CrowdSupport®
Badcam
Level 1: Cadet

Setting up the Gateway Max as a pass-through

Answered

Afternoon, 

I currently have the Telstra Gateway Max cable modem router and I would like to install an aftermarket router to handle all the routing and IP assigning for my network.

Before I purchase the router I would like to confirm that it is possible to set up the gateway max as a simple pass through or (Bridge Mode) I have had a look and I can’t seem to find the setting.

Also would like to confirm that it is possible to perform a hard re-set to get it out of bridge mode if needed.

Any information would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Setting up the Gateway Max as a pass-through

Hi Badcam, 

This can be done on the Gateway Max.  To do so you will need to disable the NAT and WiFi  and then restart the Gateway Max.

Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
gibbsy81
Level 5: Eagle Eye

What exactly would the tasks be that the Gateway Max would be proforming eg adsl interface i beleve there is a bridge mode.

Badcam

Hey gibbsy81

I would like it to pass over all the routing, port fwding and firewall tasks to another unit. I have access to a Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise gateway router, with this installed i will be able to manage my entire network from one controller. 

So all i need the Gateway Max to do is simply hold account info and pass everything onto the Ubiquiti. 

Thoughts?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Badcam, 

This can be done on the Gateway Max.  To do so you will need to disable the NAT and WiFi  and then restart the Gateway Max.

Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

macmine1

Hi Ben,

I have the same question as Badcam, but in my case, I already have an ASUS router that I would like to link up to my Telstra Gateway Max (about a year old and Telstra Air capable).

However, although under 'WAN setup'- 'Nat Mode'- when I enable Nat disabled (bridge mode), my ASUS just fails to detect the Internet coming through.

I've tried connecting from WAN to LAN, LAN to LAN, LAN to WAN, reset the ASUS and all, yet it doesn't work. Short of resetting the gateway max, what am I missing?

Thank you for your assistance.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Macmine1 

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you.  As this team only work Monday to Friday, the earliest you can expect to hear from them is Monday. 

Kind Regards 

fish22

Hi,

I am having issues with the same thing. I have recently bought an Asus RT-AC88U as the wifi on the Gateway Max for cable wasnt sufficient for my house, but everytime I try to turn off the NAT and WiFi on the TGM, the internet drops out half an hour later. 

Any Suggestions? Is this an issue with the TGM or with the Asus router?

Stefan1

I was also about to purchase the same ASUS router with my gateway max, at least until I read your post.  I would be very grateful if you could tell me whether you are able to resolve your issue.

Stefan1

Fish22,

Are you still experiencing problems with the asus router and the gateway max?

edi_bylife

I just got a new Gateway Max (C6300BD). I want to setup it as bridge mode. Does the Telstra Air function still available?

I connected Netgear r7000 wifi router on the gateway max modem.

mike28
Level 2: Rookie

fish22 i have the same router as you.
How did you set it up so the modem will send the interent to the router ? im having trouble.
Seems bridge mode on the gateway max isnt working.

XxBlazexX

Hi, did you find a resolution to this one? I'm having the same problem when i put the C6300 in Bridged mode and connect my Netgear R8000 router. It fails to connect to the internet because it detects that the C6300 is still being used as a router. 

I have turned off the wifi and broacast SSID in the C6300 before turning it to Bridged mode. I think that it is not in proper 'Bridged" mode. 

Has anyone found a resolution to this?

carlo_2014

Hi

once i have disabled the NAT and WiFi  and restarted the Gateway Max, I am no longer able to access the Gateway (http://192.168.0.1).

is there something else i need to do?

regards

Carlo

Sieger

Try 192.168.0.100. The router chnages the address after disabling NAT.

Sieger

RWalsh

In bride mode the modem can be access through 192.168.100.1

Highlighted
user28112016
Level 2: Rookie

Hi. Hopefully someone from Telstra or with the approporiate tech knowledge will see this and reply becasue I have grown infuriated trying to get an answer form Telstra over the phone or online chat with this...

I have a telstra Cable Gateway Max (GWM). The area I am in has no free phone lines due to a paired gain system and so it is the ONLY service I can get unless telstra run another phone line out which they will not. I cannot even uise Optus cable for some reason, I am stuck with Telstra cable or no internet.

I have setup a business and I am hosting backups streamed to my server over FTP (at least i want to). I have purchased a new ASUS AC88U router thinking this would work because enabling bridge will disable NAT on the GWM ...not really true.

The problem I am facing is that disabling NAT by selecting "NAT - Bridged mode" in the GWM is still technically using NAT becasue it does not pass the external ip through to the router. The router instead will connects to the GWM on a private IP address (192.168.100.x). Essentially, this is a double NAT and so not only will it not allow FTP but I cant even use a dynamic DNS server.

