CrowdSupport®
biala37
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem wifi connection issues with my samsung smart tv

As stated I am having issues constantly watching netflix or any of the apps that require wifi to connect to my samsung smart tv.  In order to fix I have to reset the modem.  Is this an issue with this particular modem.  I had no issues before the NBN upgrade?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Smart Modem wifi connection issues with my samsung smart tv

@biala37 You could try disabling band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings in the modem. This will result in a separate SSID for the 5 GHz band with -5G being added to the end of the SSID.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
biala37

Thank you for your reply, but you may as well be speaking another language for what you are suggesting, 

@biala37 wrote:

Thank you for your reply, but you may as well be speaking another language for what you are suggesting, 

@biala37 Log into your modem, go to Advance Settings/WiFi scroll down to WiFi Network and a little down from that heading you will see the Band Steering that you untick.

bs.jpg

biala37

Thank you OZMOZ I have successfully turned OFF Band Steering, will this fix my issue? 

@biala37 wrote:

Thank you OZMOZ I have successfully turned OFF Band Steering, will this fix my issue? 

@biala37 Hopefully, the band steering has been causing more issues than its worth. There is a couple of other settings we can try if this doesn't work?

I'm not sure if the modem has to be re-booted for the changes to come into effect. Make sure though that the new setting was saved.

You may have to re-connect your TV WiFi to a newer band if it doesn't do it automatically.

biala37

Good Morning, yes I saved the setting and needed to reboot the tv by holding down the on/off button until the Samsung logo appeared so things are working at the moment.

Thank you for your responses

biala37

Latest update on my connection problem.  If the tv is off say overnight there is no connection to the internet the next time I turn it on.  Connection is made by a restart of the tv by holding the on/off button until the Samsung logo appears then all is ok.  Samsung had me change the DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 still having the same problem.  Samsung want me to do a reset of the tv which I have not done

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

You could try setting a static IP address in the modem for the Samsung TV and the same static IP address in the Samsung TV network settings. To set a static address in the modem log into the modem and go to Advanced > Local Network > Static Leases.

You will need to know the MAC address of the TV. If you don't know the MAC address of the TV you can get it by going to the devices page in the modem. There is a list of all connected devices with there IP address. The devices page is located at

Advanced > Devices  Technicolor modems

Advanced > Local Network > Devices Arcadyan Modems

@biala37 wrote:

Latest update on my connection problem.  If the tv is off say overnight there is no connection to the internet the next time I turn it on.  Connection is made by a restart of the tv by holding the on/off button until the Samsung logo appears then all is ok.  Samsung had me change the DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 still having the same problem.  Samsung want me to do a reset of the tv which I have not done

@biala37 Ok, we can try this...

1. Go into your TV Settings/Network and select 'Connection Type" to Ethernet (I want it to forget it's old IP address). Also, check that "Wake on Wireless Network" is enabled. Some TV's might call it something else? (You can turn the Wake on Ethernet on as well) Now exit out of that back to the TV and turn your TV off.

2. Go back into your modem settings and under Wi-Fi Channel set Channel Width to Auto 20/40MHz (I highlighted that in red, and the couple in green should already be that, if not set it to that)

wifi.jpg

Scroll down to make sure Band Steering is unticked.

Now SAVE.

Since you turned your TV off you now need to turn your modem off. Either unplug the cord or turn off at power switch. Leave off for a few minutes.

Now turn the modem back on and allow it to fully boot. So you should have internet access back to your computer.

Now turn you TV back on, go back to your TV settings/Network and change "Connection Type" back to "Wireless". Exit out of that.

It should have a "Connection Test" option in the network settings so try that. All ok, exit back to your normal TV.

Now hopefully it will work as it should?

If you continue to have problems then you might have to go to a Ethernet Powerline Adapter. Which means you plug a device into the power plug near the modem and run an ethernet cable to that, and plug the second one in where the TV is and run an ethernet cable from that to the TV. If you did that you will of course have to change the 'connection type' of the TV network to Ethernet instead of wireless (As I explained in point 1.)

Hope this is of some help? :-)

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now