Axel-Henry
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem Gen 2 DECT

Wondering of this is a known problem, Gen-2 modem with DECT and 503 handset. Worked fine for maybe a month then the handset just displays searching. The annoying part is unless you look at the screen you don't know it is offline, so anyone calling just rings out. Tried everything logical - reset, pair etc. - only solution is reset the handset, remove the batteries, power cycle the modem (which takes about 10 minutes to settle down) then start from scratch. Same thing 1 week, 2 weeks later.  In the tech bin as a bad buy, back to hardwired DECT phone.

I will add the soft option for restarting the modem (Advanced/Modem/Restart) turns it off, but it won't "restart" - simply hangs. Power cycle is only thing that works.

No problems with the NBN connection or WiFi, all quite good.

Average Jo, curious & works with technology but no claim to wizard skill.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 DECT

You are not the only one with this problem. There are quite a few posts with the same problem. No one has come up with a solution. One thing you could try when reconnecting phone is to unregistered the phone in the modem’s phone settings before registering handset. This will save having to restart modem each time phone drops out.

Axel-Henry

Phew.

I reckon I tried deregistering at some point, I tried everything at one time or another. 

One observation I reckon may not be coincidental is I gave the handset a friendly name through the phone menu, and it is about that time the problems started. The friendly name was picked up in the modem DECT status screen so it was recognised.

I named it back to the generic HANDSET 1 along with reset, restart and so on...but it never came good.

Pleased I am not alone.

Thanks.

Mappy
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi Axel-Henry

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my DJA0231Tl Technicolor Smart Modem Gen2 and the DECT T-Voice 503 handsets as you are describing here.

I've had the modem now for eight month's. Initially it worked fine for a few months without any hassles. The DECT features all worked fine as expected. However recently the problem you are describing began to occur sort of intermittently not at any fixed elapsed time period.
Like you say you are unaware the phone is no longer working over the DECT channel until someone contacts you by mobile asking why your home phone is down. A modem reset (reboot) either by disconnecting and reconnecting power or through the reset option via the modems GUI graphical user interface restores the service until next time.
I've tried a factory reset via the reset button on the modem. It restores the service as well but in the process you loose all the user configuration information that you may have setup for your particular needs. I'm not aware if there is a way to save the configuration before doing a factory reset. My biggest hassle with a manual factory reset was loosing all my contacts stored in the modem. I've since discovered that if you do a factory reset via the modems GUI there is an option to tick a check box there, that allows you to at least save your contacts. I've also noted that the modem firmware has had two updates from when I first got the modem. The current firmware version is 18.1c 0347-950-RC. I suspect the problem is most likely a software related bug as a number of users are reporting the same problem. Unfortunately Telstra tightly control the way updates are installed, there is now way for a user to reinstall or roll back to a previous software version to try and troubleshoot the problem.
Once the problem occurs there is no way to unregister the handsets as the the DECT communication channel is down. Not sure what goes down whether it is data channel synchronisation or possibly the DECT 1880-1900 Mhz radio transmissiom channel may go off air.
Tried unregistering the handsets (all 3 of them) with the system working before doing a factory reset then re-registering the handsets made no difference.
So far have not found anyone within the Telstra call centre staff switched on enough to help out.
Hope more users start bothering them to get around to generate a fix for this failure.

Mappy

There is a firmware update due to be released this week. I don't know if it fixed the DECT problem.

Mappy

Hi cf4

I'm pleased to hear a software update is about to be rolled out just hope this problem is on the list of fixes.

Thanks for this info, fingers crossed it solves my problem.

Mappy

Mickos12

Likewise I am having the same issues over the last couple of weeks (DJA0231TLS Technicolor Smart Modem Gen2 and DECT T-Voice 503 handset). My handset comes up with 'searching' and is unusable until you reset the modem, at which point it reconnects automatically. As you noted, the unregister function does not work. The only solution I have found is restarting the modem.

pkloops

Yes I have the same problem, my DECT phones are useless with this modem firmware... very disappointing... TELSTRA & NBNCo,  you really test your firmware before you roll it out.... Not good enough. This is Ombudsman material for sure !

Mappy

I agree with your assessment that it is very frustrating that firmware gets released without making sure it is bug free.
Telstra tightly control their release of software updates so the user has no control to prevent updates or rollback to older versions.
This makes it difficult or near impossible for users to troubleshoot upgrade introduced software bugs.
However I don't believe NBNco can also be blamed for this problem at least not in my installation using the HFC system and the Arris CM8200 modem.
I have no issues with with cable downstream and upstream data streams when the DECT 503 handsets loose data synch. Internet works fine WiFi is good and analog ATA phone port keeps working. My gut feel is that the problem resides in the Tecnicolor DJA0231 gateway dealing with the DECT side of things.

