CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
AussieAuchard
Level 2: Rookie

Setup CD for netgear cg3100

Answered

Howdy All,

I am looking for a copy of the set up disc for the Netgear CG3100 cable modem. The technician who came out and did the install forgot to leave the disc here.  I want to secure the system with a different password, but am unable to do so without a setup disc. I have tried the BigPond support pages, their download for the setup disc doesn't have the netgear cg3100 modem on it.

Can any one point me in the right direction please?

I also read that the USB port has been disabled, pity that. I was hoping to use it to set up a shared drive for the family's documents, pictures and music. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy a small server now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Setup CD for netgear cg3100

Hi AussieAuchard,

I have provided a link to the Cable CD you are referring to: BigPond Cable.zip

Based on your feedback we have confirmed that the above CD is compatible for your Cable CG3100 modem. We have updated our support pages accordingly.

If you need further assistance with your password, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Thanks

CrowdSurfer

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AussieAuchard,

You should be able to configure everything to do with the modem via the router admin site which you can access via the following step:

• The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password.
    • The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”
    From this site you should be able to change the WiFi passcode and many other settings to do with the device.

Unfortunately I don't know too much about the disabled USB port though, it may be activated in a later firmware upgrade but thats definately a bit odd as the equivalent new ADSL modem's USB ports were active from the get go.. if it was in regards to the CrowdSupport post i've just found, that was for a printer network which is not supported, however a standard shared drive set up should not have a problem as far as I'm aware, so i reckon try setting it up and see how you go Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
AussieAuchard

Sure, that only gets you into the modem side of the box. I need to reset the BigPond password, which can only be done with the setup disc. Hence the request for help with the Setup CD.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

For a Bigpond password resets you can either call Bigpond Tech Support on 133 933 or navigate to this web page:

https://myacct.bigpond.com/forgottenPassword;jsessionid=062F82644233BE6EE831196FDB636462?execution=e...

where you can reset the password yourself if you have the correct verification details on hand.

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
ljelleff
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have the same Modem and you can easily change the passwod.

Just log in to the modem, go to the Wireless Settings and scroll down to the bottom.

There is where its changed, its called Pre-Shared Key.

AussieAuchard

ljelleff,

Did the technician leave a copy of the install disk with you when he finished?

Can I get a copy?

Let me know and I'll send details and $ to cover blank disk and postage.

AussieAuchard

Yep,

Once again you are correct in what you say... just haven't answered my question.

Stop anwsering with what you think I want to hear, read the question and then answer it. Where can I get a copy of the setup cd to suit the Netgear CG3100?

The only way to change the password for the Telstra account, not the admin password for the modem or the wireless security key, is with the setup disc.

It shouldn't be this hard.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey AussieAuchard,

You don't require the CD to reset your BigPond password as JCKH mentioned.

You will just need to contact BigPond Technical Support on 133933 anytime to reset your password.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi AussieAuchard,

I have provided a link to the Cable CD you are referring to: BigPond Cable.zip

Based on your feedback we have confirmed that the above CD is compatible for your Cable CG3100 modem. We have updated our support pages accordingly.

If you need further assistance with your password, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Thanks

CrowdSurfer

View solution in original post

AussieAuchard

Zip file still has the same properties as the one I downloaded several weeks ago. This file was updated how? No drivers for Netgear CG3100....

TZB
Level 1: Cadet

This exchange seems to have petered out before I was similarly suplied a few weeks ago with a CG3100 and no installation CD. Two requests by phone for a CD (second time emphasizing need to ensure the CD covered the CG3100) both resulted in supply of an irrelevant CD not covering the CG3100. (It seems likely that the technician who connected the new CG3100 to existing cable knew that the Installation CD was not relevant.)

Surely the solution is to provide a supplementary CD with just the user manual for the CG3100. In addition - or at least as an alternative - a pdf file with a copy should be made available as an UNMETERED download. It is ludicrous that the only information I can find, even for such a ridiculously simple point as the meaning of the various indicator lights, is on-line at an Optus web site. (The Optus version is clearly slightly different from the Telstra one anyway, e.g. the USB port.)

