MadAl
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Fixed Wireless modem give bad wireless in house

We put Fixed Wireless in a couple of weeks ago and since then we cant get good in house wireless signal at the other end of the house. Can i put a different router in or do I have to stay with the TELSTRA crap box? The Smart router seems to have a poor reputation

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Smart Fixed Wireless modem give bad wireless in house

Id try turning off band steering on the modem and see if that makes a difference. You may also want to consider mesh wifi extenders to provide better coverage for your house. Telstra sell there own wireless mesh devices or your can purchase a third party one. Does your land line phone connect to the Telstra modem or the existing telephone wall socket? If it connects to the Telstra modem and you want to continue to use your landline then Telstra modem will need to be connected in some form. We can elaborate on the for you. Otherwise if your landline is connected to the existing telephone wall socket, you can replace the Telstra modem with a third party router.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

MadAl

Hi we don't have a land line.. we have to use Fixed wireless now. I have heard that the Smart modem / routers dont play well with extenders.
I have tried a Nettcom extender and it doesn't work well with Smart but at my work and clients they are fine.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Do you have the Arcadyan Gen 2 smart modem LH1000? There is an update for this modem currently being tested that might fix tthe problem of connecting to a net com extender.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@MadAl,

Did you follow the suggestions from 343GuiltySpark and disable the band-steering option?  You can find this by accessing the modem interface (192.168.0.1) and going into Wi-Fi from the menu at the top.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MadAl

Hi guys, I am home again and have just tried turning the band steering off. My son is the one getting poor wifi reception. The TP Link extender says it has found good signal and it is right outside his door. I'll see if this works.

MadAl

Should i have the 2.4 and 5 channels set to auto or set to a certain number?

Al
MadAl

Yes it is . Ill wait for the roll out

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more