CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
rv76
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000) – should mobile signal light be on?

Answered

Recently had F@st 5355 diagnosed as faulty and was sent out the Smart Modem 2 (LH1000) as a replacement.

I noticed that the modem signal light wasn’t on and having checked cf4’s excellent manual went into the modem and confirmed under Advanced > Internet > LTE that the device status was not ready, SIM status was not valid and network status was not Dormant. I rebooted the modem twice with no change.

I contacted Telstra support who said mobile signal light would not ‘come on until there was an outage’, they then passed me onto a ‘NBN person’ who also advised that the signal light would come on when there was an outage. This doesn’t seem to match what I’m reading in crowdsupport. We are in a reasonable signal area (85dBm), I can see from the tower from my window and speedtest on my mobile gives me a 65 Mbps up/35 down.

Two questions:

1. Should the mobile signal light be during normal day to day use?.

2. If so, technically how do I explain this to Telstra so it can be resolved?

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000) – should mobile signal light be on?

As SIM status is shown as not valid suggest you remove SIM and re insert SIM. The cut off corner goes in first and the metal contacts should be on the same side as Ethernet ports. SIM is located on back of modem near reset button.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 23: Superhero

I have a modem right in front of me, though I knew this already.

The "Modem Signal" light should be on absolutely  ALL the time in either of the 3 colours below.

Green is maximum mobile signal (eg 5 bars on a mobile phone)

Orange is good  mobile signal (eg 2 to 3 bars on a mobile phone)

Red is poor or no signal.

(Quite separately, as the internal antenna is directional, I can change my mobile signal LED from Orange to Green by horizontally rotating it's position about 90 degrees)

IF there is an NBN outage and it goes to 4G, only then  the "Mobile Mode" LED comes on....otherwise "Mobile Mode" is the only LED of the 5 that is not required to be on.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/News-Feed/What-do-the-lights-on-your-Telstra-modem-mean/ba-p/...

How you explain it to Telstra ?  That requires wisdom beyond my 75 years on this earth.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

PS Please be aware that faulty Gen 2 modems of both makes are almost legendary.

Telstra should not be arguing with you.

So, for you to have a faulty modem, you are not Robinson Crusoe.

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
rv76

Thanks for the feedback ProfessorPhone.

I actually have a getting-started guide and a seperate manual which gives me the lights as you explained. I'm convinced the support people thought I was talking about the Mobile Modem light and not the Mobile signal.I did explain I understood the difference and knew which light should be on and off but in the end they (politely) insisted that there wasn't a problem and would be well when the outage occurred. Hmm...

Regards

Thanks for the Likes.

If I use an Arcadyan (no air vents on the top and bottom of the sides.....and label below), I can only get an orange signal, but with my present Technicolor, I can get Green if I angle it a certain way!

rv76

I've only been an new owner of a SmartModem v2 for 48 hours and I'm already become aware of the differences between the Arcadyan (mine) and the Technicolor. For the moment I'll enjoy the lack of dropouts for the first time in 5 weeks. In the meantime I'll regroup and try to come up with a new way of asking Telstra to get the modem signal light on. Thanks again

Accepted Solution

As SIM status is shown as not valid suggest you remove SIM and re insert SIM. The cut off corner goes in first and the metal contacts should be on the same side as Ethernet ports. SIM is located on back of modem near reset button.

View solution in original post

rv76

Thanks cf4 -problem solved!.

Tried reinserting SIM twice and light came on green on second attempt. That has probably saved me another 45 minutes on the phone which I'd never get back.

Also kudos on the LH1000 manual, first thing I print off when I get a new modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more