CrowdSupport®
DanFenton
Level 4: Private Eye

Smart Modem Gen 2 DHCP/Bridge

Answered

Hi,

I just received the Smart Modem Gen 2 and the Cable "Adapter" - funny way of spelling Modem Smiley Tongue.  Yes, I am still on cable, not eager to switch to NBN HFC when I am already getting 118Mbps.  

I am currently using the old Gateway Max in bridge mode.  After problems with Telstra/Netgear cable modems over many years I preferred to use my own better quality equipment for the routing.  I found the Telstra modem/routers didn't last long being worked with multiple devices. I also found a router that has the parental controls that match what I needed.

I currently have 9 devices connected via ethernet (PCs, printers, NAS, WiFi access points etc), 6 via 5GHz WiFi and another 6 via 2.4GHz WiFi.

Anyways, I read that the Smart Modem won't switch to 4G backup when in bridge mode.  Not being on NBN and no VoIP, I may as well just plug the new cable modem in to my Linksys router.

To try to get the benefit of 4G backup, I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Set the IP address of the Smart Modem to an address in my existing network range.

2. Turning off DHCP Server on the Smart Modem

3. Plugging the Cable "Adapter" into the WAN port on the Smart Modem

4. Plugging the Smart Modem into a LAN port on my Router (I can move a device to the switch to provide a port).

5. Reserve the IP within my existing DHCP settings (so my router doesn't try and allocate a different address or give it to another device).

I figure this would use the Firewall of the Smart Modem, which I imagine are better than my existing router (mind you, it's only 18 months old, therefore probably not bad anyway).  I haven't looked at the Parental Controls of the Smart Modem but this isn't as important anymore.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 DHCP/Bridge

I don't think it will work because the gateway address of all your devices will be set to your existing router, this will result in devices trying to access internet through WAN port of existing router instead of WAN port of Smart modem.

DanFenton
Accepted Solution

Looks like I was overcomplicating it. If I leave the smart modem on default settings (which is a different ip segment from my network) and just plug it into the WAN port on my router it works fine.

It just means the smart modem is also performing route tasks but nothing is connected other than my Linksys Router.

I suppose I could turn wifi back on the smart modem and have a separate guest network for visitors. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

I don't think it will work because the gateway address of all your devices will be set to your existing router, this will result in devices trying to access internet through WAN port of existing router instead of WAN port of Smart modem.

DanFenton

Thank-you cf4.

That is a good point. I didn't think the default gateway mattered for internet traffic.

I might just plug the smart modem in (without the cable adapter) and see if the 4G backup internet can be accessed from a few devices.
DanFenton
Accepted Solution

Looks like I was overcomplicating it. If I leave the smart modem on default settings (which is a different ip segment from my network) and just plug it into the WAN port on my router it works fine.

It just means the smart modem is also performing route tasks but nothing is connected other than my Linksys Router.

I suppose I could turn wifi back on the smart modem and have a separate guest network for visitors. 

Highlighted

With that set up you have two NAT’s which will prevent some apps and games working properly. If you use that setup should set a static IP address for original router and put it in DMZ of smart modem.

DanFenton

Thanks again cf4

I thought the same thing myself and had made those changes this morning.

I haven't had a chance to test fully; I had to get a manual activation of the new modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now