CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
L0max
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2 and Telstra Gateway Frontier

Answered

I have just received a Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2 (purchased online from Telstra) but there are no instructions included for setting it up with my Telstra Gateway Frontier modem. Can someone point me to a manual or something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
L0max
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2 and Telstra Gateway Frontier

So I went and plugged the WiFi booster in to an Ethernet port on the opposite side of the house to where the Frontier modem is. I had to log into the booster and set the SID and security key to be the same as that configured for the WiFi in the Frontier modem. After that it all seems to work OK! When I move from one end of the house to the other, WiFi signal stays at max, and I can see my iPhone MAC address appear on the WiFi booster devices page when I'm down that end of the house.

So maybe the "compatible only with Smart Modem Gen 2" stuff is only for the WiFi "mesh" stuff to work? (ie. when the booster is NOT connected via Ethernet to the same wired network as the modem).

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
MarethyuAS
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I believe they're only fully compatible with the Gen 1 & Gen 2 smart modem 

They should come with a quick start guide but try this it should take you to the guide

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/aem-cloud-content-migration-assets/internet/Ban...

Level 24: Supreme Being

The Gen 2 boosters are only compatible with the Gen 2 smart modem (DJA0232 and LH 1000) or Gen 1.1 smart modem (DJA0230) with latest firmware. The Telstra Gateway Frontier cannot act as a controller. You will need two, one connected to Gateway by LAN cable to act as controller for satellite booster.

L0max

What am I supposed to do with the booster if I don't have their gen 2 smart modem or whatever it's called? How does it work with the Frontier modem (which is what they supplied me)? There is only one booster thingy in the box - I don't want to buy 2 boosters!

Are you telling me that Telstra just sold me a $200 paper weight?

L0max
Accepted Solution

So I went and plugged the WiFi booster in to an Ethernet port on the opposite side of the house to where the Frontier modem is. I had to log into the booster and set the SID and security key to be the same as that configured for the WiFi in the Frontier modem. After that it all seems to work OK! When I move from one end of the house to the other, WiFi signal stays at max, and I can see my iPhone MAC address appear on the WiFi booster devices page when I'm down that end of the house.

So maybe the "compatible only with Smart Modem Gen 2" stuff is only for the WiFi "mesh" stuff to work? (ie. when the booster is NOT connected via Ethernet to the same wired network as the modem).

View solution in original post

Yes the compatibility issue is only a problem if you want to create an WiFi mesh using modem as the controller. You can create a WiFi mesh with any WiFi modem if you have at least two Gen 2 boosters so that one can act as a controller plugged into a LAN port of modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more