during which time I got very little support for my modem as Telstra tech support could not support it- it is a Billion.

I think that there must be a setting in the manual configuration that I do not have right, but I guess that I may have to ring Telstra and see if they can give it to me

Level 24: Supreme Being

Suggest you set up the modem as an ADSL PPPOE connection as per page 55 of the manual. Will need to enter your internet user name and password as supplied by Telstra.

Transfer mode as ADSL/ATM

DSL mode as auto

Internet IP address get dynamically.from ISP

DNS get automatically from ISP

Rout Mac address use default.

Direct57

Thanks- I will try that and let you know how I get on.

Direct57

No luck with that-  when you look at the internet status- it is like something is blocking communication from the internet as there is no IP address or DNS.

Is it possible to log into the Billion modem, write down all the Internet settings and then see if the Nighthawk can accomodate the same settings. Seems the Auto populate IP and DNS function of the Nighthawk is not activating.

Highlighted

What is the DSL status of the modem page 213 of the manual?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now