CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
customer2014
Level 2: Rookie

Setting up network accessible storage with a T-Gateway Modem (Technicolor TG797n v3)

Answered

Hi,

I just set home internet. The modem Telstra sent me is a Telstra T-Gateway, which is a Technicolor TG797n v3.

I'd like to set up a network accessible storage by plugging in a hard drive to the modem. However, when I did this, I was  unable to connect to the hard drive over wi-fi.

I'd appreciate some instructions on how to do this.

My hard drive is a Maxtor Onetouch 2.5" external hard drive. It connects via USB. The drive is formatted to FAT32 with one partition.

Thanks so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
customer2014
Accepted Solution

Re: Setting up network accessible storage with a T-Gateway Modem (Technicolor TG797n v3)

Ok well I worked it out myself in the end, so here's the solution that worked for me.

1. Log in to the router on 10.0.0.138, the first time it won't ask you for a password.

The next few steps are only if you want to change the router's login password (i.e. to log in to 10.0.0.138)

2. First click on Toolbox

3. Then click on User Management

4. Click on Change my Password and follow the prompts (note, the default username is admin and the default password is a blank space i.e. don't enter anything)

Then to set up a network accessible storage

5. Make sure your hard drive is formatted to NTFS or FAT32

6. Plug it in to the modem/router's USB port

7. Click on Toolbox ---> Content Sharing

8. Click 'Configure' in the top left corner

9. At the bottom of the screen choose your desired partition as the managed partition

10. Click confirm

Now, the router admin will create some folders on your hard drive: Media with subfolders Movies, Music and Pictures.

When it's done (this may take ~5 minutes or more depending on what's on your drive)

11. Click configure

12. "Stop" the hard drive

13. Remove the hard drive from the router, put the media you want into the media folders, and repeat steps 6-10.

On my mac, after this process, the drive appeared in the Network folder under t-gateway (but you could change the name if you wanted, again in Toolbox --> Content Sharing --> Configure.

Voila!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Setting up network accessible storage with a T-Gateway Modem (Technicolor TG797n v3)

I would say that you would have to log onto the network/modem from your wifi device Log into the modem interface (192.168.1.254)Have a read through this

Using USB to connect an external hard drive - TG587n V3

The Technicolor TG587n V3 allows you to share the content stored on your USB storage device with other users on your network or even access this shared content from the Internet.

The Technicolor TG587n V3 supports the following file systems:

• NTFS (Microsoft external flash drives)
  • FAT32 and FAT16 (USB flash drives)
  • HFS+ (Apple external flash drives)
  • Ext2 and Ext3 (Linux external hard drives)

Up to five USB storage devices can be connected via a single USB hub, and each storage device can have up to 10 partitions. If a device has more than 10, any additional partitions will be ignored.

Connecting USB Storage

All servers are enabled by default. The only thing that you need to do is to plug your USB memory stick or external hard disk in one of the USB ports of your Technicolor TG587n V3.

Important: Do not remove your USB storage device without stopping it first, otherwise might be lost.

Safely Removing USB Storage Devices

If you just unplug your USB storage device from the Technicolor Gateway you may lose or corrupt the data on board. To avoid this you must first stop your USB storage device.

1. Log into the modem interface (192.168.1.254 in a Web Broweser)
  2. On the Toolbox menu, click Content Sharing
  3. In the Navigation Bar, click Configure
  4. Click Stop
  5. Unplug your USB storage device from the Technicolor TG587n V3
The Network File Server

The Network Server allows you to share the content on your USB storage device(s) with other devices that are connected to your local network, such as computers.

These devices have read and write access to attached USB storage devices.