Hope a fix is in the offing sooner rather than later.

Mappy

Does your modem have the latest firmware (18.1.c.0384-950-RB)?

Mappy

Hi Cf4

Interesting, no it does not. It is still has FW 18.1c.047-950-RC installed.

Dose this FW update fix the DECT phone dropout problem?

Mappy

I am not 100% sure that it does contain a fix but was one of the fixes that was targeted to be fixed. The firmware was released about a week ago but will take a few weeks for all modems to be updated.

Mappy

Thanks for this info.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has had this problem and now has FW (18.1.c.0384-950-RB) installed to find out if it has solved this issue.

Hope I'm not last on the list to get this update.

mappy

Tom19
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am still very frustrated with this problem, Having to check the handset all the time to see if it still has a connection.

Is it possible to force a firmware upgrade, as I am still operating on 034-950-RC.

Is anyone with the upgrade still having the DECtT problem???

Axel-Henry

Thanks, mine is showing 18.1.c.0347-950-RC so I will watch with interest for an update.

jomf
Level 1: Cadet

Nop I have this firmware and the problem is still there.

I have been chasing this problem through technical support for the last week.  I have just found these discussions.  The latest advice today was to get the 503 checked at a telstra shop.  My 503 was working perfectly on gen1 modem and played up as soon as gen2 was installed!  But they still say it maybe the phone! 

The worse part of this exercise is that each time you call up for support you get a different 'consultant'  and spend the next hour repeating everything you have said in all  the previous call backs.  The latest guy (OS call centre with genuine long distance echo) guaranteed he will have the fix.  Seems strange that the techs dont realise that these discussions are on going ...

Cheers

Mappy

hi jomf

Well that is disappointing news. I've not received the latest 18.1.c.0384-950-RB firmware update as yet and was hoping the problem would be fixed. How to be able to get this elevated to a higher level is proving to be impossible.
Like you I have gone through calls to some international call centers where the operators seem to read from a script and DECT phones don't seem to be included. I was also told to take the T503 phone to a Telstra shop to have it checked out. I could possibly believe that one phone could be bad, but I have three T503's all doing the same thing at the same time. As this is an intermittent and randomly occurring fault the chance of it happening whilst in a Telstra shop are very slim. The thing is that originally with the older Firmware version everything worked fine for weeks. It is only in the last eight weeks or so the problem started. When you look at the crowd support site as well as the whirlpool site, there are many users with this problem. I asked the call center person to look at the crowd support site to see what is going on. I was taken aback when he informed me he doesn't have access to that site. I've put in a written complain six weeks ago but that is not getting any better response. So much for customer service. Looks like we have been sold a lemon by Telstra if they can't maintain their product.

Cheers Mate

Axel-Henry

Since there seems no end in sight I have lodged a Telstra online complaint, don't hold much hope for action but at lest I have vented my spleen. Seems very poor to advertise a feature that just doesn't work.

Axel-Henry

Mine updated to 8.1.c.0384-950-RB Tuesday night, started the handset and registered fine, less than 24 hours and it dropped out - "searching". I have raised a complaint so see where that goes.

Mappy

Hi Axel-Henry

I've not received the 18.1.c.0384-950-RB update as yet. I had hoped that a fix for the DECT dropout issues would have been included. Very disappointing that some users have reported back that this is not so.
It would be nice if when Telstra release an FW update that they would provide some information on what fixes or changes were included. Instead you are left in the dark not knowing if your complaint is being looked at or at the very least being given a reason why it can't be addressed.
From what I've learned it seems that the gateway uses a forked version of the open source (Openwrt FW) adapted, maintained and branded by Telstra for their own particular needs. And as such there is no way for end users to gain access to monitor what is going on in the gateway. For security reasons access is encrypted and password protected. I can understand the need for this as you wouldn't want unauthorised access causing problems for Telstra. But it would be nice if they could keep disgruntled end users informed on what is include in each update release. Very frustrating that when you put in a complaint you only ever get feedback that it is being looked at or that it is being sent to a higher level. The only feedback you ever get is from well meaning crowd support members, but where they get their info from or how accurate it is is unknown to me.
If someone in the Telstra gateway technical support team reads this how about giving us end users with complaints a bit of official informed feedback.

Mappy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now