I need this working and I need a solution now. Telstra will not provide the infrustructure for me to have any option for internet access and wireless is too expensive for the amount of data that would be going over the connection. Even if I could simply get a static IP address on telstra this would solve my problem. Optus will provide a static IP service on cable, but thats no good to me cos I am stuck with telstra and they say you cant have a static on cable.

Something needs to give here. If Telstra can provide me with no other choice but telstra cable and this rubbish modem that was once a perfectly working netgear modem before Telstra thought "hey we can write router firmware", then they HAVE to provide me with a way of using the internet like everyone else in the world is able too. simply having access to normal web traffic is not acceptable. I need a static IP or DynDNS or a solution to the "Directory index cannot be listed" problem with FTP servers on telstra cable service. 

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE!?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Each service receives only two or three public IPs. If you do not disable the Wi-Fi network before disabling NAT, any devices connected via Wi-Fi will automatically be assigned those two IPs. 

Disable the Wi-Fi networks on your modem and then, once the lease clears, your router should be assigned a public IP instead of an internal one.

- Shelly

Brendan75
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@user28112016

Have you solved your issue? I have run a test on the same modem, and 3 public IP's can be obtained and these are allocated to either wired or wireless, whatever connects first, if WiFi is left enabled on the Telstra device.
Disable WiFi and NAT, the public IP Address will then be allocated to the first connected LAN ports. Just connect one LAN port to your third party router and you should be ok. That worked for me.

If you can't get the Gateway Max to work, maybe see if you can get one of the CG3100D-2BPAU modem's.  This is Telstra's previous gateway, and works extremely well when bridged.  If you only need it as a modem bridged to another router, this will give you the same speeds as you will not be requiring the Wireless features of the MAX

CeeTee
Level 4: Private Eye

Yep, disable WiFi and Enable Bridge mode, then you should get a public IP on whatever port you connect to your router.

Note: It's probably a good idea to activate the Gateway-Max before doing this.

I have a Cisco-800 sitting behind a Gateway-Max, and it works fine. The Cisco provides all the routing, firewall, WiFi services for the LAN, and the Gateway-Max just does the job of providing the Cisco with a Cable-Modem. This allows us to run a Cisco VPN from the remote Home-Office to our main Office.

@user28112016

If it's for business use, make sure you've got a business account (and any business-grade supplied modem they'll provide).

Without the specifics, I'd also suggest that not hosting back-ups at your (home?) location might be the way forward. Consider setting them with up Amazon or another online storage provider - yes you'll have to effectively become a reseller, but connectivity issues at your premises go away, you have zero kit costs/concerns.

Just my thoughts.

Blackjackmagic

I just got the nbn and received Telstras Sagemcom 5355. I still have the Telstra cable modem, can I use that instead of the 5355 contacted to the NBN router ? I don't want to connect a phone ever but I have security cameras that I need to log into which has been set up with port forwarding via the Telstra Max cable modem. Thus is why I want to keep this modem plus I don't even know how to log into the 5355 let alone play with the settings. Don't even know the ip login , unlike 182.168.0.1
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Blackjackmagic 

It would depend if your current cable modem has a WAN point. If it does you should be fine. 

The Telstra modem access details are printed on the base of the modem. 

To bridge the Sagemcom 5355 modem you will need to head into the Advanced section and Local Network.

- AlistairQWA

Scotjen

Hi, I have spend a few days trying to research this but cant find a solution (yet).

I have a telstra FAST5355-A running software SG7E10001126, and have recently purchases a Draytek 2860.  I would like to se it up as follows

NBN - FAST5355 - Draytek.

I also have static IP which i would like to configure

I have seen there are options to 'bridge' the FAST5355, which for all in tendered purpose will work, however I have a land line on the FAST5355 which needs to keep running as the bridge disables all points.

In the prior discussion it spoke about a 'more detailed' solution to resolve this.  Please could someone share what that is as I am really keen to use the Draytek to it fullest whilst keeping a home hone working Smiley Happy

Hope that make sense

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

@Scotjen You could try setting it up the other way around (AFAIK Drayteks 2860's are VDSL capable) and using the sagemcom as a VOIP adapter

You can find general instructions here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Billion-BIPAC-Modem/m-p/713128/highlight/true...

Another, less then ideal, method of using the sagemcom at the front would involve disabling DHCP on it

If you're referring to a static IP you're paying Telstra for, that is configured on Telstra's side and doesn't require you to configure it in your modem/router

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Scotjen

Thanks @Yastiandrie, i spent overnight throwing a few options.

After all that It was actually simple.

DSL to WAN Draytek, LAN draytek to WAN FAST5355.

Your right the static IP comes via Telstra end, Phone, internet, static IP working fantastic.  

Thanks for responding.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now