Configuration

The Network File Server is enabled by default and ready for use. To change the default settings, proceed as follows:

1. Log into the modem interface (192.168.1.254)
  2. On the Tools menu, click Content Sharing
  3. In the Navigation bar, click Configure
  4. Under Network File Server (Windows Networking), you can change the following settings:
    • Server Name: Enter the name that you want to use to access the Technicolor Gateway
    • Server Description: Add a short description for what kind of data is stored on the USB storage device
    • Workgroup: Enter the same workgroup as used by your computer(s)
    • Server Enabled: Select this option to enable the Network File Server
  5. Click Apply
  6. All users connected to the Technicolor Gateway can now access the data on stored your USB storage device
Accessing the shared content on Windows Computers
  1. Open Windows Explorer
  2. In the address bar, type two backslashes (\\) followed by the name that you entered in the Server Name box (default: \\Technicolor)
    If you did not enter a server name, type \\192.168.1.253
  3. Once the Explorer Window appears, the storage devices that are attached to your Technicolor Gateway are listed as folders
    • If the storage device has multiple partitions an index number will be added to the end, e.g. Disk_a1, Disk_a2
    • If multiple storage devices are inserted, the first will be listed as Disk_a1, the second Disk_b1, and so on
    • If the partition is managed, only the Media and Shared folders of the managed partitions are displayed
  4. If you plan to frequently use this folder, it will be useful to map this folder as a network drive - refer to the help section of your operating system for instructions
Accessing the shared content on Mac Computers
  1. In the Go menu, click Connect to Server
  2. When the window appears, enter smb://<server name> in the Server Address box, where <server name> is the name you assigned to your USB storage device (default: smb://Technicolor)
    If you did not provide a server name, enter smb://192.168.1.253
  3. When the window appears, select Guest and click Connect
  4. If prompted, select the partition that you want to open and click OK
  5. Your USB storage device is now mounted and is displayed on your desktop
Safely Removing USB Storage Device

If you just unplug your USB storage device from the Technicolor Gateway, you may lose or corrupt the data on board. To avoid this, you must first stop your USB storage device.

1. Log into the modem interface (192.168.1.254)
  2. On the Toolbox menu, click Content Sharing
  3. In the Navigation Bar, click Configure
  4. Click Stop
  5. Unplug your USB storage device from the Technicolor TG587n V3
If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Level 23: Superhero

Also found this additional information that may be of assistance.

When you wish to make content available over the network, you can do so by plugging a portable hard drive or USB memory stick into the modem.

Note: The storage device must be formatted with a FAT32 or Linux partition. NTFS has not been licensed by Technicolor at this time and devices using this format will not be usable.

1. Insert a suitable storage device into the USB port on the side of the modem
  2. Log into the modem interface  Image
  3. Click Toolbox in the left-hand menu
  4. Click Content Sharing
  5. Click Configure in the top-left corner
  6. Enter the following under Network File Server (Windows Networking):
    • Server Name: the name of your device on the network (default = Technicolor)
    • Server Description: Doesn't really need to be altered
    • Workgroup: Ensure this is the same as your network to ensure it is visible to media devices etc (default = WORKGROUP)
    • Server Enabled: Tick to enable/ untick to disable visibility of files via LAN access
  7. Enter the following under UPnP AV Media Server:
    • Server Enabled: Tick to enable/ untick to disable visibility of files via DLNA access
    • Rebuild Media Database: If you add/remove media files you need to click this to rebuild the database
      (Files accessible via DLNA are those stored in the 'Media' directories(music,video etc))
  8. FTP Server is disabledin the firmware as it is not working correctly. Additionally, it prevents the use of a dedicated FTP Server using default port settings
    • This feature should not be used
  9. Place a tick beside the storage device uner Managed partition if you require DLNA or FTP access otherwise it will simply be treated as simple file share and media/share directories will not be accessible directly
If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
customer2014

Awesome answer and thanks for your response, however I neglected to mention I'm using a mac (MacBook running OSX 10.9.2 i.e. Mavericks).

Also I managed to log in to the router but the address was 10.0.0.138 which is different to what you mentioned in your message above (I tried that earlier but it didn't work).

Thanks so much!

customer2014
Accepted Solution

Ok well I worked it out myself in the end, so here's the solution that worked for me.