If one contacts Netgear support the answer is that they do not provide support and to advise that one must contact Telstra because the CG3100  is specific to Telstra (and presumably to Optus in a different setup.) There is a product spec. on the Netgear web site but no user manual.

The question is surely not why does a user want a  manual but why isn't one readily available. I spent hours finding out that the only way certain devices could be used within my LAN was to install another router between them and the CG3100 because of DNSW assignment problems. (I see there's another thread on this issue as well.)

Can we have a CD and/or a pdf please.

TZB

Sorry - Typo - should be "DNS" not "DNSW". Also meant to add "why should I have to install more hardware and create an illogical topology to overcome what looks like a Telstra-created problem"
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello TZB,

You can access and download PDF version of the manual via CG3100 User Manual.

Please also refer to FAQ: Setting up your Cable Home Network Gateway in Bridge mode if you'd like to use your own wireless router other than the in-built router on the CG3100 modem.

As for installation CD, this is accessable via FAQ: Installing the Cable Home Network Gateway. Go to: Setting up your Cable connection for instructions on how to install cable service manually.

Was there any reason why you require the installation CD TZB? We don't send them out with your self-install kit as it's not required. Your cable modem when plugged to your computer will simply install the relevant drivers for the device to work. See above links for further assistance. Thank you.

TZB

Joe,

Thanks for your help. I have downloaded the User Manual. I might download the "Install CD" another time when I'm further away from my monthly limit - or more likely when  I'm  in my London flat where BT has a more enlightened approach. (Downloads like hese really ought to be in the not-counted zone.)

The original reason for looking for a user manual was a very simple one of wanting to know the explanation of different colours on the port activity  lights (very helpful during set-up and transition from some 100 Mbps components to 1000 Mbps units.) I finally managed to get this from the Optus web site - bit ridiculous! However, the issue becam a great deal more serious when I found I could not get a Linksys adapter to obtain an IP address from the CG3100. With technical help from the adapter supplier it finally emerged that the only solution was to insert a router in bridge mode between the CG3100 and the Linksys component. All this had to be worked out with no access to the CG3100 manual at least at my end. (This is all working OK.)

I don't want or need to put the CG3100 in bridge mode. (In fact I don't want to have an otherwise redundant additional router in my network just to get an IP address for another component. Makes the network more complex,  one more thing to fail and I hate the illogicality of it.)

I can't see why Telstra wouldn't make the User Manual available as a matter of course, even if, to avoid distributing to thousands for whom it means nothing, it's only on request. I'm astonished that ABSOLUTELY NO DOCUMENTATION WAS PROVIDED - not even something advising the uninitiated that often apparent probelms can be fixed by simply turning the modem off and back on - and even more astonished that I was  twice sent an irrelevant CD when I did request it.

Anyway, I've finally got the user manual so many thanks.

TZB

Should have made it clear that it is the ADDITIONAL router that has to be in bridge mode.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AussieAuchard

There's some useful info on enabling media server on the Netgear CG3100D cable modem on this link: http://www.extreame.net.au/topic/4544-enable-media-server-netgear-cg3100d-2bpaus/

Hope this helps

Faaiz

Klaus-Trace

Re: Setup CD for netgear cg3100D-2BPAUS

Hi, where can I get a download of the set up CD for the netgear cg3100D-2BPAUS. \

The CD seems to freeze during installation right at the stage of entering our email address and password. We can't go any further. Smiley Mad

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Klaus-Trace, 

You can get find the download links on the following page:

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/cable-installation-download

- Ben D

jp299

unfortunately Safari is not supported. Any suggestions??

Support Team
Support Team

If you're changing over from an existing cable service with a new modem you can use the link at https://register.bigpond.com/cable.do, or our Tech Support teams on 133 933 can also assist further.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now