1. Log in to the router on 10.0.0.138, the first time it won't ask you for a password.

The next few steps are only if you want to change the router's login password (i.e. to log in to 10.0.0.138)

2. First click on Toolbox

3. Then click on User Management

4. Click on Change my Password and follow the prompts (note, the default username is admin and the default password is a blank space i.e. don't enter anything)

Then to set up a network accessible storage

5. Make sure your hard drive is formatted to NTFS or FAT32

6. Plug it in to the modem/router's USB port

7. Click on Toolbox ---> Content Sharing

8. Click 'Configure' in the top left corner

9. At the bottom of the screen choose your desired partition as the managed partition

10. Click confirm

Now, the router admin will create some folders on your hard drive: Media with subfolders Movies, Music and Pictures.

When it's done (this may take ~5 minutes or more depending on what's on your drive)

11. Click configure

12. "Stop" the hard drive

13. Remove the hard drive from the router, put the media you want into the media folders, and repeat steps 6-10.

On my mac, after this process, the drive appeared in the Network folder under t-gateway (but you could change the name if you wanted, again in Toolbox --> Content Sharing --> Configure.

Voila!

AlexDexter
Level 1: Cadet

May I ask you question?
I have my USB device in my network but its asking me about password , NETGEAR password.
I don't know what is this exactelly and where can I find this password.
Sorry if my question's sounds silly.

Thank you for your help.

Bray

Does
HFS+ (Apple external flash drives) formatted drives actually work because my 3tb HDD shows "wrong format"
viewer
Level 8: Inspector

Following on from here....

What can the usb slot be used for exactly? Does anyone have a link to some info?

From reading I did here, and being not as tech savvy, could I possibly put music and movies onto a usb drive, connect it to that port, and my other wifi devices would "see it"

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Viewer,

That's exactly what it's used for. If you follow these instructions (You'll need to 'Map' the drive to see it) You'll be good to go. At this stage the USB is only for File Sharing.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware-KB/Share-a-USB-storage-device-and-map-a-networ...

Hope this helps :-)

Nick

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

wenyeepick

Hi I am trying to link my Seagate hard drive to my T-Gateway Modem (Technicolor TG797n v3). I have read the instructions on this Crowdsupport site.I have logged onto 10.0.0.138. I cant find the toolbox to configure my hard drive. I have just spent over an hour on the phone to Telstra, but unless I pay them they won't help me.

This is probably a silly question but how do I get to " Toolbar".

I have at the top of the page Home Broadband Wifi Content Sharing etc. Below this there is a picture of my modem. I have plugged the hard drive into the side USB slot and the hard drive does show on the picture of my modem under the USB pictures. Can some one please help me configure the hard drive!!

When I configure the Hard Drive does that mean that I can back up all my documents, music and pictures to it? If I can, how do I do this? Where do I do this will it be through 10.0.0.138 or my computer or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

MHM2
Level 4: Private Eye

Firmware changes ? I've got a 797n v3 and my menus appear to not to match this procedure. In particular I do not see "configure". The user supposedly has admin privileges. As well, the list of devices does not seen to recognise ext2 filesystems. I am using 8 and 32 GB flash drives. I don't have a "toolbox" menu, I have an "advanced" tile.
wenyeepick

Try this link from Telstra Nick http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardw​are-KB/Share-a-USB-storage-device-and-map-a-netwo...

The link is very easy to use and its works.. I used it and I have managed to link my External Hard drive. I have also transferred files to it from my documents. I am going to try and link my daughters Lap top to it as well so that she can use it to back up her files.

Hope that this helps.

wenyeepick

Thanks for this information. I used it to link my hard drive to my computer. I am also going to try and link my daughters laptop to it as well. I am not sure if I need to Map my Hard drive to my daughters Laptop as well?

If you have any information on linking to another computer/laptop can you please let me know.

Thanks again

Wenyeepick

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi wenyeepick, 

Yes, you'll have to 'map the network drive' on your daughters computer as well, same way you did you your computer.

Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Edgar128

HI,

I have a TG797n modem router and am trying to connect a hard drive on to the USB port for networt access but could not find the configure button under the content sharing even in advanced view. Help please.

Edgar

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now